Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DcFc Dyycheee said:

If selling Hughes means we can keep Ince then it's not too bad. Losing them both without quality replacements would be awful.

Selling Hughes for peanuts and replacing with Whelan is enough to have me gazing longingly off of a bridge.

Rubbish. Absolute and utter rubbish.  When you think back to all the summers we've been desperate to keep hold of him, and then we just give him away for basically sod all in the current market.  If his stock is low at the moment, then why the hell are we selling him?  

If it's genuinely because Rowett doesn't want him, then Rowett can just get lost and crawl back into whatever neanderthal cave he came out of.  Any residual goodwill that Rowett had from his time at Derby is well and truly gone now, anything short of top 6 by say October and he should be worrying for his job.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Sale is needed to bring in signings. It's 5m too cheap but last season really held him back. Also, it's our joint highest earners wages off the bill also. 

But why sell your most creative player for significantly less than what it's going to cost to replace him?  It's just ridiculous.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Sale is needed to bring in signings. It's 5m too cheap but last season really held him back. Also, it's our joint highest earners wages off the bill also. 

You can barely buy a distinctly average centre back these days for £8m.

We have a laundry list of players we can get rid off for millions under what we paid, and no one would care.

And as I previously mentioned, selling a player like this to fund archaic players like Whelan et al would be footballing suicide. I don't like to crucify the club transfer fees too much in this day and age, and after all, it's not my money, but when you can clearly see we're having our pants pulled down it's hard not to be thoroughly pissed off with it.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

8m rising to over 10m says the article. We clearly need a sale quick, otherwise we'd be trying to drum up a bidding war 

9 goals in 170 games holds the transfer fee back. 

Wish him all the luck though. A England player next season, for sure. 

100% SDSR. 

The lad clearly has talent! As i've said on twitter before, I couldn't find a place in this Rowett team for him. We'd only be holding the lad back because he wouldn't be playing regularly.  

Hughes is about 100th in the list for England place. There are Chelsea bench warmers ahead of him.

He's hardly first choice in Derby's midfield, and as I said about 2 seasons ago, he needs to start influencing the results of games.

Looking pretty with the ball isn't enough, and at some point "potential" has to turn into "performance". Can you say he improved much? I cannot say it and feel like I'm being honest.

There's no doubting he has a lot of attributes, but in the business of football, it's about consistent production of performance, and Will has had about half a good season, halted by injury, in all the years he has been here.

Hughes fee will be on the low due to injuries and a poor season, even more reason not to sell him now. We know how good he is, we know he's worth a hell of a lot more than £8m. Even with addons to £10 is still ridiculously cheap when you look at other players moving.

We signed Vydra for around £8m from Watford, he wouldn't even have made their final Premier League squad and that was on the back of 3 goals in 24 games season and he's a forward.

English players are going for a premium right now, Pickford £30m off the back of one season!

Hughes is still only 22, think a lot of people forget that. Rowett says promotion is a goal, promotion with a Will Hughes in the team sees his value rocket and we know he's the player you build a team around. I'm just struggling to wrap my head around this to. be honest. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

You can barely buy a distinctly average centre back these days for £8m.

We have a laundry list of players we can get rid off for millions under what we paid, and no one would care.

And as I previously mentioned, selling a player like this to fund archaic players like Whelan et al would be footballing suicide. I don't like to crucify the club transfer fees too much in this day and age, and after all, it's not my money, but when you can clearly see we're having our pants pulled down it's hard not to be thoroughly pissed off with it.

But Hughes was distinctly average last season. And with the way we're going to play this season, I don't see that changing. 

The big clubs aren't in for him. There's a reason for that. His progress has stalled massively, and now is the right time for him to move on.

It does make me feel a bit sick knowing that we're selling Hughes for the same fee we paid for Vydra :lol:

If he isn't in Rowett's plans which the back end of last season showed he isn't then 8m for someone who will just be sat on our bench isn't that bed. Yes we could have got more fore his in past summers but he has had 2 poor seasons, I personally don't want to see his career stall and stagnate which if he stays here under Rowett it may we ll do. In a likely 4231 where would you play him? No.10? If so he doesn't score enough, if it's in the 2 CDM's then that for me is too defensive for him.

We have needed a huge shake up in this squad for a while now, Hughes wouldn't be on my list to go and everyone will have their own opinion on who they would prefer to go but this shake up is needed and we all have to back Rowett regardless of who goes and who comes in

Archived