Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

How though?! How do you get those calls wrong?! It's there in front of you! 

"Oh, we could do better than Ward… let's sign somebody who's not a winger to replace him!"

"I want to play out from the back… JASON SHACKELL!" 

"Don't worry lads, George'll stay fit all season, we don't need cover!"

Clement misread the signs. He saw our late season collapse, not as a symptom of inadequate cover, but of us being too attacking.

He thought "they conceded too many goals, let's go more defensive", and brought in the likes of Shackell with no regard to how well he could pass a football. 

He  clearly had no understanding of what had made us such a good team before then - the high pressing, the quick paced attacking play, the absolute belief that we could pass our way out of trouble (which we could).

Although to be fair, Thorne did stay fit the entire season (apart from the play-offs).

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

In an interview towards the end of the season Rowett talked about improved energy/workrate etc and cited Burnley and Boro as role models for the way to get out of this league.  The clues were there. This has been coming.   

A high workrate is always welcome, nothing wrong with that. The thing is, Hughes does work hard for the team. It's not like he is a luxury player who strolls around the park waiting for the ball to come to him. If Rowett has assessed this Derby squad and has come to the conclusion that our promotion chances will improve if we sell Hughes, then I'll lose a lot of respect for Rowett as a manager.

I know that every player has a price, but surely everybody should prefer him to stay. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

How though?! How do you get those calls wrong?! It's there in front of you! 

"Oh, we could do better than Ward… let's sign somebody who's not a winger to replace him!"

"I want to play out from the back… JASON SHACKELL!" 

"Don't worry lads, George'll stay fit all season, we don't need cover!"

Don't forget other such classics such as: buying a midfielder that can't pass for a team that is going to be heavily possession orientated or letting Dawkins go and replace him with a half season wonder + a guy who has one positive quality "fast".

39 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Don't forget other such classics such as: buying a midfielder that can't pass for a team that is going to be heavily possession orientated or letting Dawkins go and replace him with a half season wonder + a guy who has one positive quality "fast".

Thing is, I don't even think Camara is that quick.

Maybe from a standing start, which is why he completely stops the ball before attacking his man, but over any distance I've not seen the evidence.

41 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe from a standing start, which is why he completely stops the ball before attacking his man, but over any distance I've not seen the evidence.

They always say the first 5 yards are in your head.  Which unfortunately gives everybody else a 5 yard start over Camara.

45 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think you might have a point, he's not so quick he's frightening is he ?

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Clement misread the signs. He saw our late season collapse, not as a symptom of inadequate cover, but of us being too attacking.

He thought "they conceded too many goals, let's go more defensive", and brought in the likes of Shackell with no regard to how well he could pass a football. 

He  clearly had no understanding of what had made us such a good team before then - the high pressing, the quick paced attacking play, the absolute belief that we could pass our way out of trouble (which we could).

Although to be fair, Thorne did stay fit the entire season (apart from the play-offs).

In fairness to Clement, I think it's a bit difficult to know how much of those summer signings were his fault. He came to Derby with what I imagine was very little knowledge of players within the league so probably had to rely heavily on what the scouts at the club suggested.

I'm not saying he's blameless but as we are not privvy to the inner workings of the club it's a bit difficult to know how much of the blame should be apportioned clement. 

3 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Probably already been mentioned. But we have just paid £3.5m for anya and £8.5m for vydra from Watford. So they are taking the p"ss if they think vydra is worth a lot more than Hughes. They've already ripped us off twice surely not a third time 

Could we still owe money for Vydra & Anya?

Maybe that's why the bid is £5 million? 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It's a good point... 

If we owe some money on them 2 transfers and that money is then wiped off with a total of £5m coming to us, that's good business.

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'm sure I read a while ago that's how the vast majority of our transfers are done now over x amount of years, so its very likely we still owe a fair amount for both. I'd stick to the payment plan and keep our Will mind!

This was last July:

"Aston Villa have wrapped up the £5m capture of Reading midfielder Aaron Tshibola.

Tshibola has now linked up with his new teammates on Villa’s pre-season tour in Austria.

The 21-year-old made just 17 appearances after making his Royals debut as a teenager. He also appeared 23 times on loan for League Two outfit Hartlepool."

Back to Will Hughes , possible captain of England u21's tonight. 180 appearances in the championship. Shame on you GR if you get rid for 5 million.

Are we struggling that much in FFP? 

4 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

This was last July:

"Aston Villa have wrapped up the £5m capture of Reading midfielder Aaron Tshibola.

Tshibola has now linked up with his new teammates on Villa’s pre-season tour in Austria.

The 21-year-old made just 17 appearances after making his Royals debut as a teenager. He also appeared 23 times on loan for League Two outfit Hartlepool."

Back to Will Hughes , possible captain of England u21's tonight. 180 appearances in the championship. Shame on you GR if you get rid for 5 million.

Are we struggling that much in FFP? 

Nope!

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

In fairness to Clement, I think it's a bit difficult to know how much of those summer signings were his fault. He came to Derby with what I imagine was very little knowledge of players within the league so probably had to rely heavily on what the scouts at the club suggested.

I'm not saying he's blameless but as we are not privvy to the inner workings of the club it's a bit difficult to know how much of the blame should be apportioned clement. 

He arrived pretty early in the summer. He had plenty of time to get up to speed on the championship.

He was hired on June 1. That's a month before the transfer window starts. That's over 2 months before the first match and 3 months before the transfer window shuts.

That should be more than enough time to get up to speed and become a bit more knowledgable about the league you're working in. 

He also had final say on all signings. Say what you will about Mel, he backs his managers to the hilt until he stops believing in them. If Clement wasn't happy with some of the signings, he should have just said so. Mel probably would've done what he'd asked. 

Archived