Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If my aunt had a willy she’d be my uncle. If a couple of our passes hasn’t been slightly over hit we would’ve scored a couple more as well. 

Generally agree with this sentiment, but I don't think it's unfair to say we were fortunate tonight. There's very fine lines between a 'tactical masterclass' and 'clueless, negative, blah blah blah' performance. Glad it went our way though. 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course it is. If you have the home leg first, you want to take the game away from the away team.

We didn't do that.

Yes, we're still in the tie. Yes, we have a lead to protect. But I think we are asking too much of our defence to produce another grand defensive effort like that twice in four days.

If Fulham are going to dominate possession and play on the front foot for 60-65 minutes like they did tonight, they will create enough chances to wipe out the slender lead we have.

For them, it was a damage limitation exercise and so 1-0 gives them the advantage, in my opinion.

Let them dominate; let them have possession. Pretty football doesn’t win games so get behind the boys or send any access to a Wembley ticket you might have to someone who will!!!!

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to save a comment for that **** of a ref though, where the hell do they find them! Could’ve said he was shahid khan himself and I’d have believed you.

Thought the ref was quite lenient on us especially in the first half with lots of persistent niggly fouls going unpunished. But that's just my opinion.

Sith Happens

Amazes me the amount of people ejaculating over Fulham's possession and play...despite creating very little.. Yet when clement was in charge of us and we had lots of possession while creating little people thought it was rubbish. 

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Fulham’s home record has been amazing this year. They beat Wolves, Villa and Sheff Utd all by 2+ goals over the past few months.

They won’t be fazed by being a goal down. 1-0 is a decent scoreline if away goals count. As they don’t it’s a slender advantage. Bookies will still have them as favourites to advance.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pearce come in at CB and Forsyth move to LWB, Weimann further forward and Vydra to the bench. 

We may even being in Ledley and go 5-3-1-1 with three holding midfielders and then Lawrence/Weimann ans Jerome as a front two.

We had no press in midfield. Play like that at CC and with their fans roaring them on we will be in big trouble.

I expect Vydra will start on the bench. He doesn’t really suit the three at the back system. He looked lost and frustrated tonight.

They went 23 games unbeaten, and have just lost their 2 biggest games in a row now..... I could see the frustration in them tonight. I doubt them mentally on Monday. I think we have got inside their heads. I really thought all they thought was to turn up and win tonight, they were so one dimensional all game. 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Weimann having a classic stinker. Shame because he’s been excellent recently. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Anya coming on took him away from wing-back and he's still been poor in fairness.

I like Weimann but not his day. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm hoping he gets a second in the dying seconds - he's crap.

This'll be the same Weimann who linked up the attack, and then cut infield take two defenders with him, leaving Fozzie with all the time in the world to measure up his cross to Jerome will it?

3 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

This'll be the same Weimann who linked up the attack, and then cut infield take two defenders with him, leaving Fozzie with all the time in the world to measure up his cross to Jerome will it?

Well said , does things you don't realise unless you really watch the game , not just watch the obvious. 

Just now, Grimbeard said:

Yes, that’s the guy. 

Cant argue with his big part in the goal, but you can’t deny he found himself in 3/4 killer situations and fluffed his lines every time. 

As I said in my post, it’s a shame, because the Weimann we’ve seen of late would have made something out of those opportunities. Not many Derby players lower than 7/10 tonight, but he had a bad game.

I don’t want to dwell on it though, it was a great overall team performance. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, RedSmog said:

Have to say from a neutral Fulham just didnt turn up and looked uninterested 

Missing out on an auto might of battered their heads a bit ?

Half way there . good luck 

And you..Mel is pretty generous and likely to agree to letting the losers at Wembley take the proceeds. And I'd rather boro have it than villa ? 

Seriously though you could be right they bottled it at Birmingham, maybe it's got to them. Do hope it's derby and boro final.

we beat fulham with 10 men ...Tom lawrence was absolutely useless. Still the atmosphere was great worth all of my 25 quid sat 3 seats from Don (I hate derby ) Goodman..well he was stood up doing his boring commentary lol

A fantastic result tonight. 

For all fulhams possession the only got in behind us once all night, and never looked like scoring. 

Tonight was the first time for a long while that I was not worried about the opposition scoring a late goal. 

Look forward to the seige on Monday night. 

Let's hope it is tonight's team that turn up and not the Sunderland / Burton debacle. 

Looking forward to seeing you all again at Wembley. COYR. 

2 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Let them dominate; let them have possession. Pretty football doesn’t win games so get behind the boys or send any access to a Wembley ticket you might have to someone who will!!!!

Their domination and their possession didn't prove to be decisive tonight. But with only one goal separating the teams, it just might be decisive on Monday.

I'm delighted we won and kept a clean sheet and definitely Rowett and the team have exceeded my expectations in recent weeks. But it is tinged with disappointment that we didn't put ourselves in a more comfortable position going into the second leg.

I really wanted us to win 2 or 3-0 as we would have had one foot in the final.

As it is, I think Fulham will feel confident about overturning a one-goal lead. Even though we have the numerical advantage on the scoreboard, the overall advantage lies with Fulham because they are playing at home in the second leg and only need to take one chance to wipe out all our hard work from today's game.

And if you allow a team to have 70% possession and control large parts of the game, that chance will come.

18 minutes ago, KCG said:

I thought Weimann put in a good shift, but he does lack composure. Lawrence always seems to make the wrong decision. The biggest disappointment was Vydra, who didn't seemed to be interested, we as good as played the first 65 mins with 10 players. 9 of our starting 11 were excellent. Johnson, Huddlestone and Davies were the stand out players

Apart from the first 15 mins of the second half I thought we were comfortable.  We seemed very subdued at the start of the second for some reason and gave Fulham far too much room and space. Our fans were also strangely subdued and silent at the start of the second. The subs gave us fresh impetus and Gary was right in saying we should have done better.

Well done The Rams!

COYR

A balanced appraisal - what the hell are you doing on this forum? ?

Archived