Chris Martin

Waffle

We're all talking about getting rid of him etc, but if he's ill and hasn't had chance to show what he can do in the current squad/style/formation, I'd be inclined (and I'm sure Frank is too) to let him fight for a place and give him some minutes in cup games etc. Martin when he has support and players that Go beyond him, he can be lethal.

I'd keep him for another year because no one is gonna pay good money for him atm, but if he can rediscover even half the form he did a few seasons ago then he could be an asset.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SK47 said:

We're all talking about getting rid of him etc, but if he's ill and hasn't had chance to show what he can do in the current squad/style/formation, I'd be inclined (and I'm sure Frank is too) to let him fight for a place and give him some minutes in cup games etc. Martin when he has support and players that Go beyond him, he can be lethal.

I'd keep him for another year because no one is gonna pay good money for him atm, but if he can rediscover even half the form he did a few seasons ago then he could be an asset.

Why do you think he isn't training with the First Team instead of playing and training with U23 team (together with G. Thorne and J.Butterfield).

Is it because Frank counts on him for the future?

I don't think so.

On 16/08/2018 at 10:54, Duracell said:

The purpose of this sub-forum is to discuss and debate transfer of Derby County players.

People come here to read transfer news and talk about it. There is currently no transfer news regarding Chris Martin. Members seeing new content on this thread might expect to read about potential developments only to discover the same posters going on about how he’s been used by different managers, how what he’s eaten for breakfast might have given him colitis, how failing to visit his family in Beccles ruined his form etc etc.

For any Chris Martin medical advice, tactical debates, wardrobe fittings, revosionist history of his time at the club under different managers and much more, please visit the thread I’ve pulled from this one and added to Rams Talk: 

Can we just close this thread.      Its not really fair on Chris to speculate on his medical problems for want of something else in the way of news.  He may / may not be here by the end of the month. End of. Move on.........................

Is Chris Martin actually fit? 

If we are going to persist with 433 we could do a lot worse than bringing him back to play the 'Chris Martin' role.

Personally I don't think we should play 433 because it's predictable and so easy to counter. I can see why we'd like to get rid of Chris Martin. He's a very limited striker, with no pace, acceleration or spring. He is only effective in one system, so not at all flexible.

The thing is though, the one system that he's brilliant at happens to be the which we are utilising.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Is Chris Martin actually fit? 

If we are going to persist with 433 we could do a lot worse than bringing him back to play the 'Chris Martin' role.

Personally I don't think we should play 433 because it's predictable and so easy to counter. I can see why we'd like to get rid of Chris Martin. He's a very limited striker, with no pace, acceleration or spring. He is only effective in one system, so not at all flexible.

The thing is though, the one system that he's brilliant at happens to be the which we are utilising.

What you mean where 2 of Bryson, Mount, Johnson or whoever bombs on and links with his knock downs and lay offs. Where we create chances when team mates play close to him, rather than 20/30 yards apart.

Probably a dream at the minute but sounds good to me.

Out of all our strikers Martin is one of the only ones id keep

ive never been a fan of him & always thought he was overrated by some of our fans but he’s the only one that offers something different 

jerome is a poor mans nugent, waghorn is one season wonder & probably a waste of money imo. Chris Martin is the only one that offeres something different

Problem last season was Jerome on for Nugent etc all our changes were like for like... Chris Martin off the bench is our plan B ... i couldnt belive we loaned him out last year to then sign Jerome

3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

jerome is a poor mans nugent, waghorn is one season wonder & probably a waste of money imo. Chris Martin is the only one that offeres something different

So you've written off Waghorn after only two games? He was kicked from pillar to post yesterday, got bugger all protection from the ref or service from our midfield, yet still scored a perfectly good goal, but you've already seen enough to know he's a waste of money? Wow! 

24 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So you've written off Waghorn after only two games? He was kicked from pillar to post yesterday, got bugger all protection from the ref or service from our midfield, yet still scored a perfectly good goal, but you've already seen enough to know he's a waste of money? Wow! 

Feel like I watch a different game to some on here, all I’ve seen is criticism of Waghorn and Johnson, but I was there and I’m pretty sure they were our best two players! Certainly in the starting team anyway

i was there too mate , i certainly watched the same game as you , the only two of the starting eleven to come out of the game with any credit , Brad had a powerhouse 2nd half , he went toe to toe with the Millwall midfield , promising signs from Waggy , took a lot of stick with very little protection from the ref , another game or two and waggy will be a fans favourite, would like to see a start for Mason Bennett on tuesday , his performances when coming off the bench should earn him a starting place

On 19/08/2018 at 13:23, 86 points said:

How is that writing him off???  i just dont rate him from what ive seen of him so far in his career... just like if we over paid for someone like Nick Blackman after a purple patch at Reading i wouldbt be that impressed... the point i was making is as much as im not a fan of Martin he offers something different a bit of a plan B off the bench 

Archived