Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

David

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Where do I blame someone else for what he did? 

Not you personally! And I don't know you or your background but the general state of this country is going downhill in terms of manners and behaviour and repeat crime, and rehab does nothing. Look at the repeat offending.

Those comments may affect Billy Sharp for the rest of his days. The moron should feel the pain as well. Being banned is hardly a punishment anyway, he'll go elsewhere, watch it on TV and get to be the big man with his  mates.

I do not dispute your motives are honourable but misplaced.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Haha, nice alluding..... telling me there's blokes who go to games now who never threw a punch in the name of Derby County? 

Not missing the point at all. Just think people should get the chance to redeem themselves. He said a disgusting thing I have no doubt. But to ban for life..... 

I have no doubt that some of the idiots in the 70s especially threw a punch or two, supposedly in the name of their teams. Back then it seemed to be normal for ALL team fans to have a rumble now and then. I used to watch the idiots at the base ball ground running through the foot-wells in front of me trying to get at the opposite fans, clearly not interested in the game at all as they could not see the game from down there.

However, they were throwing punches at people who wanted to throw punches back.

I don't see that picking on someone who has lost a family member in such tragic circumstances, then has the Gaul to score a couple of goals against Derby, deserved this and think of his wife etc. Did she score against us? Does she deserve what he gave? NO.

Life time ban is the very least he deserved in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not you personally! And I don't know you or your background but the general state of this country is going downhill in terms of manners and behaviour and repeat crime, and rehab does nothing. Look at the repeat offending.

In this case it's communication innit

The internet and ever quicker access to communication tools where you don't actually interact with a person - It's easy to insult someone on here but a lot more difficult to do the same thing to someone's face - But equally if you've grown up without that kind of filter needed then you may also struggle to control it in real life too

12 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

And a kick in the nuts - A swift, sharp and hard kick in the nuts

32 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I have no doubt that some of the idiots in the 70s especially threw a punch or two, supposedly in the name of their teams. Back then it seemed to be normal for ALL team fans to have a rumble now and then. I used to watch the idiots at the base ball ground running through the foot-wells in front of me trying to get at the opposite fans, clearly not interested in the game at all as they could not see the game from down there.

However, they were throwing punches at people who wanted to throw punches back.

I don't see that picking on someone who has lost a family member in such tragic circumstances, then has the Gaul to score a couple of goals against Derby, deserved this and think of his wife etc. Did she score against us? Does she deserve what he gave? NO.

Totally disagree he deserves a lifetime ban. Sex offenders don't even have to be on a list for so long.

Not disputing he did something despicable, and he deserves some sort of punishment. But a life time ban for something that's been said? 

I don't think I'm misguided at all..... just think it's been a massive overreaction to a terrible comment. Think 3 seasons, an apology and maybe some sort of charity work and education of Billy Sharps choosing may have settled this. Then who knows, the lad may turn out to be alright..... instead of being punished for life and maybe going down a different path. 

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Totally disagree he deserves a lifetime ban. Sex offenders don't even have to be on a list for so long.

Not disputing he did something despicable, and he deserves some sort of punishment. But a life time ban for something that's been said? 

I don't think I'm misguided at all..... just think it's been a massive overreaction to a terrible comment. Think 3 seasons, an apology and maybe some sort of charity work and education of Billy Sharps choosing may have settled this. Then who knows, the lad may turn out to be alright..... instead of being punished for life and maybe going down a different path. 

Being on the sex offenders register is a little more life changing than being unable to go to Derby games.

Can still watch on TV, listen to it. Whatever. He's not got a lifetime in prison. It's just attending Derby games. Can even go and watch other football. 

Derby see no reason why they'd want someone who would mock a child's death, no matter how out of his mind with anger he might have been, as a fan and I agree with them. Totally deserved.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Being on the sex offenders register is a little more life changing than being unable to go to Derby games.

Can still watch on TV, listen to it. Whatever. He's not got a lifetime in prison. It's just attending Derby games. Can even go and watch other football. 

Derby see no reason why they'd want someone who would mock a child's death, no matter how out of his mind with anger he might have been, as a fan and I agree with them. Totally deserved.

Think the punishment is way too harsh but get the other points totally which are fair.

For the benefit of doubt, I'm not defending what he has done. He has done wrong. Just believe the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

For the benefit of doubt, I'm not defending what he has done. He has done wrong. Just believe the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as this is a forum you are also entitled to post them on here, but I feel you are in the minority on this one.

Funny you are so het up about punishment fitting the crime!!!

Is it something to do with the name Mafia??????? :lol:

I'm with @Mafiabob on this one. Seems to have been used as a bit of an example, and if it works in cutting down some of the awful abuse that goes on on social media, it may well be worth it - but I highly doubt it, not every abusive moron out there is silly enough to have their full name in their Twitter handle.

Even 'the almighty' can forgive* - get him to apologise in person, ban him for five years, do it again and be banned for life. 

*For the record, I'm atheist.

11 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as this is a forum you are also entitled to post them on here, but I feel you are in the minority on this one.

Funny you are so het up about punishment fitting the crime!!!

Is it something to do with the name Mafia??????? :lol:

Haha, careful they'll be a stallions head when you wake up next.....

Seriously though, think it's too much for me, also think if he was a lot older the punishment would be less too. 

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm with @Mafiabob on this one. Seems to have been used as a bit of an example, and if it works in cutting down some of the awful abuse that goes on on social media, it may well be worth it - but I highly doubt it, not every abusive moron out there is silly enough to have their full name in their Twitter handle.

Even 'the almighty' can forgive* - get him to apologise in person, ban him for five years, do it again and be banned for life. 

me too

difficult to defend and kudos to those with the guts to say it.  Apparently some on here live in glass houses and have never thrown a stone. For the record though there is no excuse for what has been said but he should be given the opportunity to properly apologise

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

A 21 year-old getting a lifetime ban for something that was directly at Billy Sharp, he admitted to, showed remorse for and apologised for. 

16 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Which only goes to prove that he IS a moron

A lifetime ban. Wow. Big, big punishment. Surprised it's been that severe in all honesty. Club clearly keen to make an example of him.

I remember Mel mentioning reading tweets from daft "fans" a while back. He brought up one where someone had tweeted about beheading him, which upset his grandson. Did that individual get a lifetime ban?

I'm late to the party as usual but I believe DCFC have done the right thing by acting decisively and giving the culprit a "lifetime" ban. However, a lifetime ban is just a misnomer, as bans can be lifted. I think DCFC have announced it as a lifetime ban because they haven't decided (or don't know) how long to ban the lad for, so I don't think a lifetime ban is harsh.

If the guy can truly show his remorse by doing lots of good deeds for people similar to those he abused (ie. parents who've lost children, not footballers per se), then DCFC might lift his ban with the proviso that he doesn't abuse anyone (especially via social media) again.

Archived