Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

I can't imagine we'd sell Hughes for under £10m. I think the bar was set with Hendrick, who isn't a better player in my opinion. 

Yes, Hughes seems to have stagnated the last year, but as with a number of our players last season I do think the changing of managers/systems affected their ability to perform. That's why Ince was POTY. He performed the most consistently despite the upheaval. Although in fairness, he wasn't in and out of the side every week like Will or others or asked to play out of position. 

So no, £4m I could only see as a starting point, ala Jeff's move last summer. 

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if GR and Derby fancy cashing in on him. As good as he can be, as beautiful as he can be to watch, perhaps he's not suited to the style of football that GR wants to implement. Bit like the Martin/NP nonsense last summer. Great idea that turned out to be. 

I don't want Hughes to go. But I'd not be shocked if he does. But for circa £10m. 

Oh, and I thought the People newspaper ended years ago. At least I've learnt something.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF Will is to go we should stick a buy back clause in the contract. If he makes the step up and we follow in a season or two get him back. Luxury player in this league but a type of player you'd need in the Prem would suit both parties as he gets to step up but also come home.

26 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Do you actually ever go to matches McLaren stopped picking him and Rowett did the same Or are you just one of those who think the team revolves around WH  He's good but definitely noi indispensable no player ever is players come and go 

As did Pearson.

Think we all rate Will higher than he actually is.

31 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Do you actually ever go to matches McLaren stopped picking him and Rowett did the same Or are you just one of those who think the team revolves around WH  He's good but definitely noi indispensable no player ever is players come and go 

Okay, mate 

In our current financial position, every player will have a price. If we get the right price for Hughes or Ince, I'm sure they will be gone.

But £4 million is derisory and not even worth entertaining. Perhaps other clubs look at our spending, the dangers of FFP and wonder if the well is running dry or there will be desperation to sell to balance the books. That is the only reason why I could envisage clubs testing the waters in such a way. Either that or this is a non-story and the figure was plucked out of thin air.

After the past two seasons, I don't think Will will be in any hurry to leave. Lately, he has barely played any football due to injuries and indifferent form, so I think in his mind he knows he has a point to prove. It's not as if it's 2014 and he's coming off the best season in his career. He will want to leave on a positive note, not just upping sticks having not really kicked a ball in anger for two years.

Moving to Brighton or Watford - two clubs who are likely to battle relegation next season and two clubs who aren't established in the division and could quite easily find themselves in the Championship again soon enough - won't give him the progression he needs. If only clubs of that standing are showing an interest, he'd be better off staying at Derby and getting us over the line.

Unless a club such as Southampton, Everton or West Ham show interest, he should bide his time. This is the kind of stepping stone he needs.

The thing that worries me is that he was a long time signing new contract.If he'd let the old contract run out he could have left for free,which put him in a good bargaining position. I just hope he didn't have a £4m buy out clause inserted in new contract -after all,from our point of view £4m would be better than nothing.Just saying.

The thing that worries me is that GR has never really shown any great enthusiasm for Will.

reminds me of Pearson and chris martin.

hopefully i've got that all wrong.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The thing that worries me is that GR has never really shown any great enthusiasm for Will.

Maybe GR was resigned to losing him this year.It could be that Will was going to give it one more season for us to get up (last season),before (possibly) activating a (possible) clause.Something wasn't right with Will last year and nobody could really put their finger on the reason.Perhaps he was frustrated with yet another (relatively) moderate season.

I think that there's a great deal that goes on that we know nothing about.The players have all the power,and that can get quite sickening for fans at times.

26 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Maybe GR was resigned to losing him this year.It could be that Will was going to give it one more season for us to get up (last season),before (possibly) activating a (possible) clause.Something wasn't right with Will last year and nobody could really put their finger on the reason.Perhaps he was frustrated with yet another (relatively) moderate season.

I think that there's a great deal that goes on that we know nothing about.The players have all the power,and that can get quite sickening for fans at times.

You may be right there Ramb, but i think its more to do with the style of play rather than Will's mindset.

If you want to play long ball then Will Hughes is completely excess to requirements. He'd never be signed by Pulis, Allardyce or the like.

He'd improve a team like Arsenal imo.

It would fit our style as under/non-achievers if we eventually let our most talented academy prospect go for pittance after years of promise slowly fading into frustration and stagnation.

Feel for Will. He needs to kick on if we all want to see him in a senior England squad - we're dragging him down. 

It does not really surprise me he can go, only that we are saying he can go for £4 million is the surprise?

GR has already said all players are on the table if an offer come in, so I reckon Will could be that start of the exodus .

Rowett, "But if someone else comes in and offers a deal then we're open-minded, as we are with all our players''

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

I think you're spot on. Hughes is not a GR player. GR explained he judges midfielders on goals and assists and Will hasn't been high on those metrics.

I think this type of approach a bit superficial as Will knits play together even if he isn't playing the final assist. But if we are playing fast balls from the back into channels for midfeld runners, that's not Wills game (but is Bryson and Johnson's who he clearly likes)

Archived