Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

If Jordan Pickford is worth £30m, Ben Gibson £20m and Tom Cairney £20m then Hughesy is definitely worth that. 

That's fair comment

8 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

The key word is currently. A player is only worth what he is in any exact moment. Three years ago Hughes was quite away ahead of Hendrick but by last summer it was the other way round. Technically yes Hughes might be better, but we all know that technically is only part of it.

I've been really impressed at Hendrick, he's made the step up to international and Premiership level very well. In that respect he's moved quite away ahead of Hughes in terms of their careers.

If Hughes has an amazing season either here or elsewhere, his value will rise. If he moves to the Premier League and kicks on, and his international career improves then he will be worth loads.

But right now Hendrick is a Premier League player and regular full international, Hughes is a mid-table Championship player. 

Therefore regardless of the relative talents of the two three seasons ago, which is when they last played in the same team, Hendrick's market value is higher.   

Hendrick is a full international with the Republic of Ireland, Hughes hardly has that option. It's a lot harder to get into the England team obviously. It's a bit unfair to use that as criterion to claim Hendrick is the more valuable player.

Currently Hughes' value should be high based on his obvious talent, it would be very short-sighted of Derby to undervalue him based on a below-par spell (by his own admission) last season. He is a young player, form often comes and goes at that age. 

Incidentally, it's irrelevant whether Hughes is worth more than Hendrick now, all that matters for Derby fans is whether Hughes should be worth more than Hendrick when he left Derby, that is, when he was still a championship player.

PistoldPete2

Christie has played for Ireland but he isn't worth £10 million.

Seeing england  last night they do seem short of midfielders so will shouldn't have long to wait if he regains his form. 

13 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

If Jordan Pickford is worth £30m, Ben Gibson £20m and Tom Cairney £20m then Hughesy is definitely worth that. 

He's definitely worth at least the same as Cairney - same position, same league, but I'd say proven over a longer period. Some clubs always manage to get top dollar though, like Brentford.

5 minutes ago, BuxtonRam74 said:

He's definitely worth at least the same as Cairney - same position, same league, but I'd say proven over a longer period. Some clubs always manage to get top dollar though, like Brentford.

Statistics talk and players with more attractive stats usually go for more money.

Cairney got 12 goals this season. Will Hughes has 9 in his entire career. Hughes may or may not be better than Cairney overall, but currently Cairney's value is much higher than Will's.

His value has gone down yes, but 4m is ridiculous. Value is not just about what you've done in the game, age and potential come into it. We (over)paid 4m for Butterfield, but he's a player who doesn't have much potential beyond the championship, Will is worth at least double, even now.

But...he needs a good season or his value could further plummet as rather than being a potential English xavi or iniesta, he could become the next Josh McEcheran.

The one thing in Wills favour over Jeff (value wise) is that Hughes is English and home grown. Due to increasing restrictions in the Prem, English players go at a premium. Will should be commanding more than loan fees and £4mill bids...that we don't know have even happened yet...

I think we forget how low Burnley started (think it was only 4 mill) and look how that turned out, low bids provide clubs a way to seriously ask the question of how much for player 'x'. 

So I'd say this is just an indication of interest really

8 minutes ago, r4derby said:

The one thing in Wills favour over Jeff (value wise) is that Hughes is English and home grown. Due to increasing restrictions in the Prem, English players go at a premium. Will should be commanding more than loan fees and £4mill bids...that we don't know have even happened yet...

Hendrick is classed as home grown as well. It isn't down to nationality for home grown it is the amount of years they spent in an academy in England. For instance I believe Cesc Fabregas is classed as a home grown player.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Hendrick is classed as home grown as well. It isn't down to nationality for home grown it is the amount of years they spent in an academy in England. For instance I believe Cesc Fabregas is classed as a home grown player.

Apologies, yes that's true. But the English bit remains, young English talent goes at a premium. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/14/european-21-championship-20-young-stars-summer-can-shine-poland/will-hughes-england/

Thought I'd add this into the conversation. Quite shocked to see his name whilst reading the article with the big names mentioned, but it also suggests that there is a strong possibility that he will leave, with Newcastle the supposed destination. This is something that is more believable, with it being the telegraph, who have really strong links with Derby (With John Percy basically announcing every deal 1st) . Would be disappointed if it happens but I'd rather him move on and become the player he was supposed to be rather than halting his potential by staying here.

Archived