James McClean

Andrew3000

14 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You can’t really change the subject from James McClean in a James McClean thread. :blink:

A Potted History of Blancmanges

Blancmange , from French blanc-manger, is a sweet dessert commonly made with milk or cream and sugar thickened with gelatin, cornstarch or Irish moss (a source of carrageenan), and often flavored with almonds. It is usually set in a mould and served cold. Although traditionally white, blancmanges are frequently given alternative colours. Some similar desserts are Bavarian cream, vanilla pudding (in US usage), panna cotta, the Turkish muhallebi, and haupia.

Image from freeimages.com, Photo by Nathalie Dulex.

The historical blancmange originated some time in the Middle Ages and usually consisted of capon or chicken, milk or almond milk, rice and sugar and was considered to be an ideal food for the sick. Tavuk göğsü is a sweet contemporary Turkish pudding made with shredded chicken, similar to the medieval European dish.

The true origin of the blancmange is obscure, but it is believed by some that it was a result of the Arab introduction of rice and almonds in early medieval Europe. However, there is no evidence of the existence of any similar Arab dishes from that period; though the Arabic mahallabīyah is similar, its origins are uncertain. Several other names for related or similar dishes existed in Europe, such as the 13th-century Danish hwit moos (“white mush”), and the Anglo-Norman blanc desirree (“white Syrian dish”); Dutch calijs (from Latin colare, “to strain”) was known in English as cullis and in French as coulis, and was based on cooked and then strained poultry. The oldest recipe found so far is from a copy of the oldest extant Danish cookbook, written by Henrik Harpestræng, who died in 1244, which dates it to the early 13th century at the latest. The Danish work may simply be a translation of a German work which is in turn assumed to have been based on a Latin or Romance vernacular manuscript from the 12th century or even earlier.

The “whitedish” (from the original Old French term blanc mangier) was an upper-class dish common to most of Europe during the Middle Ages and early modern period. It occurs in countless variations from recipe collections from all over Europe and is mentioned in the prologue to Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales and in an early 15th-century cookbook written by the chefs of Richard II. The basic ingredients were milk or almond milk, sugar and shredded chicken (usually capon) or fish, and often combined with rosewater, rice flour, and mixed into a bland stew. Almond milk and fish were used as substitutes for the other animal products on fast days and Lent. It was also often flavored with spices like saffron or cinnamon and the chicken could be exchanged for various types of fowl, like quail or partridge. Spices were often used in recipes of the later Middle Ages since they were considered highly prestigious. The whitedish was one of the preparations that could be found in recipe collections all over Europe and one of the few truly international dishes of medieval and early modern Europe.

On festive occasions and among the upper classes, whitedishes were often rendered more festive by various colouring agents: the reddish-golden yellow of saffron; green with various herbs; or sandalwood for russet. In 14th-century France, parti-colouring, the use of two bright contrasting colours on the same plate, was especially popular and was described by Guillaume Tirel (also known as Taillevent), one of the primary authors of the later editions of Le Viandier. The brightly coloured whitedishes were one of the most common of the early entremets, edibles that were intended to entertain and delight through a gaudy appearance, as much as through flavour.

An illustrated Victorian Cookery Book suggested this “modern” mould.

In the 17th century, the whitedish evolved into a meatless dessert pudding with cream and eggs and, later, gelatin. In the 19th century, arrowroot and cornflour were added and the dish evolved into the modern blancmange.

By the 18th century, noted chef Antonin Carême remarked:“These delicious sweets are greatly esteemed by gastronomes, but, to be enjoyed, they must be extremely smooth and very white. Given these two qualities (so rarely found together), they will always be preferred to other creams, even to transparent jellies. This is because almond is very nourishing and contains creamy, balsamic properties which are just right for sweetening the bitterness of humors.”

Blancmange was considered both a delicate dish for the table as well as a wonderful food for invalids. In her 1800 book, The Complete Confectioner, Hannah Glasse offers several varieties of Blanc Mange (“a fine side dish”, she later notes). Jenny Underwood of  National Trust has adapted Hannah’s recipe, for Jerseylovesfood.com. Hannah’s recipes follow.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The entire roi team wore shirts commemorating the 1916 easter uprising which amounts to the same thing as the badge he is pictured wearing.

Best sack Keogh and Pearce off now then.

The Irish shirt clearly defined the year 1916-2016, I didn’t believe that they had the lily on it did they? The difference is that the lily is associated with other affiliations, if it was in reference to the Easter uprising  and I have no reason to believe it wasn’t, once again after his stance on poppies and what they do and don’t represent he maybe should have thought twice before (if it is a real picture) wearing. 

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No your original point was him wearing a badge which was an IRA badge, which it isn't. Most republicans wear it as a peace symbol to commemorate those that died during the uprising in 1916.

Including one who was so badly injured, the British tied him to a chair so he could face his firing squad.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No your original point was him wearing a badge which was an IRA badge, which it isn't. Most republicans wear it as a peace symbol to commemorate those that died during the uprising in 1916.

And it also commemorates members of the IRA, who are a terrorist organisation ....When I say original point, I meant this whole thread!

A 31 page thread in less than a day where we are given no idea how he plays football but learn all about Northern Ireland and the IRA illustrates the unnecessary drama surrounding the player. We need sights firmly set on our football, our next game, and promotion. No distractions.

This whole thread just shows how divisive he would be if he came here (which he's not apparently)

A few posters seem to have extreme partisan views one way or another.  But it does need a measured, balanced view to counter those whose views are coloured by the deeds of the IRA (ignoring the atrocities the British carried out) and those who uphold the Irish side (forgetting the atrocities carried out by the IRA or condoning them and in the Irish civil war). The tale of Anglo-Irish history even before the Ulster Plantations is a fascination but bloody one of political intrigue, machinations, double-dealing, murder, atrocities, etc on both sides and from which neither side emerges with any honour  

but this is all history and over time will be forgotten.  Who now remembers the Bruces' invasion of Ireland in early 14th century to try to create a Celtic alliance of Scotland, Wales and Ireland against England, and accompanied by countless atrocities across Ireland?  Not many would even know except for old saddo's like me   The point is that in conflicts across the world there is no black and white (except of course for us Derby fans). 

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

A 31 page thread in less than a day where we are given no idea how he plays football but learn all about Northern Ireland and the IRA illustrates the unnecessary drama surrounding the player. We need sights firmly set on our football, our next game, and promotion. No distractions.

I can't disagree, but maybe that attitude is exactly what his detractors hope to achieve?

I can't imagine he'd be happy to be led out for a match by a cloven hoofed representative of the British establishment anyway, so the entire thread is probably pointless anyway.*

* I meant Private Derby btw, not Richard Keogh.

On 28/01/2018 at 18:35, cannable said:

Forget all that other ********

What sort of ******* searches his own name on Twitter just to reply to somebody not rating him with how much money he has? 

He was tagged in by someone else, so just probably read through the comments. 

On 28 January 2018 at 20:27, PodgeyRam said:

Regarding the Clough one, I apologise. I got my timelines mixed up (I'm not sure how) and thought his suicide was much closer to his time at Forest than it actually was. However, the fact he came out as gay was part of Clough's reasoning for dropping him. He even suspended him:

His manager at Nottingham Forest, Brian Clough, suspended him at the time and told The Observer last week: 'I paid a million quid for him. He couldn't score goals and he was a bit dodgy off the field.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/aug/03/sport.comment3

As long as McLean isn't hurting anyone or advocating  for hurting anyone I don't see what the problem is to be honest. People have differing opinions on things all the time. Doesn't mean he can't do the job that's being asked of him.

Fashanu came out in 1990 which I think was well after he left forest. The guardian article is wrong I think. 

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Fashanu came out in 1990 which I think was well after he left forest. The guardian article is wrong I think. 

I the story a forest fan told me was....

If you want a loaf of bread where do you go?

If you want a leg of lamb where do you go?

So why do you keep going to them clubs??

Archived