v Kaiserslautern Match Thread

Day

15 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Did Keogh have a mistake in him?

Yes overplayed once  trying to shepherd a ball cost us a corner when he should have pumped it into row z for a throw.Apart from that he was very solid which is high praise coming from me.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hermanshire said:

And Wolves lost 2-0 against Shrewsbury. How much do you suck when you lose against them :lol:

Boro lost to Rochdale and some their fans moaning about Britt Assombalonga. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Well that was pretty much what I was expecting a Rowett side to look like.

We were very well organised, and worked very hard - everyone was putting a shift in, and no-one was shirking or hiding. i would put Weimann top of the class, as he did some excellent work, tracked back, tackled and harried, and looked up for it going forwards.

We had to weather a bit of a storm, but it was rather like a weather forecast promising thunderstorms, but it only raining a bit harder than drizzle. So Carson had little to do. Kaiserslauten had a reputation for putting loads of goals away this pre-season, so either the opposition was poor, or our defense did well. And given the lack of panicking at the back, even during the goalmouth scrambles, I think we are looking good at the back.

We won't need to rush Georgie Boy back with our Tom pinging the ball around, and he has already found out how to bring Weimann into play. He will no doubt do the same with runs by such as Russell, Nugent, Vydra, Anya and co, so things are looking good in that department.

Russell, and to some degree Martin were pretty quiet early on, but as the match went on, Russell started to a  show his vision and eye for a through pass, even if he did miss a sitter. And that header deserved a goal! Martin played well once he started to get the ball, and was wrestled about rather a lot, with little protection from the ref, who didn't seem to like the idea of Derby putting any effective challenges in. However, our Chrissie did "buy"  a couple of free-kicks for only about 2p each, including the one that led to our second goal! So no change there, then!

Keogh was as he should be, benefitting from the better organisation, and no doubt by Huddlestone's presence. Pearce looked just the same as last year, and I  noticed that we didn't involve him much in playing the ball out of defence, because he thinks slower than a slow thing before playing the pass which was obvious as soon as he received the ball. However, he did some very neat ball play in defence on  several occasions, and seems to react quicker when he doesn't have time to think about it!

Overall I am happy, because of the much more solid, almost agricultural look to our play, along with the greater organisation. However, I do miss the flair and class of previous styles of play, but at the same time I don't miss the nail-biting "are we about to chuck it all away again" agony which we used to go through most matches. So today I knew that we were going to hold out for the full 90.

We are not there yet, but there are some good signs, and today was a good work out. COYR!

Didn't see any of the game but reading everyone's comments I reckon that is a top drawer sum up ... TA ! 

In the absence of Goerge we have been lacking a General in the middle for a long time. Welcome back Tom. I sounds like we have a fulcrum for the team to work round 

11 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

Dare I ask those who watched how Russell played? 

Busy as usual, missed a sitter, but, as I reported, played some very intelligent passes, including right across the pitch from one wing to the other to switch play down the other wing quickly - how may times this is called for but everybody plays safe passes via three other players in midfield, and the momentum is lost. He should have scored with a brilliant header, and didn't go running off down any blind alleys, or miss-control the ball while dribbling with it, which were two of his biggest weaknesses last season. If he can make runs onto Hudder's through balls (or Thorne's), it could be a good year for him.

Its all in his hands (or at his feet)!

Forsyth back will make such a difference to Martin's effectiveness..reads his passing really well...thought we were fine today, at the back thought Wisdom and Forsyth were very good, Weimann very good and Martin looked like he has been working hard. Hudds just class ..

Will be interesting to see how we go next week against a better team but great steps in what are basically fitness tests and formation trials..

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Did he get through the 90?

Or is he now out until October :lol:

He was on the bench in the first half. 

52 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

Dare I ask those who watched how Russell played? 

Thought he was okay, didn't see as much of the ball as Weimann but with more luck both of them could have scored. Actually they're very similar, lots of effort and not always the end product you hope for.

Highlights don't show the whole picture but Hudds looked powerful and controlled. A huge addition for us. I can actually see us owning the midfield rather than praying we can race the ball through it like a slalom course on a wing and a prayer. 

going to be interesting change of style and emphasis. 

Archived