Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

Friday 11th May 19.45/7.45pm

The clash of the titans first leg is under the lights this Friday, night matches bring with them great atmospheres.

If we can create an atmosphere like the game against Cardiff and also against Southampton and Brighton then we stand a good chance of gaining an advantage to take into the return fixture in west London.

Will we turn on the style and go for a win or set up not to lose?  Our attacking play was quite fluid against Barnsley, but obvious Fulham will be a different prospect. The lad Ryan Sessegnon plays as a left back or winger tore us a new one at home earlier in the season. Tom Cainey is their playmaker and pulls most of the strings and scores a few also.   Mitrović has contributed a lot of goals since coming in from Newcastle, 12 goals in 16 appearances is a bit frightening.

But we have the golden boot winner in our team, will he start? Weimann has been great most of the season too, he’s a threat too. Let’s hope Jerome is fit after going off with what looked like a hamstring.

Our defence looks solid again, the midfield has improved let’s hope we can do enough over two legs.

whats word on d’street?

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to match them in the midfield otherwise Fulham will pick us off one by one. Palmer playing a deeper role than Vydra usually does and Lawrence to play right up front with Jerome when we have possession. Vydra isn’t disciplined enough

Carson

Keogh     Davies   Forsyth 

Wisdom  Huddlestone Johnson Weimann    

Palmer         Lawrence  

Jerome      

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

We have to match them in the midfield otherwise Fulham will pick us off one by one. Palmer playing a deeper role than Vydra usually does and Lawrence to play right up front with Jerome when we have position. Vydra isn’t disciplined enough

Carson

Keogh     Davies   Forsyth 

Wisdom  Huddlestone Johnson Weimann    

Palmer         Lawrence  

Jerome      

Why does Palmer deserve to get in ahead of Vydra...... Fulham are not as good as we think, let them worry about us instead of the other way.....

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Why does Palmer deserve to get in ahead of Vydra...... Fulham are not as good as we think, let them worry about us instead of the other way.....

Because Palmer is disciplined and works hard for the team unlike Vydra and has the experience of winning a play offs with Huddersfield last season. If we think purely about our game, Fulham could embarrass us as they are a much better team with better technique so they will play around us and are younger, fitter and stronger. The midfield battle is key and if we win that then we have a much better chance in my opinion. Johnson and Huddlestone on their own will get outnumbered.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because Palmer is disciplined and works hard for the team unlike Vydra and has the experience of winning a play offs with Huddersfield last season. If we think purely about our game, Fulham could embarrass us as they are a much better team with better technique so they will play around us and are younger, fitter and stronger. The midfield battle is key and if we win that then we have a much better chance in my opinion. Johnson and Huddlestone on their own will get outnumbered.

Didn’t Vydra win the play offs with Watford?

I really don’t get your logic, that Palmer should be ahead of Vydra......

Too be honest, with regards discipline..... Vydra is streets ahead of Palmer in that respect. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Didn’t Vydra win the play offs with Watford?

I really don’t get your logic, that Palmer should be ahead of Vydra......

Too be honest, with regards discipline..... Vydra is streets ahead of Palmer in that respect. 

As far as I’m aware Vydra has been in two play offs and has lost both of them(against Crystal Palace and Leicester). In this sort of game, we can only afford to carry one of Vydra or Lawrence for me. The midfield battle is key. Palmer also has the work ethic whereas Vydra goes missing throughout games and throws strops.

As far as I’m aware Vydra has been in two play offs and has lost both of them(against Crystal Palace and Leicester). In this sort of game, we can only afford to carry one of Vydra or Lawrence for me. The midfield battle is key. Palmer also has the work ethic whereas Vydra goes missing throughout games and throws strops.

Granted I got play offs wrong..... must of thrown a lot of strops and had no discipline to win these accolades.....

Oh and a automatic promotion.

2040A2DB-E590-4091-8537-C4616C5D656E.png

"There are teams who play it hard - Rough & Tumble I call it - and there are teams who like to play 'proper' like we do.

Rough & Tumble in my book includes Cardiff - they are a poor footballing side but they battle like crazy and have a manager who can motivate like no other.  And they won't last five mins in the Prem.

We by contrast, would last more than 5 mins - with some astute additions - but don't seem to be able to cut it against, rugged, uncomprimising teams - a la Birmingham.

In the play off's the Coach needs to chuck some of his purist principles out of the door and realise we have to square up.  Derby will have no principals so we need to adopt a 'bottle' mode without being in any way dirty.  It's the only way."

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b54cmgj49tqgsp4d4flklnv0d1&topic=65181.0

Forget about matching them, disrupt and rough em up, they don't like it. 

Quite a few "bottle" related threads on the Fulham forum tonight, including calls "We need a sports psychologist and quick !" Wouldn't think they have been on the insane run, clearly gutted after todays result. 

Ramage spoke about it pre match, we would have the edge if we came through today as Fulham/Cardiff would be battling with the disappointment of automatic failure. I agreed.

Take them on in a football game, we won't be heading to Wembley, turn it into a battle start booking your hotels.

WBA were the "better team", Derby went up.

Derby were the "better team", QPR went up.

Huddersfield went up with 3 play off draws, taking the win from the spot.

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Granted I got play offs wrong..... must of thrown a lot of strops and had no discipline to win these accolades.....

Oh and a automatic promotion.

2040A2DB-E590-4091-8537-C4616C5D656E.png

And did you see how Watford lined up? Their whole system was to set up to make Vydra do as little work as possible. They played Vydra, Deeney and ighalo up front and the latter 2 did all of Vydra’s donkey work for him. We can’t afford that as we are nowhere near as good as that Watford team. Vydra’s has a brilliant individual season but as a team, his lack of work rate restricts us. Gary can see that which is why he hasn’t started much recently.

Just now, David said:

Where has he said that?

Why hasn’t he started then? It’s obvious, on many occasions especially in the past month, Vydra has thrown his arms in the air and stops trying when things don’t go his way. Vydra’s goals have covered over the cracks over his general performances.

And did you see how Watford lined up? Their whole system was to set up to make Vydra do as little work as possible. They played Vydra, Deeney and ighalo up front and the latter 2 did all of Vydra’s donkey work for him. We can’t afford that as we are nowhere near as good as that Watford team. Vydra’s has a brilliant individual season but as a team, his lack of work rate restricts us. Gary can see that which is why he hasn’t started much recently.

I give up, you are entirely correct in everything you say, I think we should play Hanson there..... drop BJ into the u23s, Palmer to start..... 

Just now, McLovin said:

Why hasn’t he started then? It’s obvious, on many occasions especially in the past month, Vydra has thrown his arms in the air and stops trying when things don’t go his way. Vydra’s goals have covered over the cracks over his general performances.

So he hasn't then, just your opinion which is fine, just don't see the need to back yourself up saying Rowett agrees with you having never said anything of the kind.

Let them come - their unbeaten record is over, their automatic promotion challenge has gone, and they must be a bit fearful of us based on recent results.  Let's rattle them, win the first leg and take it from there. UTR

I’d be interested to see how many of Vydra’s goals have resulted in us getting points. Many of his goals appear to come in games that are already over and his stats are heavily inflated by penalties. Is Vydra having a brilliant season individually? Absolutely but as a team we haven’t really benefited greatly. Similar to Ince of last season. 

Archived