Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If a player doesn't request a transfer, the selling club is legally obliged to pay up the remainder of his current contract before he leaves.

Obviously this rarely happens, especially when the player in question is moving up in the game, but its not unusual for a lesser amount to be settled on.

This is why players seldom ask for a transfer, and clubs will do anything to get them to express interest in a move.

I guess the cost is reflected in the transfer fee.

No player can be forced to transfer to another club. He can only be sold if he agrees to the contract terms being offered by the new club.

By agreeing to transfer to a new club, an outgoing player is also agreeing to the termination of his existing contract, thus no compensation has to be paid.

A quick google search threw up this :-

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-a-football-players-contract-when-he-is-transferred

"In case of a permanent sale, the contract with the owner is purchased by the new team that 
intends to purchase the player. Depending on the amount of time remaining on the current contract, 
a price is decided. The player is then registered as a player for the new team with its football 
association and approvals from the continental governing bodies.

So in short, the transfer fee you read about is the price the new team pays for purchasing 
and nullifying the existing contract so that they can agree to their own contract with the player."

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

£4m initial loan fee? Pre-cursor to £12m if they stay up...

Even if he has had a poor season by his own standards, he has a long contract, we don't need to sell, he is well renowned as a major potential talent and at 22 still has plenty of time to blossom into the England player I'm sure most of us think he can and should be.  I would have thought we'd be in a pretty strong position fee wise.  Can't imagine GR is desperate to get rid even if he isn't his type of player (whatever that might mean... what manager doesn't want good footballers?).  

For those saying he needs replacing with somebody who can get double figures from midfield... well, unless there is a hidden gem out there that nobody knows about (Nigel, any tips?) then how much is that going to cost? Considerably more than the £4m... so I'd rather stick with what we have ta very much.

I also reckon that if £4m did get you Will, then a proper big club might have a punt anyway because it would be a very small outlay and risk for them, with a lot of potential rewards.

Of course, the story is nonsense anyway (hopefully).

Nail on head. Why would we sell at 4m when we don t need to ? Why would Will go to an also ran club with little status and long term promise ? If Will goes it will be after he has had a great season and then to a middle / ranked club with ambition and a bit of status. Would he really want to go to a newly promoted team far from his mates for another 10k a week when he is only 22 ?

56 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

No player can be forced to transfer to another club. He can only be sold if he agrees to the contract terms being offered by the new club.

By agreeing to transfer to a new club, an outgoing player is also agreeing to the termination of his existing contract, thus no compensation has to be paid.

A quick google search threw up this :-

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-a-football-players-contract-when-he-is-transferred

"In case of a permanent sale, the contract with the owner is purchased by the new team that 
intends to purchase the player. Depending on the amount of time remaining on the current contract, 
a price is decided. The player is then registered as a player for the new team with its football 
association and approvals from the continental governing bodies.

So in short, the transfer fee you read about is the price the new team pays for purchasing 
and nullifying the existing contract so that they can agree to their own contract with the player."

Which is pretty much what I put, just worded differently.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Which is pretty much what I put, just worded differently.

No it isn't. You said :-

"If a player doesn't request a transfer, the selling club is legally obliged to pay up the remainder of his current contract before he leaves."

The selling club does NOT have to pay up the remainder of his contract. By agreeing to the transfer to a new club, the player is agreeing to the cancellation of his existing contract, without compensation.

I actually wouldn't mind it so much if we sold him. He's a fantastic talent and deserves to be playing in the Premier League, not alongside cloggers like BJ and Alex Pearce who proceed to make him look ****.

I'd be looking at a Hendric type fee for him though. £4m is way too low unless it was an initial fee, with pretty assured add-ons totalling it up to around the £12m mark.

I also wouldn't be against a lower fee but loan-back option either if someone like Spurs or Everton came in for him.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Not surprised at the Brighton link ( I suggested that they would have a go at taking him a few times) 

now £4 million if true will probably be a first salvo but what is his true value? Well I think we will actually know that by the end of next season, last season was a difficult one for him with so many managers mucking about with the team and coming back from a serious injury was going to be difficult- if the bid was £14 million we could not stand in his way but when you compare him to the money we paid on butterfield Johnson Vydra anya Blackman etc then under £8 million should be classed as plain rude

well burnley did similar with hendrick came in with a low ball offer, eventually rising to a sensible offer..

Will Hughes would be a fool not to want to go but we would be foolish to let him go, at least for anything less than 10m +, with sell ons. 

If GR were smart he'd hold off and build a better team around him, players better than the ones he's been playing with. He's a joy to watch and makes the purchase of a season to ticket worth the money. 

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Will Hughes would be a fool not to want to go but we would be foolish to let him go, at least for anything less than 10m +, with sell ons. 

If GR were smart he'd hold off and build a better team around him, players better than the ones he's been playing with. He's a joy to watch and makes the purchase of a season to ticket worth the money. 

I agree. When we had Hughes, Thorne, Martin, Buxton and Dawkins all in the same team thet ball just flowed through the thirds of the pitch in beautiful sync.

Crazy to think what has happened to this team since.

33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I agree. When we had Hughes, Thorne, Martin, Buxton and Dawkins all in the same team thet ball just flowed through the thirds of the pitch in beautiful sync.

Crazy to think what has happened to this team since.

Really miss that team. Players on the fringe like Dawkins are way better than most options we have now. If I was offered Dawkins or Camara, I know which I'd pick.

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think hes a fantastic footballer. But he's not hit the heights and he's not contributing in terms of the things that matter, goals and assists. 

He's scored 9 goals in 164 games. Which is poor for a centre half. So for a midfielder its borderline pathetic. 

If we went and spent £12 million on a midfielder with that goalscoring record. My head would go. 

He's a love footballer to watch. But that's it. 

Unfortunately we won't get anywhere near 12 million for him. He's not worth it.

Nooooo! He's struggled with injuries and recently form, but he's the real thing. Even I can see that from watching him play right in front of me. He's a class above. Potentially a few classes above. Going on potential, he's worth more than Ince or anyone else in our squad. £12m... Maybe more. He should be going to Everton or similar.

If he goes to Watford or Brighton I'll eat my teeth. If he goes anywhere for £4m I'll eat your teeth.

2 hours ago, mice_elf said:

No it isn't. You said :-

"If a player doesn't request a transfer, the selling club is legally obliged to pay up the remainder of his current contract before he leaves."

The selling club does NOT have to pay up the remainder of his contract. By agreeing to the transfer to a new club, the player is agreeing to the cancellation of his existing contract, without compensation.

But the player only agrees to go once a transfer fee has been agreed, which normally includes the compensation necessary for his existing contract, as your original post included.

This can be done in lots of ways, but the fact remains a player is entitled to his contract paid in full for early termination.

The fact it doesn't often happen like that for various reasons doesn't make it any less of a fact, and it's a bit pedantic and boring to argue otherwise. 

Do you actually ever go to matches McLaren stopped picking him and Rowett did the same Or are you just one of those who think the team revolves around WH  He's good but definitely noi indispensable no player ever is players come and go 

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Eighteen months ago he was five months into a nine month injury?

McClaren didn't stop picking him.

Archived