Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I said it a while ago I think, but I genuinely think I’d have taken Forest’s 16/17 season over ours, maybe without the needing to win on the last day for survival bit. A team essentially made up of youth players with a plan long term. It would’ve been more exciting and it’s something to get behind.

is this a wind up ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The next appointment needs to be genuinely long term. I don’t really care who he is, most of the candidates are much of a muchness and every one is a risk, but they have to be given the time to lay the foundations for a long term plan, not only by Mel but also by the fans and the players. They need to be given total support in any decision they make, if that’s making a £30k a week player train on their own, so be it. If we finish bottom half but there is long term visions being put in place, that needs to be acceptable. I think if Mel trusts his man, he wouldn’t mind that, it’s the fans I’m worried about.

I said it a while ago I think, but I genuinely think I’d have taken Forest’s 16/17 season over ours, maybe without the needing to win on the last day for survival bit. A team essentially made up of youth players with a plan long term. It would’ve been more exciting and it’s something to get behind.

I’ve got a sneaky feeling this will be long term. Not as long as Gary but longer than Nigel P. 

Just now, Eddie Lewis said:

is this a wind up ?

A season of seeing plenty of youth development of players I’d have an affinity to, playing exciting football for the most part, over a mid table season with 3 managers and some frankly horrible football played by each of them?

Nope, not a wind up.

i think its exactly the place to come, good fan base, established. I like the idea of a lampard, butt, scholes, scott parker or a young manager from division 1 or 2.

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The only way I would accept Lampard is if 'Arry came with him. This isn't really a job where you start your managerial 

59 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

He’s also said in the past that he sees England as a place he would like to undertake a challenge. Cruyff as DoF and somelike Stam as coach could be an exciting prospect and I imagine the football would be pretty attractive too

Don't think Reading Fans would agree

It’s a difficult choice between who I want and who we might need? We all want fast free flowing football that is successful but harder to get and what manager we can get to provide that or do we need a steady hand to see us through next season in the championship with a lot of the players we are stuck with.

smith at Brentford - play good football 

alex Neil at Preston - he has a record of galvanising squads and could be diamond in the pack for us

mick McCarthy - solid and dependable to get results and might turn a few careers around but obviously a short term appointment as mr Warnock will be at Cardiff 

what do we actually need 

47 minutes ago, bristolram said:

Alex Neil from Preston for me, he's done a great job at Preston so far on a small budget. Also got Norwich promoted, clearly young and ambitious, If Preston can afford then I imagine we can.

But he’s Scottish. Do we really want that annoying BD-esque patter?

important factors, such as this, are key parts of the sel futon process. 

1 hour ago, Arsene Titman said:

Fun??? It would be complete and utter disaster. Why don’t you read about his managerial record and his dodgy activities. 

I didn't say it would be a good idea. But many people on here seem to think that this season was the worst ever and the club is in a shocking state and ran terribley. Give them some fun you spoilsport!

If we employ Igor it will be a cotton wool over the eyes job. Mel would only employ him to make the fans happy, He has not proven that he can manage a team in England's top leagues let alone a club like Derby.  Our best bet is to approach Paul cook or Paul Simpson, Get someone in with recent success. I think Simpson would be Mel's first choice as he has links to loads of youngsters and is an ex ram......

4 minutes ago, Strider said:

How about - Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd. Done a great job at every club, can instill confidence in players like Leon Clarke who were previously considered average.

could turn Blackman into a world beater...ahem. But fair shout  - he is uneasy at the Blades

1 minute ago, irobinson said:

could turn Blackman into a world beater...ahem. But fair shout  - he is uneasy at the Blades

Sunderland's new owner will have to look further afield for a new manager with outstanding candidate Chris Wilder reportedly set to commit his future to Sheffield United.

10 minutes ago, Strider said:

How about - Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd. Done a great job at every club, can instill confidence in players like Leon Clarke who were previously considered average.

Expected to be announced today

9 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

But he’s Scottish. Do we really want that annoying BD-esque patter?

important factors, such as this, are key parts of the sel futon process. 

These things are massively important. Gary's voice became more and more gravelly as the season wore on. If you're going to have a voice like Sean Dyche then you really need to be producing results like Sean Dyche. Otherwise you're just irritating. 

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

If we employ Igor it will be a cotton wool over the eyes job. Mel would only employ him to make the fans happy, He has not proven that he can manage a team in England's top leagues let alone a club like Derby.  Our best bet is to approach Paul cook or Paul Simpson, Get someone in with recent success. I think Simpson would be Mel's first choice as he has links to loads of youngsters and is an ex ram......

I very much hope we don't go for Stimac - His track record is dreadful - And his Croatia team were best known for an inability to score goals - Rowett may play 'effective' football which I don't like but at least we still scored goals

Plus I love him too much - Have gone a little sour on Rowett now despite him being one of my favourite players in the past - Don't want to have that feeling for Igor too

9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Haven't had time to read all the posts but has anyone mentioned Chris Coleman. Think he has a good background and the experience at Sunderland will have hardened him up nicely.

What's he actually done at club level to make it look like he'd do a job for us?

Archived