Chris Martin

Waffle

Chris Martin has played well for us in the past but was a few seasons ago now and as much i liked him then  for one reason or another he's not produced when given the chance. He has not been seen as the right player to play for us whether that be due to system/formation/poor form or maybe not being rated as good enough by the manager who see him in training or whatever has made managers not play him but fact is he has not been played much so is not as important a player as he was a few seasons ago and is a harsh reality of football, it happens.

He was poor at Reading on loan by all accounts but someone said he was not well so maybe that is why and when he's fit to resume hopefully he'll be banging on Franks door saying I really want to get into our team and i'm going to work hard or prove it in training or in under 23 games.

If he is not prepared to do that then i think we've seen the last of him in a first team shirt because I'm pretty sure if managers think someone is good enough or fits the game plan they get played when fit and CM has not been played by a few managers now so bearing that in mind i think its best if he's allowed to leave to further his career as he must be chomping at the bit to play first team football.

Its what he does now that is important not what he done 2-3 seasons ago and i wish him well in the future but basically Mac was wrong to give him a new contract . I also think we'll struggle to get a decent fee for him and maybe a loan to QPR might benefit everyone 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given his recent illness, Martin's immediate objective is to get minutes under his belt, which he has been building up gradually.  He's now completed two full 90 minutes after having not played since March. 

Interesting how much better he looked tonight after Louie Sibley came on - a young player with a footballing brain.

22 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think that's pretty harsh on a player getting his 1st ninety minutes of the season.

He made several knock-downs and a few passes that maybe would have led to something more productive if he was surrounded by the calibre of player he normally plays with.

I'm a massive Martin fanboy though, so maybe not the most unbiased source tbf.

I thank you for being honest about being a Martin fanboy. I myself am a Thorne fanboy and it hurts me to admit that he was average today (a step above dire). 

Butterfield was good. I try not to put personal biases in my opinions. Martin was playing Blackburn under 23's and he had chances fall to him as well. Even the commentary was talking about how Thorne to Martin passes reminded them of the Wembley season etc. 

Finally I debated Martin on here two or three months ago and said we would be lucky if any team came in for him. I stick with that statement. Unless we subsidise the large part of his wages. Sad it has come to this but it is the reality we face.

3 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

I thank you for being honest about being a Martin fanboy. I myself am a Thorne fanboy and it hurts me to admit that he was average today (a step above dire). 

Butterfield was good. 

Lol. That puts your opinions in perspective - he was dire, slowed down nearly every move. Dreadful free kick and little closing down. When 16 year old Sibley came on he showed what we’d been missing in midfield.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. That puts your opinions in perspective - he was dire, slowed down nearly every move. Dreadful free kick and little closing down. When 16 year old Sibley came on he showed what we’d been missing in midfield.

Have you ever said Martin has had a bad game?  It may upset you, but the reality is he is not good enough for the majority of championship clubs as evidenced by lack of interest in him. Feel free to live in the past.

I myself live in the past when it comes to Thorne so I can relate.

Well Martin’s either the worst footballer in the world or the best but it’s really tough to decide after reading this thread. 

Personally he’s alright, had a few poor seasons and is not as sharp as he once was due to lack of competitive football. 

Hes still as slow as treacle but is looking very fit. He either needs to be sold or kept in the first team as an option. 

No more loans for his sake, the fans sake and the clubs sake.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn’t it his free kick that led to the equaliser? Some of his passing was sublime too, particularly the one that freed Babos first half. Genius ball, great cross by Alex but Martin wasn’t up with play for what should have been a tap in. 

They and Thorne played because all three are available for loan because FL doesn’t want them. So it’s all wasted letters here really.

May have misunderstood what Craig Short was saying but he seemed to. Indicate the Thorne, Butterfield and Martin should play well to get a move to progress their careers. Thorne on a loan would be best. Difficult to argue again St the notion that they ha e at least to some degree been messed up by managerial roundabout. Eddie Howe is longest serving manager in Prem. 

13 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Lol. How ridiculous. He is the exponent of his own downfall. He thought he was better than he was. Lack of work ethic. Dubious fitness. Lacks the ability to understand his own shortcomings and the ethos to do anything about them. 

Oh dear. I'm really getting fed up of so called supporters having such negative one sided, all or nothing views of players. Sure Chris has his faults- everyone does. Arguments should be backed up with evidence. After 5 months of being on this site the vitriol and unpleasantness of some people is really getting me down. So goodnight and goodbye!

10 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Oh dear. I'm really getting fed up of so called supporters having such negative one sided, all or nothing views of players. Sure Chris has his faults- everyone does. Arguments should be backed up with evidence. After 5 months of being on this site the vitriol and unpleasantness of some people is really getting me down. So goodnight and goodbye!

On shifts or in New Zealand mate?

35 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Forums a great place mate,but sometimes you need a negativity break,when people lose all sense of reason.

You summed it up pretty well,Chris has his faults like everyone else,I completely agree.

Bloody good footballer though.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

With Martin we are looking back to a few years ago for his best form.

Surely its time to move on?

He was okay for Fulham, ‘ill’ at Reading. When has he had a chance to play himself into form for us? Early Snake season, he looked okay.

Looked okay as the game went on yesterday, but the starting lineup didn’t provide much/no service - bit like for Waghorn on Saturday! Looked better with Sibley and McAllister and trialist on, more movement and ideas happening.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was okay for Fulham, ‘ill’ at Reading. When has he had a chance to play himself into form for us? Early Snake season, he looked okay.

Looked okay as the game went on yesterday, but the starting lineup didn’t provide much/no service - bit like for Waghorn on Saturday! Looked better with Sibley and McAllister and trialist on, more movement and ideas happening.

Who was trialist mate?

Yaya?

Archived