Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Also i think the doughty chants, while not personally aimed at the doughty family cannot have been anything other that totally distressing for them as they were in attendance at the match that day.

Agreed - I think that was horrific behaviour by our fans

I personally think our chant celebrating Collymore breaking his leg is a bit poor taste - So anything further than that definitely is - Some basic humanity would be nice - I'm not sure there's ever any defence for chanting about someone's physical or emotional pain

I mean - I think Collymore is an unmitigated pr**k and I hope never to have to be in the same room as him because his personality, opinions and actions I find repugnant - But I don't wish him harm because of that

If you wouldn't yell it at someone in the street you shouldn't sing it in the stands - "Yeh but it's just football bants" isn't a defence

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agreed - I think that was horrific behaviour by our fans

I personally think our chant celebrating Collymore breaking his leg is a bit poor taste - So anything further than that definitely is - Some basic humanity would be nice - I'm not sure there's ever any defence for chanting about someone's physical or emotional pain

I mean - I think Collymore is an unmitigated pr**k and I hope never to have to be in the same room as him because his personality, opinions and actions I find repugnant - But I don't wish him harm because of that

If you wouldn't yell it at someone in the street you shouldn't sing it in the stands - "Yeh but it's just football bants" isn't a defence

Isn't the root cause of the malice towards Collymore his reaction to Dean Yeats having his leg broken? 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Isn't the root cause of the malice towards Collymore his reaction to Dean Yeats having his leg broken? 

Dunno - It would make sense - The man is a universal to**pot so I would imagine him reacting like the p**** he is when something bad happens to someone

However - I would argue that celebrating anyone breaking their leg makes one a t***** - If Collymore did it - Do we REALLY want to be in the same bracket as he is? I don't...

No idea how tight the swear filters are around here so putting some nice stars in :)

6 hours ago, cannable said:

No it wasnt

Ok I stand corrected, but the principle still stands - the comments were intended to be seen and to cause offence. Most normal people, however angry or upset they get about football, do not post such horrendous comments. 

Think there is a distinction to made between hounding billy sharpe directly on his social media with this rubbish and saying it on a site that is nothing to do with the player ( I would never dream of saying something like that in any area of life ),, the truth is many many people use social media without enough thought to the fact that it is open to the masses and it's written down , they treat it like they are in the pub or in a room with mates or a small group of people ,,,,, don't tell me we all ( mostly all) don't know people who make this kind of sick crass remark as a throw away down the pub or on the building site or wherever and don't realise that most people around them just think they are a total t**** , they are a total t**** but they don't get banned for life from football or other stuff and in the main they are usually far from hounding and bullying people on social media on a personal level which to my mind is just the same as doing it in person and deserves severe punishment.

this is not the case in this instance and I think lots of people are missing this important distinction 

Being a football fan, means that you gradually get used to hearing this sort of s*** all the

time, eventually you become hardened to it, and are probably unable to understand the outrage felt

by those who do not attend matches regularly. The decision to ban him for life, is because everyone

has to know this is unacceptable. Its made you lot sit up and take notice - so its worked!

Archived