James McClean

Andrew3000

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, YouRams said:

The poppy IS about rememberance and nothing to do with supporting the army.

Maybe address that comment to those who are calling him scum for refusing to support the army. 

The poppy means different things to different people. It isn’t James McClean who has made wearing it a test of patriotism and nationalist loyalty. Some of us are quite capable of remembering the dead without wearing one. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

He’s peacefully protesting his right not to show support for the British Army, who were an invading and occupying force who committed many atrocities in Northern Ireland, including ethnic cleansing and sectarian murder. He has every right to his view and shows integrity by expressing it.

If you want to keep politics out of football, stop forcing players to wear poppies in the first place. The poppy should be about remembrance, but it has been politicised by those with English nationalist agendas like Britain First. It’s people like them who are a greater threat to the legacy of freedom than  someone like James McClean. 

Some fair comments but “ethnic cleansing!!” -steady on a bit it’s not Bosnia!!

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I think we can do better than a 28 year old journeyman loaded with baggage and controversy. I'd like to see us get a younger winger with some room to grow and improve. 

Exactly we can do so much better plus he's less than average  He always looks like a red card waiting to happen Surprised the club even enquired about him in the first place 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

He’s peacefully protesting his right not to show support for the British Army, who were an invading and occupying force who committed many atrocities in Northern Ireland, including ethnic cleansing and sectarian murder. He has every right to his view and shows integrity by expressing it.

If you want to keep politics out of football, stop forcing players to wear poppies in the first place. The poppy should be about remembrance, but it has been politicised by those with English nationalist agendas like Britain First. It’s people like them who are a greater threat to the legacy of freedom than  someone like James McClean. 

atrocities? Perhaps you've forgotten the many atrocities and terrorist acts committed by that lovely organisation so beloved by him. 

5 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Some fair comments but “ethnic cleansing!!” -steady on a bit it’s not Bosnia!!

Thatcher certainly wanted the final solution and it’s still going on today.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jun/16/northernireland.catholicism

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/09/28/news/catholics-ordered-out-of-belfast-shared-housing-in-sectarian-threat-1148290/

22 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Absolutely spot on mate.

He has outlined his reasons, and I can certainly understand his stance.

And I say that as someone who has served in the Armed Forces, as I say around remembrance day it is a persons prerogative if they wish to wear a poppy it should never be compulsory

Seconded. Im also a former awesome bloke :thumbsup:

I want to be stood next to someone who wants to wear it and wants to be by my side.

No problems whatsoever if you choose not to. Much like your religious or football team preference, I am happy to tolerate, if not agree with it. Using it as a platform to run your mouth via "freedom of speech" though is a different matter.

Seeing Pottechino being made to wear a poppy on MOTD is just wrong he's an Argie who will remember the Falklands well, seems a bit like a ritual humiliation to me.

Not sure turning your back on a national anthem is right though. It's basically blaming all of us for whatever his problem is.

Not bad player.

Out

2 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

atrocities? Perhaps you've forgotten the many atrocities and terrorist acts committed by that lovely organisation so beloved by him. 

This probably isn’t the place to discuss it, but the history of British involvement in Ireland is thoroughly shameful. Do some research and open your mind, before you jump to condemn those who were on the receiving end and have a differently view on it from you. 

Well, just like Martin and Russell, he polarises opinion though for different reasons. Not a bad player but the usual response when reacting to a rumoured player is "is he better than we already have?"  I don't think he is. But I wouldn't want him for the divisive nature of his views and the effect it would have. I assume he's been looked at as a replacement for Russell. 

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

This probably isn’t the place to discuss it, but the history of British involvement in Ireland is thoroughly shameful. Do some research and open your mind, before you jump to condemn those who were on the receiving end and have a differently view on it from you. 

So we should diss the Germans still for their atrocities in WW2?  WHatever historial skeletons in the cupboard isnt it time to forgive and forget?

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

WHatever historial skeletons in the cupboard isnt it time to forgive and forget?

Ideally, yes, but as posted above the situation in Ireland is far from resolved. Whilst people still fear for their homes and livelihoods, based on which community they come from, tensions are bound to remain. 

8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Do you mean in the same way as Britain has had issues with Germany, Spain, Italy Japan etc but every time our nation's meet respect is always shown by ALL players! Why is he allowed to be different?

The irony for me, is that most of the kicking off is related to his apparent disrespect of soldiers, including my Grandfathers, that fought the Nazis. These soldiers fought for James McLeans freedom to not wear a poppy, and have an opinion of his own. Those that are publicly attacking him, wishing him a broken leg etc, are acting like fascists. 

6 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I've been on the receiving end.  And you really shouldn't make the assumption that I'm ignorant of history and you are the only one who knows anything.  I've a degree in history and I concentrated on Anglo-Irish social and economic history. 

Archived