Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

The price is an absolute farce but a couple of things spring to mind.

Think back 3 or so years when figures of £15m and transfers to Barcelona, Liverpool and Man U were being bandied about. Maybe the scouts just don't believe he can realise his potential if we are now talking about the likes of Watford and Brighton.

I'm truly surprised (and glad) he is still with us. That's either down to the above or Will's loyalty.

He is my favourite current player but for the sake of his career, can understand why he would want to try his chance in the Premier. I'd rather we loaned him out though to see if he can cut it. If he can't, give him back.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, admira said:

The price is an absolute farce but a couple of things spring to mind.

Think back 3 or so years when figures of £15m and transfers to Barcelona, Liverpool and Man U were being bandied about. Maybe the scouts just don't believe he can realise his potential if we are now talking about the likes of Watford and Brighton.

I'm truly surprised (and glad) he is still with us. That's either down to the above or Will's loyalty.

He is my favourite current player but for the sake of his career, can understand why he would want to try his chance in the Premier. I'd rather we loaned him out though to see if he can cut it. If he can't, give him back.

This has never crossed my mind before, but that is not a bad idea at all!

If Gaz doesn't fancy him in this division then a loan fee of £4m with the option of an extra £10m for a permanent deal would make complete sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

This has never crossed my mind before, but that is not a bad idea at all!

If Gaz doesn't fancy him in this division then a loan fee of £4m with the option of an extra £10m for a permanent deal would make complete sense to me.

Actually a one season loan to Brighton would be very decent, good experience, price increase to other clubs thereafter or we go up and he is ready to go with us ( a nice loan fee of £2-3 million) I am sure this could suit a lot of parties 

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Actually a one season loan to Brighton would be very decent, good experience, price increase to other clubs thereafter or we go up and he is ready to go with us ( a nice loan fee of £2-3 million) I am sure this could suit a lot of parties 

Why would a team pay £3 million loan deal when they can actually buy him outright for £4 million?

This £4 million figure cannot be correct?

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

This is the figure the DET is banding around.

They're getting rumours from elsewhere - They're hardly a reliable source these days - Plus I don't actually see that anywhere on the DET site - I think £4m was a Twitter rumour

If Hughes had a release clause at £4mil he'd be gone pretty soon. I think there would also be a few more than 2 PL clubs in for him. That's around 25% of a club's TV revenue for a single game, it's a bargain.

I want Will to stay, but if we could improve the team with the money we got for him, I think I'd have to accept that. And I'm talking an eight-figure sum. Anything less and I'd be surprised and disappointed.

Hughes is a brilliant player but unfortunately he's only brilliant when we are collectively as a team. He seems to lack the match-winning ability of grabbing a goal out of nowhere. In games where we're off form, despite his efforts, he's largely ineffective. If he goes then technically we'll be worse off, no doubt about it. However I would trust GR to find someone who can produce a more consistent overall influence if we get £10m+ for him.

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

They both also possess the ability to control the game, which Hughes hasn't developed yet. 

Hughes doesn't control games because it's never been his role to, except under Clough when he was arguably at his best.

Under McClaren he was asked to knit our right-hand side together and in the scrappy games he would naturally come out of it playing football and turn the tide in our favour. 

57 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If Hughes had a release clause at £4mil he'd be gone pretty soon. I think there would also be a few more than 2 PL clubs in for him. That's around 25% of a club's TV revenue for a single game, it's a bargain.

I want Will to stay, but if we could improve the team with the money we got for him, I think I'd have to accept that. And I'm talking an eight-figure sum. Anything less and I'd be surprised and disappointed.

Hughes is a brilliant player but unfortunately he's only brilliant when we are collectively as a team. He seems to lack the match-winning ability of grabbing a goal out of nowhere. In games where we're off form, despite his efforts, he's largely ineffective. If he goes then technically we'll be worse off, no doubt about it. However I would trust GR to find someone who can produce a more consistent overall influence if we get £10m+ for him.

I disagree with most of this (not the goal grabbing which is obviously something he needs to improve on). Apart from a few games under Rowett, he's been consistently excellent regardless of whether the team around him has been good or bad, and it's been mostly bad. Hes been playing with vision-less mostly static players. Just having Thorne next to him will boost his effectiveness immensely. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I disagree with most of this (not the goal grabbing which is obviously something he needs to improve on). Apart from a few games under Rowett, he's been consistently excellent regardless of whether the team around him has been good or bad, and it's been mostly bad. Hes been playing with vision-less mostly static players. Just having Thorne next to him will boost his effectiveness immensely. 

He's played well yes, but that itself has not exactly taken us to another level as a team. When the team clicks he's a joy to watch. When we're poor, you can see what he's trying to do but it's very hard to make a significant difference when you're trying to create something out of nothing, not getting an awful lot of help from those around you.

If we sold Hughes, his replacement would be a worse footballer, but I don't think that necessarily means we would become weaker as a team.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He's played well yes, but that itself has not exactly taken us to another level as a team. When the team clicks he's a joy to watch. When we're poor, you can see what he's trying to do but it's very hard to make a significant difference when you're trying to create something out of nothing, not getting an awful lot of help from those around you.

If we sold Hughes, his replacement would be a worse footballer, but I don't think that necessarily means we would become weaker as a team.

I know what you are saying, but it's also fair to say that generally the more good footballers you have in a team, the more likely you team will be a good one!. It's not like Will lacks commitment or is unwilling to tackle opponents. As long suffering Derby fans, we surely deserve to see Thorne and Hughes play alongside each other for a while. It's long overdue.  Unless the money offered is of ridiculous proportions we should keep Hughes, if he is content to stay. 

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I know what you are saying, but it's also fair to say that generally the more good footballers you have in a team, the more likely you team will be a good one!. It's not like Will lacks commitment or is unwilling to tackle opponents. As long suffering Derby fans, we surely deserve to see Thorne and Hughes play alongside each other for a while. It's long overdue.  Unless the money offered is of ridiculous proportions we should keep Hughes, if he is content to stay. 

I understand that. Hughes will look better if he plays alongside better players. But as it stands, he doesn't have the ability to change games in an instant like somebody such as Ince does, which could be the difference between going up or not.

Players such as Cairney, Mooy and Hourihane are not necessarily better than Hughes, but they had to ability to win games almost on their own for Fulham, Huddersfield and Barnsley. All cost those much less than I would be willing to sell Hughes for too.

To be clear, I don't want Hughes to be sold. But if we get a good deal, then there is an opportunity for us to progress as a side instead of going backwards as some would expect.

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I understand that. Hughes will look better if he plays alongside better players. But as it stands, he doesn't have the ability to change games in an instant like somebody such as Ince does, which could be the difference between going up or not.

Players such as Cairney, Mooy and Hourihane are not necessarily better than Hughes, but they had to ability to win games almost on their own for Fulham, Huddersfield and Barnsley. All cost those much less than I would be willing to sell Hughes for too.

To be clear, I don't want Hughes to be sold. But if we get a good deal, then there is an opportunity for us to progress as a side instead of going backwards as some would expect.

All quite reasonable, I just think we have a better chance of progressing as a side and challenging for promotion with Hughes, than without. Can't see his replacement being any better. I do think we need another 'game-changer' higher up the pitch though, to take some of the pressure off Ince. 

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why does it bother you the ammount we spent on them players ? What effect has it had on you as a fan in anyway shape or form ? It would be no difference to you if we'd got them all for free ? 

It just does bother me.

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Why would a team pay £3 million loan deal when they can actually buy him outright for £4 million?

This £4 million figure cannot be correct?

Because that may be the deal we would be willing to do.

10 hours ago, rynny said:

Even if Will had let his contract run down, we would have still been due money with him being under 24. Burnley got £8m when Ings signed for Liverpool when he was out of contract.

Yes,you're right rynny and I was wrong. However,I don't think you could use Ings as any kind of yardstick,as strikers in general are seen to be worth more,and in the case of Ings, he'd proven himself to be a Prem striker over a whole season with Burnley ,which would have been a major factor in the compensation.The compo for Ings was only £6.5m up front,the rest being based on something like appearances and I'm not sure this was paid.Wasn't he injured for Liverpool early on? I must confess I've lost track of him since.

11 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Yes,you're right rynny and I was wrong. However,I don't think you could use Ings as any kind of yardstick,as strikers in general are seen to be worth more,and in the case of Ings, he'd proven himself to be a Prem striker over a whole season with Burnley ,which would have been a major factor in the compensation.The compo for Ings was only £6.5m up front,the rest being based on something like appearances and I'm not sure this was paid.Wasn't he injured for Liverpool early on? I must confess I've lost track of him since.

I was just using him as an example.

Archived