Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course it is. If you have the home leg first, you want to take the game away from the away team.

We didn't do that.

Yes, we're still in the tie. Yes, we have a lead to protect. But I think we are asking too much of our defence to produce another grand defensive effort like that twice in four days.

If Fulham are going to dominate possession and play on the front foot for 60-65 minutes like they did tonight, they will create enough chances to wipe out the slender lead we have.

For them, it was a damage limitation exercise and so 1-0 gives them the advantage, in my opinion.

I think you're right. This was the first game this year they've failed to score, and I can't see that happening again. So, we'll need to score down there, or take it to penalties.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can barely speak - don't know if I can go  through another 90 minutes of that - just nullify them like we did today and we will be going to Wembley.

51 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Anya has looked bright the last few games he has played for us. Surely something in his contract is stopping him from being a permanent feature in our side.

I think it's more the continuous injuries due to his legs being made of glass. 

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Not sure that Fulham have got enough in the tank for the other leg. Rams defence safe AND sensible. No rashness. Proud of the team again!!!

Our players looked like they could barely move at the end. I think Fulham's team of youngsters is going to recover better than our old timers. 

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I wasn't trying to criticise Rowett merely pointing out that it's pointless setting up a team to play on the break if they don't have the calibre of players to actually hurt the opposition when they do break. 

We do have the players who have quality on the break. We didn't show it today, but the quality is there.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Our players looked like they could barely move at the end. I think Fulham's team of youngsters is going to recover better than our old timers. 

Not what I saw, Fulham looked lost for ideas

Great end to end match, where it would have been great to have scored a second in our first half dominance, but overall did well to keep in front with Fulham’s second half rejuvenation. 

I would have liked to have seen Palmer on for Weimann, as he seemed to have a knack for tripping over his feet at the key points tonight, but that’s nitpicking a good team performance. Think we’ll need an extra midfielder on Monday though. 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

I agree we should start every game 1 nill down so we have the advantage, jeez some of our fans should just accept a victory for what it is.  

It's a fully deserved win, but it is easy to look back and wonder if it could have been even better.

We were organised, committed, focused and like I said, defensively we were superb.

We got in so many promising positions, but we just lacked composure going forward and failed to kill off the tie.

I don't think it's an unfair assessment to say that Fulham will feel happy going into the second leg only 1-0 down. A better team than us would have put the contest out of sight.

3 defenders were top class tonight. Wisdom probably my motm (closely followed by Forsyth, both were vital in the first goal). Johnson, Weimann and Huddlestone also did a lot of the work you don’t necessarily notice but we’re positionally very good.

Good performance, but I’d feel happier if we had a 2-0 lead. Fulham have gears to go and we ant defend for 90 minutes.

Only down point is Vydra for me, not his formation but glad we are no longer a one man team if I’m honest 

1 minute ago, wixman1884 said:

Sums up our season pretty much. Glad to be going into the 2nd leg a goal up, but was hardly inspired by that. 

32312924_10156297585365797_6437092285103

Oh dear.  If the brum game last week taught anything it is you don’t chase possession against them or they destroy you.  The key stat is 1 nil.  Cheer up for gods sake

Wow. Amazed that some so-called Derby fans found so little to please them in tonight's performance. Yes, we were under the cosh for at least 35 minutes of the second half but we bossed the first half with Fulham creating absolutely nothing for all their possession. All the incisive breaks were ours and the only real chances created were our own. 

In the second half we rode our luck, no doubt, and on another night they might have equalised, but if you can't take any joy from the win tonight, you're probably then I'd question whether you're really a Rams fan at all.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, for sure, but do you really need to be pissing on people's cake when you could just as easily take a night off? Or are you just pissed off that a team and a manager you've spent a whole year demeaning is one step away from making you look like mugs? 

2 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

From "Rowett out" to master tactician in the space of about 4 weeks. That's this forum summed up. (Not saying you personally wanted him out, that's just the mood of the place)

I think I did say after the Burton game that I wasn’t bothered if he went and I thought his position was almost untenable. He deserves immense credit for turning it around however and I hold my hands up. 

Archived