Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Rowett has also alluded to the fact we may need players to leave before we buy, so rumours of Keogh and Hughes leaving aren't too far fetched.

Weimann coming back has probably hampered things considerably. 

Well sell Weimann then. Can't believe we're really considering selling Hughes! Unlike Hendrick we haven't yet seen how Hughes is going to turn out as a mature footballer.

9 hours ago, ramblur said:

The thing that worries me is that he was a long time signing new contract.If he'd let the old contract run out he could have left for free,which put him in a good bargaining position. I just hope he didn't have a £4m buy out clause inserted in new contract -after all,from our point of view £4m would be better than nothing.Just saying.

Even if Will had let his contract run down, we would have still been due money with him being under 24. Burnley got £8m when Ings signed for Liverpool when he was out of contract.

Xabi Alonso scored 35 in 547 games.

Iniesta has scored 34 in 412 games.

Based on that Munich/Barca should've moved them on too? Not comparing our Will to the likes of Alonso and Iniesta but there's much much more to a midfielder than goals. As someone alluded to he "knits" the play, gets the ball moving to the players making the assists. I could watch players like them all day. We shouldn't sell based on him having few goals and assists that mind-set is utter madness.

19 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Xabi Alonso scored 35 in 547 games.

Iniesta has scored 34 in 412 games.

Based on that Munich/Barca should've moved them on too? Not comparing our Will to the likes of Alonso and Iniesta but there's much much more to a midfielder than goals. As someone alluded to he "knits" the play, gets the ball moving to the players making the assists. I could watch players like them all day. We shouldn't sell based on him having few goals and assists that mind-set is utter madness.

Well you're right that midfielders shouldn't be based on goals alone, Alonso is a holding midfielder so that's a none starter. They both also possess the ability to control the game, which Hughes hasn't developed yet. 

In regards to Iniesta, Iniesta was a proper workaholic in the Barca midfield and covered so much ground. He didn't need to contribute to the goals, all he had to do was to do the dirty work for the Barca front 3( whether Henry-Messi-Etoo, Pedro-Messi-Villa, Giuly-Etoo-Ronaldinho) and allow them to shine. In his prime, Iniesta covered so much ground, like Kante but with the technical ability so wasn't required to score but when he was required to score, he came up with very important goals, non more so than the World Cup final winning goal.

The difference is that we need goals from midfield which means that Hughes has to contribute so much more because we aren't going to score anywhere near enough otherwise. 

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

At least someone appreciates our Will! Captained the under 21s again yesterday in a pre-tournament friendly.

He's got to be the most senior/experienced player in the U21s now. Everyone else has moved on to the first team. Must be frustrating for him. 

39 minutes ago, cosmic said:

He's got to be the most senior/experienced player in the U21s now. Everyone else has moved on to the first team. Must be frustrating for him. 

What? You're suggesting that all the 'older' U21s are now playing in the England first team, but not Will? Lol.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? You're suggesting that all the 'older' U21s are now playing in the England first team, but not Will? Lol.

No, I'm saying he's played in the U21s for years alongside the likes of Harry Kane and John Stones (for example) and watched them make the step up to Senior international, and seen other teammates become first team Prem players, while he's still 'developing' and playing in the Championship. And that must frustrate him. He must be one of the most capped U21s in that squad by now? (Someone can find that out for me if they like). 

22 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

If you look entirely at goals and assist for a midfielder, you'll never find their true value.

Key passes, chances created, aerial duels won, distance covered, pass completion, dribbles per game, tackles per game.

These are all crucial stats for a midfielder and Hughes is very good at a lot of them. You're also reducing it down entirely to stats. Stats are important and can be telling, but there's a reason scouts exist and you don't sign a player entirely off of numbers without watching him play. Anyone who sees Hughes play knows that he's a top player.

Really object to you thinking we should get someone in with a couple more goals and assists to replace Hughes. 

We have four players who are more than capable of scoring 20 goals a season in our team in Ince, Martin, Nugent and Vydra. We've got plenty of goalscorers, we just need to find a cohesive system to play them in. Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson and Thorne aren't adverse to the odd goal either. We need to prove as an attacking side but just adding a player for his goals/assist stats is crazy.

Assists are the stupidest stat on the planet too. You can play an absolute worldly of a through ball, take 8 opposition players out of the game in doing so but if the striker misses it or passes it to another play to slot it into an open goal, the player who made the chance gets no recognition. How many Barca players have had an assist where they've just passed the ball to Messi on the halfway line and he's ran through the entire team and scored?

It's a garbage stat and one we should be moving away from in the football community.

But if you watched Hughes as a scout over the past two seasons - do you think there is much there to justify a significant price tag? I'm not sure there is. I think as fans we are blinded by the following:

- Opportunity of potential development

- He's through our academy and you feel more attached to him

- Living in the hope of Thorne and Bryson being back to their old selves and dreaming of the three of them in the middle of the pitch.

I don't think Hughes will cut in the Premier League. A top club will never take him and a bottom club will never have the possession and control his game so much craves for. His next move is huge for him to stop him turning into a Giles Barnes.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well sell Weimann then. Can't believe we're really considering selling Hughes! Unlike Hendrick we haven't yet seen how Hughes is going to turn out as a mature footballer.

I wouldn't consider selling Hughes, only a nutter (Pearson) would consider Hughes not suitable or good enough for Derby.

My concern is that Gary Rowett kinda shares the same thoughts as Pearson....I hold much hope that isn't the case.

I can live with Keogh going, I can't really handle selling Hughes, unless we get the kind of fee that allows us to heavily strengthen a few positions. 

So he needs to move on to progress

hes not good enough for top half of prem

he can't play for a bottom half prem team as they don't control the game enough

there may be a clause in his contract to sell for £4 mil

somethings not been quite right so he signed a new long term contract

i could go on but really can't even get over the above ridiculous load of tripe!!

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

No, I'm saying he's played in the U21s for years alongside the likes of Harry Kane and John Stones (for example) and watched them make the step up to Senior international, and seen other teammates become first team Prem players, while he's still 'developing' and playing in the Championship. And that must frustrate him. He must be one of the most capped U21s in that squad by now? (Someone can find that out for me if they like). 

He's 'missed' nearly two seasons, one thru injury the last thru being asked to play as many different roles as usually taken on by the Reduced Shakespeare Company!

He's oh so ancient at 22 years and two months, I bet he thinks his career is nearly over! He's a tremendous talent and we'd be utterly crazy to sell him cheaply or at all - we are aiming for the Prem aren't we?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's 'missed' nearly two seasons, one thru injury the last thru being asked to play as many different roles as usually taken on by the Reduced Shakespeare Company!

He's oh so ancient at 22 years and two months, I bet he thinks his career is nearly over! He's a tremendous talent and we'd be utterly crazy to sell him cheaply or at all - we are aiming for the Prem aren't we?

Haha, bloody hell, where did I say I wanted us to sell him? I was just commenting on his development and aspirations as a player. Chill out, you won't find a fight here. 

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Haha, bloody hell, where did I say I wanted us to sell him? I was just commenting on his development and aspirations as a player. Chill out, you won't find a fight here. 

This is in the transfer section afterall. :) But as for his development, well if he captains the U21s in the Euro tournie and plays as well as he did against Denmark (was it?) then his development is coming on just fine after the past two seasons. Point out some other 22 year old mids we can compare him with and I'll reconsider. :)

Archived