James McClean

Andrew3000

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blimey. What's that, four times what they paid?

Move on. I'd rather keep Johnny russell than pay £6 million for McClean, especially if even that isn't enough. 

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

Getting really annoying now opening this thread to see some people arguing over his political status

please can we keep it transfer related because that’s really why I click on transfer talk.

Kindly take it to rams talk, or the pub. 

No, because if we were to sign him this is exactly the baggage that comes with him and, it can’t be separated, this guy is trouble and would seriously detract from the football, every game, move along GR

He would fit our ethos very well, with regards to playing style - nothing else. 

I have read time & time again about the Poppy, but for me it's really not worth the discussion. He has his reasons, rightly or wrongly, so let him have a bit of freedom to express himself. The poppy to him doesn't represent what it does to us. It's like people fighting over religion, it's worth accepting that people have different viewpoints and beliefs, no matter how much you believe your own. 

Good player. I would like us to look elsewhere for £6m, but it's football I guess. It doesn't buy much in terms of proven talent anymore. 

On 1/28/2018 at 13:02, Nuwtfly said:

Would be an excellent signing. He'd perform very well at this level. 

To those who have instantly chundered into their coffees over this: please read some of the very articulate, measured things James McClean has said on his reasons for not wearing the poppy. Politics should play no part in football, but for those who insist on making it so, you should warrant yourself some balance by hearing both sides of what is an extremely complex story. 

When he articulated his reasons for not wearing the poppy, I understood his position and thought fair play. However I thought it was disgraceful and extremely disrespectful when he turned his back on the flag during the national anthem in a friendly for West Brom. I'm not asking him to stand there hand on heart and belt out god save the queen but he should at least show a little bit of respect to the country where he lives and earns a staggering amount of money. 

Politics has no place in football, which is why his explanation on the poppy being forced on him had some weight. It's just a shame he had to be a hypocritical tool by bringing politics into football through the flag incident.

In terms of ability he'd be a great signing for this level and has the particular set of skills to really thrive in this team. He's fast, has a sweet left foot, puts a shift in and tackles very hard. He's an upgraded Johnny Russell I suppose, just with more baggage. I'm not sure whether I'd sign him though because even if he hypothetically got us across the finishing line at the end of the season, I'd still despise the man. I suppose if we get him I'll just be happy we've got a good player and if we don't I'll be happy we've avoided someone like him.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I can't disagree, but maybe that attitude is exactly what his detractors hope to achieve?

A very pertinent point of view.

This is another fine example of PC madness forcing their personal hatred and uneducated views down our throats. Remember McClean has done nothing illegal yet some of the contributors are more than happy to see him continually hounded and in this case endeavour to restrict or influence his future employment.

Mc Clean would be an excellent signing and with Russell departing just what we need to get us over the line. Phenomenal work rate, not frightened to put his foot in, capable of a quality delivery and will commit to the cause.

It speaks volumes for GR if the rumours are true and demonstrates how far we have come in such a short space of time. His vision is excellent and I sincerely hope this comes off.

6 million for McClean can't be true. Same person who reported we bod 8 million for Oliveria before we signed Jerome as has been noted, and one of the papers that reported the 6million bid for Flint.

Hardly reliable. 

If we're spending big, i'd rather a younger player, someone who can develop as a player here and grow in value. At 28, McClean will only decrease in value. 

Archived