Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

You may be right there Ramb, but i think its more to do with the style of play rather than Will's mindset.

If you want to play long ball then Will Hughes is completely excess to requirements. He'd never be signed by Pulis, Allardyce or the like.

He'd improve a team like Arsenal imo.

Probably agree with you,Utch. I was just giving a possibility, not necessarily what I thought.

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Sodd of way to low if not 20m they can get lost we dont need to sell will huges.

Agreed. Hughes is worth £20m in this market and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave at that price either this summer or next. 

I'd rather he stayed though as, like Ince, he's capable of having an immense career changing season in 17/18 and I hope we're the ones that benefit.

3 hours ago, rynny said:

I was just using him as an example.

I know,but I didn't want members to think we'd get anything like that for Hughes.On the subject of compo,something interesting happened in the 14/15 accounts re the acquisition of players. The cost is shown split between Registration fees and "Transfer fee levies& associated costs", and the latter usually comes in a range broadly 12%-25% of the former (if contract extensions are involved,any agents' fees,with no reg fee payable,tend to skew it towards the higher figure). In 14/15 regs came in at £4.449m,whilst  the other costs were £3.683m,a rather high %age of the regs.

I remember this baffled me at the time,but it now occurs to me that compo may appear in the second figure,rather than the first. If I've got the right year,was this when we signed Calero and a few others? Unfortunately,the investments don't appear to have been too good.

On a separate theme,the "Maximum liability under sell on clauses" shot up to a massive £12.528m in 15/16,up from £4.6m the previous year (Note 20,for anyone with the accounts). I've just a sneaking feeling that these potential liabilities might not crystalise.

The biggest issue around our Will is that we the supporters rate him far higher than most other clubs do so in terms of selling for a high price at some point he needs to put in a stonking good season ( and see what he could do for us in premiership) 

Not sure how people can think Hughes is worth more than Hendrick currently.

We sold Hendrick off the back of a strong Euros and as an established full international.

Hughes hasn't pulled up many trees this season and of course he missed the previous season. His stock is low - much like Andre Wisdom, who when playing well would be worth a lot more than the reported £2 million.

He could still be great, but unless Rowett thinks he is absolutely critical to what we need, I'd look at moving him for the right price on as he's a wasted talent on the bench and the income generated by his sale might make a big difference.

He's entering a critical time of his career, for his sake a move and change of scenery might be a good thing otherwise he's in danger of stagnating.

If he stays - and I'd like him to - he needs to up his game a gear or two and show us what all that potential is about because he was not better than any of our other midfielders last season.

If we sell, £4 million is low, I think around £8 million would be good business, with add ons.

6 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

We sold Hendrick off the back of a strong Euros and as an established full international.

Hughes hasn't pulled up many trees this season and of course he missed the previous season. His stock is low - much like Andre Wisdom, who when playing well would be worth a lot more than the reported £2 million.

He could still be great, but unless Rowett thinks he is absolutely critical to what we need, I'd look at moving him for the right price on as he's a wasted talent on the bench and the income generated by his sale might make a big difference.

He's entering a critical time of his career, for his sake a move and change of scenery might be a good thing otherwise he's in danger of stagnating.

If he stays - and I'd like him to - he needs to up his game a gear or two and show us what all that potential is about because he was not better than any of our other midfielders last season.

If we sell, £4 million is low, I think around £8 million would be good business, with add ons.

I have to agree with you, but at that selling price the add ons would need to be large in my mind but we all still want to see him play for us in the premiership 

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Because Hughes was a more talented player than Hendrick when they were both here and he still a more talented footballer than Jeff now. You are right, we got good money for Hendrick off the back of a strong Euro campaign on his part, but it seems logical to me that Derby fans would want more money for Hughes considering the relative talents of the two players.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm confused. His stocks low so we should sell but at the right price!! Very illogical that for a Vulcan.

24 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'm confused. His stocks low so we should sell but at the right price!! Very illogical that for a Vulcan.

Ha. What I meant is that compared to recent seasons his stock is low but that doesn't mean we should sell him on the cheap. You've got people on here saying he's worth £20 million.  He might be after a stellar season - before his injury he was probably worth as much if not more than he is now - but he's had two seasons where he has either not featured at all because of injury or hasn't really stood out. That affects his market value.

And I only mean we should sell if GR doesn't want to use him and use him well, because he is one of few in the squad with really good value. I'd rather he stayed, played brilliantly and got us promoted. But if he's not going to play, he could raise funds to the betterment of the team.

59 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Because Hughes was a more talented player than Hendrick when they were both here and he still a more talented footballer than Jeff now. You are right, we got good money for Hendrick off the back of a strong Euro campaign on his part, but it seems logical to me that Derby fans would want more money for Hughes considering the relative talents of the two players.

The key word is currently. A player is only worth what he is in any exact moment. Three years ago Hughes was quite away ahead of Hendrick but by last summer it was the other way round. Technically yes Hughes might be better, but we all know that technically is only part of it.

I've been really impressed at Hendrick, he's made the step up to international and Premiership level very well. In that respect he's moved quite away ahead of Hughes in terms of their careers.

If Hughes has an amazing season either here or elsewhere, his value will rise. If he moves to the Premier League and kicks on, and his international career improves then he will be worth loads.

But right now Hendrick is a Premier League player and regular full international, Hughes is a mid-table Championship player. 

Therefore regardless of the relative talents of the two three seasons ago, which is when they last played in the same team, Hendrick's market value is higher.   

Hughes has come of the back of an average season after returning from an injury that kept him out of the side for almost a full season.

His current transfer value currently is probably the lowest its been since he first came into the side as a result.

Selling him now whilst under a long contract would be stupid unless Rowett really doesn't fancy him or he is very keen to leave himself (but he just signed a new contract!).

Its the usual speculation, and a player we shouldn't even be answering the phone about in my view.

Its amazing how much a player loses value to most Derby fans when they're wearing a Derby shirt. If he played for another Championship team we'd all be desperate to sign him. He's an England U21 and he's played nearly 200 games for us already and some would sell him for the same amount we paid for 30 year old Bradley Johnson.

There seems to be a school of thought that Rowett doesnt fancy Will Hughes the reasoning being he didnty feature much before the end of the season.

Looking at it in a possative manner surely a new manager needs to run the rule over as many players as possible with just 9 matches left?

The one player one the books that any manager would know it would be Will Hughes so therefore no need to access him.

I think/hope Rowett builds his team around Will he does sell him for big money i truerly hope we get promotion

Archived