Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

Tbh mate it's a "mistake" that thousands of us managed to avoid making. 

In fact it's not in line with anything i would say to anyone in any circumstance. It wouldn't just slip out from many people. 

It's like parents that have shaken their kids to death. Anyone who has been a parent will probably have been in the state of mind where they feel that's exactly what they want to do. When you're so tired that you realise you've never been tired before. When your head hurts and the tiny cry sounds like an air raid siren. "I could kill you!!" Is a thought that comes uninvited. 

What if you did it? You'd instantly regret it. But that surely doesn't mean you should just be slapped on the wrist?

I know the two don't compare. My point is more that imo it doesn't matter when or if he regrets it. Everyone has to suppress stupid flashes of anger or lust or whatever. 

If he can't control himself then he's not the type of person we want to be at games. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, froggg said:

Yeah to Forest, but on a serious note a horrible twisted thing to do to a bereaved family.

Absolutely, of all the things to tweet someone about, that is beyond belief.

I hide behind humour when people stoop so low that I can't comprehend how they can act that way.

53 minutes ago, angieram said:

There are some people who see Twitter as an opportunity to post whatever offensive rhetoric they want. I don't buy the 'said in anger' defence. If you can't control your temper don't post on Twitter. 

More examples like this might make some people think twice before posting abuse.

Well done, DCFC. 

People like that can't even think, let alone twice

However passionate we feel about our club, at the end of the day it's just a game of football, a hobby. For any human being to abuse another in relation to the death of their child for any reason is bad enough, but when it's in relation to something as inconsequential as a football match it is beyond my comprehension. 

Well done to all at DCFC for dealing with this so decisively.

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Absolute scum let's hope the police take it further !

Agreed. Lifetime ban is a minor punishment, there should be more serious consequence of such actions. As a bare minimum, if the Sharps were so inclined, I'd additionally either make him face them or others like them to fully understand the depths of depravity his comments reached.

All too easy for keyboard warriors to think they can hide behind some media device, there needs to be stronger deterrent.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Watch out for him tweeting a picture from a future game.

Actually, how can they stop a mate buying two tickets on general sale?

I guess the risk of being caught and getting a ban themselves? 

Unlikely I know but the club have done everything they can in their power to punish this individual. 

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Watch out for him tweeting a picture from a future game.

Actually, how can they stop a mate buying two tickets on general sale?

I think it's an inconvenience to be banned. Not sure if he would be breaking the law because he hasn't been banned by a court. I'm sure if found in the ground he would be kicked out. 

I doubt he will be too bothered he'll have forgot about it all now because his brain most likely can't cope with much.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Horrific comment, agreed. No justification, agreed. But a lifetime ban? I'm sure in 30 years time, lifetime ban or not, he would have looked back on the tweet and regretted it. I personally would have banned him for 5/10 years, which is enough time to make him realise his mistake, set an example and given him a second chance.

I think you're view is very much in the minority.

I just hope he gets a prison sentence as well.

I only saw the game on TV but wasn't a bottle thrown on to the pitch after one of their goals? Another idiot who should be banned. 

Awful comment to make, as someone who became a father 6 weeks ago it really got to me.

A lifetime ban seems a bit harsh, after goading the Derby fans I was so angry and could have done or said something I regret to Billy Sharp, thankfully I am bought up in a way that as far as I would have gone was to call him a name that rhymes with sock.

Suprised he wasn't spoken to for goading the fans to be fair, it could very easily have turned nasty.

People who use social media to bully or say awful things do deserve harsh punishments though.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Horrific comment, agreed. No justification, agreed. But a lifetime ban? I'm sure in 30 years time, lifetime ban or not, he would have looked back on the tweet and regretted it. I personally would have banned him for 5/10 years, which is enough time to make him realise his mistake, set an example and given him a second chance.

Think you have to look at this as more than a mistake mate. If he'd say gone on twitter and called sharp a t**** after the game, it still ain't nice and why you'd do it I don't understand, but you could argue that's reactionary and just a mistake- perhaps not truely representative of the person. (Tho twitter is full of t****!) 

This was a very personal vile attack on something that no doubt hurts sharp to this day, something that cannot just be reactionary, you've got to be some sort of scum to even have that thought go into your head imo. Such a horrific and personal attack throughly deserves the punishment given.

Just hope the player doesn't see this as being representative of all derby fans, Sharp always strikes me as a decent guy and it's not nive to see anyone undergo such vile abuse. 

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A lifetime ban seems a bit harsh, after goading the Derby fans I was so angry and could have done or said something I regret to Billy Sharp, thankfully I am bought up in a way that as far as I would have gone was to call him a name that rhymes with sock.

Suprised he wasn't spoken to for goading the fans to be fair, it could very easily have turned nasty.

That was silly of Sharp if he did, didn't notice myself, had my head in my hands, as you imply doesn't warrant the twitter comments, but as an aside ALL footballers should at least be booked if deemed inciting opposing fans as a minimum deterrent including Sharp.

Focusing  on that now though, would sound like sour grapes and in no way should detract from dealing with our so called twitter troll supporter.

Archived