v Kaiserslautern Match Thread

Day

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Woah woah woah! Huddlestone is bloody awesome but let's not get hasty, there will be a way to get them together. One can play butterfields role

Both are too slow for the type of surging attacking midfielders GR plays in front of his defensive midfielder.  In a 433 Huddlestone and Thorne compete for one position, the defensive sitting midfielder

1 minute ago, feisty said:

Both are too slow for the type of surging attacking midfielders GR plays in front of his defensive midfielder.  In a 433 Huddlestone and Thorne compete for one position, the defensive sitting midfielder

Thorne fully fit ain't slow, Johnson would play the attacking mid role imo

Opening Lyrics

Tom Hudds will stick a pony in ya pocket
He'll fetch the suitcase for the Rams
Cause if you want the best 'uns
And you don't ask questions
Then brother Gary Rowett is your man

Where it all comes from
Is a mystery
It's like the changing of the seasons
And the tides of D.C.F.C
But heres the one thats driving me berserk
Why do only Keogh and Davis work
La la lala - la la la la la (etc)

Closing Lyrics

We've got some half priced deal, Will Hughes cracked ice
And miles and miles of IPro carpet tiles
Rams TV's, deep freeze and Scot Carson's bucked teeth
Pool games, gold chains, wosnames
And at a push
Some Umbro Classic track-suites
From a Cockney Ram in Shepherds Bush, Bush, Bush, 
Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush

No Tom Ince, no Bent VAT
No money back, no guarantee
Black or white, rich or broke
We'll cut prices at a stroke

God bless Rowett Street
Viva Rowett Street
Long live Rowett Street
C'est magnifique Rowett Street
Magnifique Rowett Street

The movement of the team, with and without the ball, was very intriguing certainly first half. With the ball Huddlestone effectively dropping in to make himself a third cb giving him time to make the passes, the 2 full backs pushing on to become wingers almost, giving Russell and Weimann the chance to drift inside. Johnson and Butterfield being free to drift where they please, to get the ball and affect the game.

Without the ball Butterfield and Johnson pushed up and helped Martin to close down up front, whilst Russell and Weimann dropped in and helped Huddlestone.

Certainly was a promising showing. 

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

The movement of the team, with and without the ball, was very intriguing certainly first half. With the ball Huddlestone effectively dropping in to make himself a third cb giving him time to make the passes, the 2 full backs pushing on to become wingers almost, giving Russell and Weimann the chance to drift inside. Johnson and Butterfield being free to drift where they please, to get the ball and affect the game.

Without the ball Butterfield and Johnson pushed up and helped Martin to close down up front, whilst Russell and Weimann dropped in and helped Huddlestone.

Certainly was a promising showing. 

Johnson today was very Bryson esque in his closing down and work rate. He gave a away a lot of fouls just because of how aggressive he is, but he was all over the pitch getting stuck in. And I can't remember a game for us in which Butterfield made as many challenges as he did today. Whatever Rowett is doing in training with those two, it's certainly paying off.

29 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Must be awful for the highest thing on your agenda is to show you're still a hard man, hope they get the s hit kicked out of them. Sorry.

Absolutely disgusting to go out there (for a friendly no less) and cause trouble in this day and age. What's the point?

Go out there, soak up the sausage and the good beer, don't be a tit 

43 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Johnson today was very Bryson esque in his closing down and work rate. He gave a away a lot of fouls just because of how aggressive he is, but he was all over the pitch getting stuck in. And I can't remember a game for us in which Butterfield made as many challenges as he did today. Whatever Rowett is doing in training with those two, it's certainly paying off.

Crazy eh? It's as though GR knows what he's doing with these 's**t' players. 

8 hours ago, jono said:

Highlights don't show the whole picture but Hudds looked powerful and controlled. A huge addition for us. I can actually see us owning the midfield rather than praying we can race the ball through it like a slalom course on a wing and a prayer. 

going to be interesting change of style and emphasis. 

The way we move the ball is a notable difference.

passes from deep and long balls instead of trying to run it forward

Great away day, Kaiserslautern had a whole day of activities planned for the fans - kids skill tests on the training pitch, bouncy castles everywhere, copious amounts of sausages. 

Big and noisy travelling contingent with beer and sunshine deluding many that the shirt off look works.

On the pitch, big Tom the highlight, still looks like the giant child in an Under 10s game.

Off the pitch - adapting the Abdul Camara song to Nugent was the win, clearly amusing the subs (Nugent's Vauxhall Zafira was in Preston).

Hard working, determined team, with the back 6 and Martin in place for Sunderland. Weimann the pick of the rest but still plenty to sort out.

The Summer's been too long...roll on this season

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Huddlestone holding with Thorne further forward would be a dream midfield.

I can see that in a McClaren Derby side with Thorne in Hughes role. I just don't think that is GR intention. But I may well be wrong. 

Clearly they both play in a 4231 

GR has already signalled his intention to play teams/formations to suit the opposition. I think we'll see a number of different formations and this could include both Huddlestone and Thorne playing as defensive midfielders on occasions (if both are fit).

29 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

GR has already signalled his intention to play teams/formations to suit the opposition. I think we'll see a number of different formations and this could include both Huddlestone and Thorne playing as defensive midfielders on occasions (if both are fit).

Was just about to post the same on the Tom Huddleston thread. Yesterday was one plan going 4-3-3 without Thorne, with him I'd imagine a 4-2-3-1 easily feasible, either Nugent or Vydra playing off Martin.

All that's missing is more pace down the wings, my heart says give Bennett a chance, my head says there a few Prem loans that will do better.

Either way I'm starting to believe Rowett has got a team coming together that can play multiple formations with players that can fill several roles. Exactly what he said he wanted.

Archived