Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

24 minutes ago, SlamBamRam said:

A good significant post. Basically, if WH leaves for that price we would be paying off most of his contract with the transfer fee and making up the difference from within the club.

That would mean the only achievement is one less on the wage bill!

That's not an achievement. We could have nobody on the payroll if we paid everyone off. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the full article.

A BATTLE OF WILLS

Will Hughes is at the centre of a tug-of-war between Watford and newly-promoted Brighton.  The England Under-21 international, currently due to leave with England's Under-21 squad to compete in the European Championship next week, is the subject of a £4million battle between them.

Hughes, 22, has played for Derby since graduating from the Rams' academy but new boss Gary Rowett has made him available.

Arsenal have long been linked with the midfielder but the Rams have not received a bid from the Emirates - although two Premier League clubs are keen to take him on.

Rowett has recruited Curtis Davies from Hull and Hughes will not be the only surprise summer departure from Derby.

3 minutes ago, silhillian said:

Here's the full article.

A BATTLE OF WILLS

Will Hughes is at the centre of a tug-of-war between Watford and newly-promoted Brighton.  The England Under-21 international, currently due to leave with England's Under-21 squad to compete in the European Championship next week, is the subject of a £4million battle between them.

Hughes, 22, has played for Derby since graduating from the Rams' academy but new boss Gary Rowett has made him available.

Arsenal have long been linked with the midfielder but the Rams have not received a bid from the Emirates - although two Premier League clubs are keen to take him on.

Rowett has recruited Curtis Davies from Hull and Hughes will not be the only surprise summer departure from Derby.

The only surprise Rams exit this summer will be "Rammie" himself. ?

16 minutes ago, silhillian said:

Hughes, 22, has played for Derby since graduating from the Rams' academy but new boss Gary Rowett has made him available...

I wonder in what way has GR made Will available?

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

If he's not in Rowett' s plans, get rid.

Of Gary, not Will.

Reminds me of when we used to chant....

"Rather Daly than the Doc"

36 minutes ago, silhillian said:

Here's the full article.

A BATTLE OF WILLS

The chance conversation I had with an ex player last season said Arsenal were looking at Will, i got shot down for not naming the person or team on here. Strange it's come up in this. 

If GR does bin Hughes he will be showing naivety and committing managerial suicide.

besides it being simply wrong, half the crowd will feel justified in turning on him if things don't go absolutely perfectly.

£4m initial loan fee? Pre-cursor to £12m if they stay up...

Even if he has had a poor season by his own standards, he has a long contract, we don't need to sell, he is well renowned as a major potential talent and at 22 still has plenty of time to blossom into the England player I'm sure most of us think he can and should be.  I would have thought we'd be in a pretty strong position fee wise.  Can't imagine GR is desperate to get rid even if he isn't his type of player (whatever that might mean... what manager doesn't want good footballers?).  

For those saying he needs replacing with somebody who can get double figures from midfield... well, unless there is a hidden gem out there that nobody knows about (Nigel, any tips?) then how much is that going to cost? Considerably more than the £4m... so I'd rather stick with what we have ta very much.

I also reckon that if £4m did get you Will, then a proper big club might have a punt anyway because it would be a very small outlay and risk for them, with a lot of potential rewards.

Of course, the story is nonsense anyway (hopefully).

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If GR does bin Hughes he will be showing naivety and committing managerial suicide.

besides it being simply wrong, half the crowd will feel justified in turning on him if things don't go absolutely perfectly.

To be honest, and I know I can be typically volatile and fickle football fan, if we sell Will Hughes for £4m I'll be turning on him first and asking questions later. Could be a watershed moment for me.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Until GR publicly admits young Will has been made available for transfer I think a lorry load of salt is required for this statement. Particularly when this has been stated in the press. 

That being said all players have their saleable value and £4m ain't nowhere near Will's. 

1 hour ago, SlamBamRam said:

A good significant post. Basically, if WH leaves for that price we would be paying off most of his contract with the transfer fee and making up the difference from within the club.

That would mean the only achievement is one less on the wage bill!

Why would we have to pay off the rest of his contract?

9 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Can't imagine GR is desperate to get rid even if he isn't his type of player (whatever that might mean... what manager doesn't want good footballers?). 

Pearson. He wasn't keen on Will either!

Can't believe GR would tell Will he's not wanted, that's just mad.

1 hour ago, TommyPowel said:

how many 23 year old English players have had 7 years first team experience.Yes he is an excellewell worth 10million plusnt footballer(best home grown player we have produced with the exception of Giles Barnes ive seen in my 64 years as a ram fan)

Didn't you see Tom Huddleston then??

31 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Why would we have to pay off the rest of his contract?

If a player doesn't request a transfer, the selling club is legally obliged to pay up the remainder of his current contract before he leaves.

Obviously this rarely happens, especially when the player in question is moving up in the game, but its not unusual for a lesser amount to be settled on.

This is why players seldom ask for a transfer, and clubs will do anything to get them to express interest in a move.

I guess the cost is reflected in the transfer fee.

2 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Must admit Moxey is usually correct about us but £4million is low Having said that Will hasn't really played well for 18months just the odd flash That's why McLaren and Rowett stopped picking him He probably needs a change of clubs 

Eighteen months ago he was five months into a nine month injury?

McClaren didn't stop picking him.

Archived