Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

One thing I hand't really noticed up until the last few days is how narky and provocative certain people can get, even when you're going out of your way to not get into silly arguments.

After nearly 9 years of being here, I should probably know better,

You want sum?

?

People who pip their horn when pulling up to someone's house when picking them up. 

a)  Get out and knock on their door.

b) They should be looking out for you already so a) should not be necessary.

c) If you are lazy and they aren't the type to be ready, give them a phone call, text or whatsapp message.

Whatever you do, stop beeping your horn at 6am to let them know you are outside. Inconsiderate twits.

Traffic lights runners

now we’ve all Amber gambled at some point .. don’t deny it ... weather was wet and there was someone up your rear as they changed, your in a huge hurry / panic and you play the percentage and anyway you were crossing as it changed blah blah. You try not to and generally don’t but none of us is driven snow. 

BUT .. now it seems you can cross a red light .. I mean bright I changed 10 seconds ago red ..  I stop with ease and someone comes round the outside from 4 lengths back and still runs the light. My wife stopped near Ashbourne  road the other day and the van behind her actually pulled out and went round her ..blatant madness. 

is it arrogance, is it that traffic has slowed so much that they know they’ll get away with it, is it that cars are so much better that people feel insulated ? 

I don’t know ... but round town every single day I see it happen all the time ... gets my goat 

On 26/11/2018 at 11:40, angieram said:

Having your eyebrows threaded. Whoever invented that way of stealing a living by taking money from gullible young women (and your mate)?!

Why is it stealing a living?

I have mine done; it's cheaper than waxing, and more effective and less painful than plucking. It's also a pretty skilful technique.

£4 to not look like Cara Delevigne = money well spent. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2018 at 21:33, jono said:

Traffic lights runners

now we’ve all Amber gambled at some point .. don’t deny it ... weather was wet and there was someone up your rear as they changed, your in a huge hurry / panic and you play the percentage and anyway you were crossing as it changed blah blah. You try not to and generally don’t but none of us is driven snow. 

BUT .. now it seems you can cross a red light .. I mean bright I changed 10 seconds ago red ..  I stop with ease and someone comes round the outside from 4 lengths back and still runs the light. My wife stopped near Ashbourne  road the other day and the van behind her actually pulled out and went round her ..blatant madness. 

is it arrogance, is it that traffic has slowed so much that they know they’ll get away with it, is it that cars are so much better that people feel insulated ? 

I don’t know ... but round town every single day I see it happen all the time ... gets my goat 

My real gripe is the way pedestrians at zebra crossings are totally ignored by drivers. I can't count the number of times I stop when I see someone waiting...and at least 2 or 3 cars coming other way just carry on driving.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

My real gripe is the way pedestrians at zebra crossings are totally ignored by drivers. I can't count the number of times I stop when I see someone waiting...and at least 2 or 3 cars coming other way just carry on driving.

Agreed... but it works both ways.  Pedestrians continuing to cross on a pelican/pedestrian controlled crossing long after the green man has finished flashing, and the traffic light has gone green.  Morledge near the bus station can be particular bad for this... and then there's those who prefer to cross over 20m down the road from the official crossing!

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Isn’t the rule that a pedestrian has to set foot on the crossing before a motorist has to stop?

Mind you, most men seem to stop for a yummy mummy, funny that!

3 hours ago, steve brummie said:

Isn’t the rule that a pedestrian has to set foot on the crossing before a motorist has to stop?

A pedestrian has right of way at all times.

The rules seem slightly different in European countries where it seems the rule is a motorist must do everything in their power to run down a pedestrian on a zebra crossing.

I'm way too late on this band wagon to catch up properly. But here's one that's been pissing me right off recently... Polite drivers! 

The example is, you're waiting patiently to turn right out of a junction. You've not been waiting long, you're in no rush. You can see a gap on the horizon, just after that red car, that's your chance. But then the red car starts to slow down. You're not sure what his intentions are or what's going on. You're getting a bit pensive, because you can see your window of opportunity narrowing as the car behind him starts to close the gap. Then eventually he comes to a stop and flashes you. You're not ready for that, so you're caught on the back foot and get your feet in a mess, and end up stalling. Then he's looking at you like a banker, while you're blocking traffic.

If he had just carried on his day as normal, without taking it upon himself to decide that the normal rules of the road are not appropriate for this situation, and they need him to give it a helping hand, everything would have gone quite smoothly.

Now, had it been a static queue of traffic, you leave a gap, that's the rule (and it pisses me off equally when people don't understand that rule, and beep at me for having to force my way out in front of them cos they didn't leave a gap!)

And it always seems to be the car at the end of a stream of traffic. The one where it wouldn't have made the slightest difference if he'd have carried on.

It also applies when you're a pedestrian. I tell my kids, 'we're going to cross after this blue car.' Then the sodding blue car slows down and lets us cross. Like he's doing me a ducking favour. He's a) thrown me off my stride, so now I'm half tipping my daughter out of her pushchair while I try to get off the curb, cos now I don't want to inconvenience him by taking too long about crossing, and b) not helping me to teach my kids how to cross the road.

So, in summary, don't be a polite driver. Just stick to the rules of the road, that way everyone is on the same page, and everything will work out fine for everyone.

35 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I'm way too late on this band wagon to catch up properly. But here's one that's been pissing me right off recently... Polite drivers! 

The example is, you're waiting patiently to turn right out of a junction. You've not been waiting long, you're in no rush. You can see a gap on the horizon, just after that red car, that's your chance. But then the red car starts to slow down. You're not sure what his intentions are or what's going on. You're getting a bit pensive, because you can see your window of opportunity narrowing as the car behind him starts to close the gap. Then eventually he comes to a stop and flashes you. You're not ready for that, so you're caught on the back foot and get your feet in a mess, and end up stalling. Then he's looking at you like a banker, while you're blocking traffic.

If he had just carried on his day as normal, without taking it upon himself to decide that the normal rules of the road are not appropriate for this situation, and they need him to give it a helping hand, everything would have gone quite smoothly.

Now, had it been a static queue of traffic, you leave a gap, that's the rule (and it pisses me off equally when people don't understand that rule, and beep at me for having to force my way out in front of them cos they didn't leave a gap!)

And it always seems to be the car at the end of a stream of traffic. The one where it wouldn't have made the slightest difference if he'd have carried on.

It also applies when you're a pedestrian. I tell my kids, 'we're going to cross after this blue car.' Then the sodding blue car slows down and lets us cross. Like he's doing me a ducking favour. He's a) thrown me off my stride, so now I'm half tipping my daughter out of her pushchair while I try to get off the curb, cos now I don't want to inconvenience him by taking too long about crossing, and b) not helping me to teach my kids how to cross the road.

So, in summary, don't be a polite driver. Just stick to the rules of the road, that way everyone is on the same page, and everything will work out fine for everyone.

Sorry @TigerTedd, but you're shifting the blame for your poor clutch control onto a blameless 3rd party.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Do what I do TT - refuse to accept the polite offer by being even politer - "No, No after you.  It's your right of way.  Thank you so much for stopping but I choose to wait. I'll go when it's the correct thing for me to do."  It irritates the life out of them

On 15/12/2018 at 22:55, TigerTedd said:

Long rant

Never caused me to stall but I know what you mean. Often they'll flash you without actually looking at what  traffic there is going the other way and before you've even had chance to check yourself, as if you're just supposed to trust them that it's clear.

Then there are the weirdos who flash at you to say you're safe changing lanes... from about 90 yards behind you! Err yeah, I didn't actually need your help to see that, thanks!

15 hours ago, Matt H said:

Never caused me to stall but I know what you mean. Often they'll flash you without actually looking at what  traffic there is going the other way and before you've even had chance to check yourself, as if you're just supposed to trust them that it's clear.

Then there are the weirdos who flash at you to say you're safe changing lanes... from about 90 yards behind you! Err yeah, I didn't actually need your help to see that, thanks!

Yes, I hate that. And people who flash you through when it’s your right of way anyway, and then seem to expect a thanks for letting you through. 

On 15/12/2018 at 06:44, Chester40 said:

On 15/12/2018 at 15:13, steve brummie said:

On 15/12/2018 at 18:36, Paul71 said:

A pedestrian has right of way at all times.

The rules seem slightly different in European countries where it seems the rule is a motorist must do everything in their power to run down a pedestrian on a zebra crossing.

Rule 195

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

Essentially you don't have to stop unless the pedestrian has stepped foot on the crossing

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rule 195

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

Essentially you don't have to stop unless the pedestrian has stepped foot on the crossing

That’s what my driving instructor told me when I learned to drive........in 1972!