Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a Sunday paper column filler with little thought into what they are writing.

Maybe they didn't get the memo that he's recently signed a new contract, that's the only defence I can give them on this pile of ?

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think there's a lot in what you say here. We love Will because he is so calm on the ball. However, anyone watching him last season would consider him bang average. The injury weakened him and he looked more and more frustrated. He is not linked to big teams any more. We may have to settle for less than before. But £8 million minimum.

I think hes a fantastic footballer. But he's not hit the heights and he's not contributing in terms of the things that matter, goals and assists. 

He's scored 9 goals in 164 games. Which is poor for a centre half. So for a midfielder its borderline pathetic. 

If we went and spent £12 million on a midfielder with that goalscoring record. My head would go. 

He's a love footballer to watch. But that's it. 

Unfortunately we won't get anywhere near 12 million for him. He's not worth it.

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think hes a fantastic footballer. But he's not hit the heights and he's not contributing in terms of the things that matter, goals and assists. 

He's scored 9 goals in 164 games. Which is poor for a centre half. So for a midfielder its borderline pathetic. 

If we went and spent £12 million on a midfielder with that goalscoring record. My head would go. 

He's a love footballer to watch. But that's it. 

Unfortunately we won't get anywhere near 12 million for him. He's not worth it.

Not always about goals though, it's about how he influences the team. Remember, he's only 21 I think. A lot of those games were played as a teenager, and there aren't many goal scoring midfielders at that age. 

We have, generally, played better when Will is in the side for the last 4 years, because of his fluidity and link up play. 

Whenever anyone mentions his goal tally, I think of David Silva. I think he has around 30 goals in his entire City career, yet he's still arguably their greatest player of all time. 

He's by no means the complete package, but when he's on form, and remember you're also paying for potential, he is worth more than 12m. Hendrick was hardly a prolific goal scorer! 

I think at times we have inflated our value of Will because he is so young and has so much promise.

He still is young and still has promise. That said, the 20 million figures that get dreamed of seem unlikely.

my guess, if he does go is circa 10 million. But I think we have him for at least another season. Capital isn't a problem for Mel but I reckon reducing the wage bill / player count is ....There are other wage savings and player reductions to be worked on before we  cash in on one of our own for a bottom of the market fee. 

40 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Wouldn't be against selling Will, but not for 4m. 8m+ probably. We need a midfielder who is going to get double figures in goals. 

Perhaps 6-7 million plus one of their decent players they need to move on as well?

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, silhillian said:

According to Neil Moxey in the People. Battle between Brighton and Watford for £4 million!!!! Hughes will not be the only surprise departure!

What is the people? Is that a newspaper? Anyway, sounds like rot. 

Regardless of what we think an acceptable fee is is irrelevant really. If Rowett doesn't see Will in his plans and decides the best thing all around is for him to move on then I'm sure the club will get a fee that they seem to be fair. 

There's no doubting Will has excellent technical ability and in a 3 man midfield he will excel but in a 2 he always seems to look slightly lost , if that's down to who he's been partnered in there with or his own ability I don't know. 

Anyone thinking of selling our Will is mad and doesn't know football. It's a crying shame that the team is behind him and he's far better than anyone - but his loyalty is hindering good progress. I still think a trio of Hendrick, Thorne and Hughes could finish top ten in the prem. We've just had potatoes damaged that wonderful team that we had.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Hughes for the price of Anya.

i'd love to hear someone try to justify that.

Hughes for half the price of Vydra is what's more worrying to me. 

I really think with Hughes it's so much about goals and assists. He assists the asissists, if you will, a lot by finding players that others would not. 

37 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Mel Morris wouldn't sanction the sale of Will Hughes for 4 million quid in a million years. 

Hendrick went for £10 million but we sold him at the right time. His value wouldn't have been that high again. 

Hughes on the other hand. I think on the whole time he has been at Derby his value is the lowest it could possibly be. 

The past 2 seasons, 1 he was injured and last season he was in and out of the side and never reached the levels he should be reaching with his ability. 

If Derby get linked with a midfielder. I look at his stats. How many goals he scored? How many assists as he got? 

As an outsider looking in you'd look at Hughes stats and think £4 million is steep! 

Yes Hughes is an excellent footballer. Arguably one of the best we've produced. But he's not a young lad anymore. Hes been here 7 years. Played over 160 games.

I'd sell Hughes and sign a midfielder who would chip in with 5-10 goals a season. Because that could be the difference. 

If you look entirely at goals and assist for a midfielder, you'll never find their true value.

Key passes, chances created, aerial duels won, distance covered, pass completion, dribbles per game, tackles per game.

These are all crucial stats for a midfielder and Hughes is very good at a lot of them. You're also reducing it down entirely to stats. Stats are important and can be telling, but there's a reason scouts exist and you don't sign a player entirely off of numbers without watching him play. Anyone who sees Hughes play knows that he's a top player.

Really object to you thinking we should get someone in with a couple more goals and assists to replace Hughes. 

We have four players who are more than capable of scoring 20 goals a season in our team in Ince, Martin, Nugent and Vydra. We've got plenty of goalscorers, we just need to find a cohesive system to play them in. Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson and Thorne aren't adverse to the odd goal either. We need to prove as an attacking side but just adding a player for his goals/assist stats is crazy.

Assists are the stupidest stat on the planet too. You can play an absolute worldly of a through ball, take 8 opposition players out of the game in doing so but if the striker misses it or passes it to another play to slot it into an open goal, the player who made the chance gets no recognition. How many Barca players have had an assist where they've just passed the ball to Messi on the halfway line and he's ran through the entire team and scored?

It's a garbage stat and one we should be moving away from in the football community.

Yes Hughes hasnt had his best season for us but other than maybe Carson and Ince no other player can really say they had a good season for us, all the changes havent helped any player and Hughes has come out and said it hasnt helped but also that he should have adapted better, I think next season he will be better for having a poor season like this to look back on.

Also we need to remember that hopefully we will have a few players back who are on Hughes' footballing brain level in Thorne amd Martin which will also help his game...hopefully!

No matter what kind of season he had last year 4m is laughable. 

This kind of speculation is now going happen more and more.

New manager with new ideas who may or may not like this player or that player.

Hughes is like Martin and Ince. 

Can be anonymous for nigh on an entire game then do that one thing that wins three points.

Such players divide opinions about how good they are and how much they should cost.

However when we look at transfer fees at the moment £4,000,000 does feel a bit cheap when you consider we apparently bid the same fee for a centre back who played very little last season for Newcastle.

If he does leave I truly hope that we've learned valuable lessons from the debacle last season with Martin and get the very best deal for our club and not just sell off the family silver on the cheap.

Archived