Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abusing people on twitter under any circumstance is infantile and pointless. The best way twitter can combat this sort of thing is to force all members to have their name associated with their profile so they can be dealt with accordingly like the muppet in question here.

I am all for freedom of opinion but if you are being a [insert appropriate swear word here] then you should be called out for it.

21 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

A lifetime ban. Wow. Big, big punishment. Surprised it's been that severe in all honesty. Club clearly keen to make an example of him.

I remember Mel mentioning reading tweets from daft "fans" a while back. He brought up one where someone had tweeted about beheading him, which upset his grandson. Did that individual get a lifetime ban?

Could have been the same person? 

How do they impose a ban so he can't get in the ground? What if a mate gets him a ticket? Or do we have some way of identifying such individuals? Apologies in advance if I'm being thick and in the ice age about this question!

25 minutes ago, Redcar said:

How do they impose a ban so he can't get in the ground? What if a mate gets him a ticket? Or do we have some way of identifying such individuals? Apologies in advance if I'm being thick and in the ice age about this question!

Was also wondering how they'd enforce it.

A lifetime ban is over the top in my opinion.  It possibly dissuades others from posting hateful comments online, but the offender has no possibility of redeeming himself.  That's not only wasteful, that's hateful as well.  What he wrote was stupid and hurtful and it is unacceptable behavior in a civilized society,  He has been named and shamed, i would call that ample punishment for now.

Thought long and hard about posting on this thread ,, I speak as a parent who has lost a child and can tell you there is no way to describe the experience and living with it so what this lad has done is disgusting and beyond decent human behaviour ,in short real scum bag and scum bag behaviour ,,,

that said I'm also someone who has made my share of mistakes and have done things I regret but the man I am now is very different to the idiot I could be when I was a kid ,,, the lad who made those comments on twitter is obviously a t**** , he may remain a t**** for the rest of his life BUT he may not , he may learn from mistakes and often people who make mistakes then learn from them can turn into the most positive and productive members of society .

for me dcfc were right to track him so swiftly and publicly but I feel an indifinate ban would have been better than a life ban and sends a better message

If I was him - I'd get a bike and sign up to a charity ride and donate the lot to the LJS Foundation. It won't get him his ban lifted but would show a level of remorse. Not condoning his actions, but chances proper sauced up at the time and really didn't consider the fallout.

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Your commebt saying a ban over top i dont think so. I would fined him as well.

My comment was to suggest that how can the 2 acts be so different in punishment? I never said the lifetime ban was over the top (but it is), especially compared to the physical attack it is, where our fan received just a 3 year ban.

The club do not hold the ability to fine the individual. If he was a season ticket holder they will have confiscated his ticket and he will not receive a refund so technically will be fined.

For me the most appropriate punishment would have been a 10 year ban but the ban reduced for each £1000 raised to Billy Sharp's charity, but the only money that would count would be from events, that are decided by Billy, where the individual had to go through an embarrassing scenario.

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Sorry raminit comment

We are Rams B4, we don't let another Ram divide us, because we are united and it's all about being Rams, worthy Rams, not like that idiot Ram whats his name, who isn't really a Ram when you Ram your head into it

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Could have been the same person? 

Wouldn't surprise me! If he's a repeat offender then the lifetime ban makes sense. If this is the first time he's tweeted this kind of thing then it is a mega punishment for a first offence, as vile as the tweet was.

37 minutes ago, Redcar said:

If I was him - I'd get a bike and sign up to a charity ride and donate the lot to the LJS Foundation. It won't get him his ban lifted but would show a level of remorse. Not condoning his actions, but chances proper sauced up at the time and really didn't consider the fallout.

If he does just that, I would gladly sponsor him, so that some good can come out of this.

Archived