Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

David

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good.  Well done DCFC.

I'm pretty sure there was a show of support at Pride Park when Billy's son died - minute's applause maybe - can't remember the specific.  Hopefully he remembers that about Derby fans rather than the abuse some idiots gave him on Saturday and (surprise, surprise) on social media.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Derby County can confirm that the club has issued a lifetime ban to the fan who posted abusive social media messages to Sheffield United’s Billy Sharp at the weekend.

Full Statement https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/08/club-issues-lifetime-ban-to-supporter-following-abusive-social-media-posts

Good on em, I just hope they reserve this kind of punishment for cockwombles like this and don't start to go over the top when people are just on a bit of a wind up.

While I agree it was disgusting what was said and that it was definitely uncalled for and doesn't represent all of us, I can't help but feel a lifetime ban is not justifiable for this, people say stupid **** when they're angry. Not trying to defend what he did but just can't see why it deserves a lifetime ban. 

There are some people who see Twitter as an opportunity to post whatever offensive rhetoric they want. I don't buy the 'said in anger' defence. If you can't control your temper don't post on Twitter. 

More examples like this might make some people think twice before posting abuse.

Well done, DCFC. 

28 minutes ago, AlfretonRam84 said:

While I agree it was disgusting what was said and that it was definitely uncalled for and doesn't represent all of us, I can't help but feel a lifetime ban is not justifiable for this, people say stupid **** when they're angry. Not trying to defend what he did but just can't see why it deserves a lifetime ban. 

I couldnt disagree with you more. Lots of us were angry after the performance against sheff. It didnt once occur to me to abuse opposition players. 

12 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Fully deserved, won't find many that disagree.

Interesting the club has never gone down this route before when the idiots on Twitter have started abusing our own players and their wives? Think some would have more than deserved it to be honest. 

Agreed, again. 

Some of the abuse is appalling. 

Horrific comment, agreed. No justification, agreed. But a lifetime ban? I'm sure in 30 years time, lifetime ban or not, he would have looked back on the tweet and regretted it. I personally would have banned him for 5/10 years, which is enough time to make him realise his mistake, set an example and given him a second chance.

Archived