v Kaiserslautern Match Thread

Day

I thought we played very well in the first half with wieman and Russell working well with Martin but ultimately all three looking for the quarterback pass from Huddlestone which was good, second half patchy but it is a friendly 

two nice goals and should have had at least one more.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Just posted about the midfield 3 before seeing this, but yeah I think it is. Huddlestone did his job perfectly, Johnson was putting in tackles all over the pitch (gave away about 10 free kicks, but oh well :lol:) and Butterfield was always looking to get the attacks started and won a surprising number of tackles as well.

Cheers, they all looked good from what I saw and Bradders took his goal beautifully, lovely technique. Hate to say it because I genuinely love the guy but I think we need an upgrade on Johnny Russell. It might spur him on to find his level again.

2 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Poor side. As others have said, real lack of quality out wide and in that system Bryson has to play as he is he only midfield player willing to run beyond the striker. I'd understand more if Nugent was starting, however with Martin, Bryson is a must.

Reminds me too much of the team under Clement and Wassall which was far too predictable and became so boring to watch. 

Poor side? Lol. Bet you're fun at the party. 

Butterfield, for the first time in a long time, looks like the player we thought we had signed. Looks fitter, and I'm sure having Huddlestone with him in midfield will help.

Weimann must be near Bryson on the treadmill tests. I think he's going to play a lot of games this season.

Special mention to Forsyth and we're already seeing the advantages of a taller team at setplays, at both ends.

I was impressed, not forgetting the obligatory "it's only pre-season". Played very well for me. Defensively unruffled apart from 3 scrambles in the box, but even there we remained composed and in command of what we were doing. Set pieces were handled well, which has been a problem for a while. Martin, Huddlestone and two big full backs in the back 4 help with that.

Going forward very fluent in spells. Huddlestone is every bit as good as I remember, Chris Martin with a couple of classic wardrobe moments.

Could have had 6, Weimann looked onside for me, but the four between THud and Chris could use an addition or two. Judging by the rumours going around GR agrees. 

July optimism, you've got to love it.

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Can't fault anyone, I'm sure they'll be one or two along soon to nitpick.

Its preseason..... games under the belt. 

A couple have already dropped by to make their usual negative comments. No surprise there.

Just now, Kinder said:

Cheers, they all looked good from what I saw and Bradders took his goal beautifully, lovely technique. Hate to say it because I genuinely love the guy but I think we need an upgrade on Johnny Russell. It might spur him on to find his level again.

I hope we keep Russell just because I think he'd be a fantastic player to bring off the bench, but I really hope we bring in an extra winger this window. Weimann has been fantastic throughout pre-season and Bennett and Anya have looked good, but none of them are likely to hit the number of goals Ince did and I just think we need someone else who can bag 10-20 goals to help the likes of Martin, Nugent and Vydra.

Can't pick and choose which games to say it's only pre season to, for that reason I will not be commenting on individual performances as it's only pre season.

Huddlestone can ping one though can't he.

Fell asleep and missed most of the first half.

huddlestone looked very good. Gives us shape and calmness. Defence looks solid.

just need to add blackman to complete the jigsaw.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Game served it's purpose and will help confidence levels as well. One takeaway is that we really need a right winger. The position on the left is Wieman's to lose based on pre season so far.

Starting to look a good move not selling, think we all forget we signed some good players (albeit some over the odds) and given game time still could prove to be good signings.

Johnson in his correct position will be one to watch this season also.

15 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

They're been scoring 6, 7, 8 goals in previous pre-season matches so you might be understating how good we were defensively.

Yup. And that's all I got out of it for us - that we are good defensively.

Really good test today game and yes there is some of things need a bit improvement other than that nothing needed to say. ? onto next one. ?

Good performance, and if this was the first game looking towards the season, then I think it showed us looking like we're getting there. Still a long way to go, still plenty to work on.

Also, I like how our 4-3-3 looked so much more solid and less McClaren. You don't have to be 4-4-2 to bee well organised defensively.

I was particularly impressed by the way we tackled.

The team looked pretty fit and sharp. Only concerns were in midfield when not in possession. Having two players in front of a static (but classy) Huddlestone leaves us a bit exposed but that's easily fixed if Weimann and whoever else plays wide drop inside to support.

Good performance.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Can't pick and choose which games to say it's only pre season to, for that reason I will not be commenting on individual performances as it's only pre season.

Huddlestone can ping one though can't he.

Yep, we don't know if Kaiserslauten had an intensive training session before the game, or how recently - and against whom - their previous friendly was played.

Clearly a first choice XI is starting to emerge, and that's exciting. But as for getting excited or disappointed by performances when there are so many variables at hand is a little premature.

Archived