v Kaiserslautern Match Thread

Day

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I liked Kaiserslautern's netting, could we steal the idea and replace with a ram 

Yeah, I noticed that and was going to mention it, a ? in the middle and Rams head in the corners to give our penalty takers something to aim at. ;)

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought out pen takers were all trained to aim at the keeper?

I was thinking of Martin's over the bar effort at Donnie when I posted that to be honest. Still think a ? in the middle would look quite good though. 

Really happy with today, everyone put in a shift. 8/10 all round

Huddlestone and Butterfield were excellent, as was the defence

Johnson and Martin solid with another goal each. No doubt in my mind when Chrissy was one on one on his right foot that he was going to score

Wisdom looking more and more comfortable back in the team and in the end put in a great performance. Worried me early on in possession but then he goes and beasts his way through 3 players and comes out with the ball. Baird is a more calming figure to have in that position for me but no doubt Wisdom is first choice and will be huge for us this season. 

Weimann was really impressive, great energy and pace, knows how to get on the end of a Huddz pass, linked up with Martin nicely, 2 assists and a disallowed goal, excited for him this season hopefully can keep up his end product

A few goal mouth scrambles at our end that probably would've ended in a goal last season but we defended them a lot better with Wisdom coming out on top a couple of times. Looks like we've been working on that, along with corners which were also well defended

3 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Poor side. As others have said, real lack of quality out wide and in that system Bryson has to play as he is he only midfield player willing to run beyond the striker. I'd understand more if Nugent was starting, however with Martin, Bryson is a must.

Reminds me too much of the team under Clement and Wassall which was far too predictable and became so boring to watch. 

You'd get on well with @valleyram

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You'd get on well with @valleyram

Bryson will play at Sunderland mb but good too see butterfield play well today , competition is healthy for the club and hopefully for my bank account come the end of the season , don't tell the bookies but I think we are way overpriced this season 

40 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Happy with that performance. Looked pretty solid at the back and created plenty going forward and it's another game in the tank. Just hope they all came through it injury free.

Well said. Thought Huddles was the star man....think it did show we still need someone to replace Ince......

Well that was pretty much what I was expecting a Rowett side to look like.

We were very well organised, and worked very hard - everyone was putting a shift in, and no-one was shirking or hiding. i would put Weimann top of the class, as he did some excellent work, tracked back, tackled and harried, and looked up for it going forwards.

We had to weather a bit of a storm, but it was rather like a weather forecast promising thunderstorms, but it only raining a bit harder than drizzle. So Carson had little to do. Kaiserslauten had a reputation for putting loads of goals away this pre-season, so either the opposition was poor, or our defense did well. And given the lack of panicking at the back, even during the goalmouth scrambles, I think we are looking good at the back.

We won't need to rush Georgie Boy back with our Tom pinging the ball around, and he has already found out how to bring Weimann into play. He will no doubt do the same with runs by such as Russell, Nugent, Vydra, Anya and co, so things are looking good in that department.

Russell, and to some degree Martin were pretty quiet early on, but as the match went on, Russell started to a  show his vision and eye for a through pass, even if he did miss a sitter. And that header deserved a goal! Martin played well once he started to get the ball, and was wrestled about rather a lot, with little protection from the ref, who didn't seem to like the idea of Derby putting any effective challenges in. However, our Chrissie did "buy"  a couple of free-kicks for only about 2p each, including the one that led to our second goal! So no change there, then!

Keogh was as he should be, benefitting from the better organisation, and no doubt by Huddlestone's presence. Pearce looked just the same as last year, and I  noticed that we didn't involve him much in playing the ball out of defence, because he thinks slower than a slow thing before playing the pass which was obvious as soon as he received the ball. However, he did some very neat ball play in defence on  several occasions, and seems to react quicker when he doesn't have time to think about it!

Overall I am happy, because of the much more solid, almost agricultural look to our play, along with the greater organisation. However, I do miss the flair and class of previous styles of play, but at the same time I don't miss the nail-biting "are we about to chuck it all away again" agony which we used to go through most matches. So today I knew that we were going to hold out for the full 90.

We are not there yet, but there are some good signs, and today was a good work out. COYR!

Bringing hudds back could have been a masterstroke. He's very much a confidence player, and as far as it seems, he's very happy to be back where he started, with a team mate he knows well and a team around him that will play to his strengths, it's no surprise to see his quality already showing. 

Giving bradders the freedom to attack could prove a very smart move too. This new look team is looking like a solid unit and for that you have to give GR credit. One solid winger addition and you can only feel this season will be a success 

Archived