Rowett on Radio Derby

G STAR RAM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

In all fairness I was slaughtered for calling Pearson out on the season's eve :p

I was very much against Pearson but it was a personal dislike of him. Even if he'd got us playing like Brazil I'd have still disliked him. 

I actually didn't mind Ramage earlier, he pressed certain questions when Gary just gave a textbook answer back. 

I don't know how but pretty much every question was answered by eluding to the fact we've either recruited badly and haven't got different type of players. If you listen to the first 10 minutes you've pretty much listened to it all. I don't expect GR to come out naming and shaming players or positions but did we learn anything new overall? 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry, obviously a 'Gary Rowett phone in' thread on a DCFC forum is completely the wrong place to discuss it.

I'll just bite down on any negatives i took from it, and think only of happy thoughts in future.

Ok that would be nice thanks. Were you the bloke on the radio the other day saying we'd be mid table next season if not fighting relegation in proper Mystic Meg fashion? 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I actually didn't mind Ramage earlier, he pressed certain questions when Gary just gave a textbook answer back. 

I don't know how but pretty much every question was answered by eluding to the fact we've either recruited badly and haven't got different type of players. If you listen to the first 10 minutes you've pretty much listened to it all. I don't expect GR to come out naming and shaming players or positions but did we learn anything new overall? 

I texted in a question, after 1st ringing in only to find I'd rang my mum by mistake and she was no use!

I found GR's reply to Owens question on Saturday interesting, when he intimated that players couldn't be coached to be better out of possession.

Is that just our players, or all players who can't be improved via coaching?

26 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Gary Rowett "I'm loving the fact that I haven't got one hour 45 minutes to drive into work".  Where is Birmingham's training ground? In Gloucester?

Wast Hills in West Heath, proper ball ache of a drive in rush hour if you're coming from the Derby area, you have to go most of the way round the M42 or through Brum city centre.

I'm not surprised he's happier with Moor Farm!

5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Ok that would be nice thanks. Were you the bloke on the radio the other day saying we'd be mid table next season if not fighting relegation in proper Mystic Meg fashion? 

No i wasn't.

Perhaps you'd do me the courtesy of explaining why i should think everything is rosy in the Derby garden, and not be allowed to express my concerns regarding the club, without being called negative?

Perhaps you call trawl my previous posts, and point out my latent negativity to myself, on which I'd apologize?

Otherwise, maybe you could accept that we all see things differently, and maybe accept a forum is the perfect place to express different opinions without taking that so called negativity to the game?

38 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

This confused me as it's a contradiction in itself.

The recruitment was poor because we started signing players that were far too different for what we need and yet we don't have different enough to change things?

Ramage I was paraphrasing by the way, not Rowett, even though you were talking about GR. 

It wasn't as interesting as i'd hoped..........lots of platitudes, generalities, blahdy blahdy blah.

learnt very little about the scale of changes to come.

Just now, RamNut said:

It wasn't as interesting as i'd hoped..........lots of platitudes, generalities, blahdy blahdy blah.

learnt very little about the scale of changes to come.

Well yeah you had to do a bit of reading between the lines - you didn't really think he'd give us the list of the players he wanted gone did you?

Was interested in the point he made about one club (can't remember which) where there'd been a 'churn' of 10 players over the summer - a hint that such big changes are possible here too?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well yeah you had to do a bit of reading between the lines - you didn't really think he'd give us the list of the players he wanted gone did you?

Was interested in the point he made about one club (can't remember which) where there'd been a 'churn' of 10 players over the summer - a hint that such big changes are possible here too?

Just found it quite boring tbh. Craig threw in a couple of good questions perhaps because nobody else did.

Rowett had nothing to gain by doing that. He couldn't answer any of the questions that really need answering because either he doesn't yet know the answer or the for obvious reasons that he hasn't told the players/CEO etc. He's hardly going to come on the radio and say "Yes I agree with you, such and such is rubbish and I'm going to try and sell him in a fortnight's time". 

So in the 20 minutes I listened to before getting bored and leaving, I learned absolutely nothing. Just batting away any interesting questions with good skill.

It doesn't help that they allow the great unwashed to call in with utterly vacuous "questions" which half the time aren't even questions, just bog standard and bleeding obvious observations. If you've got a manager for an hour, just let a proper journalist give him a good going over rather than allow people to call in and waste five minutes saying how they don't like the centre halves passing to each other.

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

Rowett had nothing to gain by doing that. He couldn't answer any of the questions that really need answering because either he doesn't yet know the answer or the for obvious reasons that he hasn't told the players/CEO etc. He's hardly going to come on the radio and say "Yes I agree with you, such and such is rubbish and I'm going to try and sell him in a fortnight's time". 

So in the 20 minutes I listened to before getting bored and leaving, I learned absolutely nothing. Just batting away any interesting questions with good skill.

It doesn't help that they allow the great unwashed to call in with utterly vacuous "questions" which half the time aren't even questions, just bog standard and bleeding obvious observations. If you've got a manager for an hour, just let a proper journalist give him a good going over rather than allow people to call in and waste five minutes saying how they don't like the centre halves passing to each other.

Spot on VR.

Its a rubbish modern trait to question managers in the hope that they let slip some fact that could be used as a headline....its a game, managers know that and have to try and find a balance between saying nothing and giving nothing away.

Bullllllshittt modern journalism in a quest for instant soundbites.

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Yep, one of the first callers was awful. "I'm a season ticket holder and so have watched all the home games and two things that keep on annoying me are: when the goalkeeper has the ball, he'll roll it to one of the full backs and then he'll give it to a centre half. Then he gives it to the other full back and it'll probably come back again. Then the full backs get the ball again and will make their way forward but then when they reach the half way line they turn and pass it back. This gives the opposition all the time they need to get back into position ready to defend. And the other thing that annoys me is that when we do get it into the forwards, a defender will rush up and press him and then he has to pass backward and I just feel like we could be more adventurous and get it forward quicker."

What did he expect as a response for Rowett? "Well f**k me sideways Derek, I hadn't noticed that. I thought the passing it around the back was a big factor in us scoring goals but you're right, it does seem to be an issue. Don't worry mate, I'll have them going route one next game, just for you."

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll save watching and listening to this until tomorrow when I've finished making an igloo, a couple of snowmen with the kids, and finished sledging. Yep been snowing today just in time for the cricket season to start at the weekend!

Regarding this Rowett on Radio Derby thing, I think I need to be throwing a snowball or two at the blokes with a yellow and green microphone, what next footballers poncing about in coloured football boots and wearing woolly gloves!

PS..... Have we sold Tom Ince and Darren Bent yet?.......wake me up when we do, with a nice warm horlicks!

I only caught the last 20 mins on the radio but I do think Rowett comes across well. I am not sure what people are really expecting from his answers, no manager would reveal their in depth plans on a local radio phone in.

A couple of things I did find interesting, firstly the reference to Eustace as the type of player Derby have missed. Secondly he suggested bringing in players who could do the things others weren't so good at to allow them to do what they are good at. Maybe that second point seems common sense but I took it as meaning a few more "grafters" to allow our more skillful players more scope to be free.

I see Rowett as a combination of Clough and Clement, just more positive. I think if anything this season has probably proved that Pearson was right to change the team up, just he made a complete disaster of it. Things have gone stale and we need something fresh, how that changes the attractiveness of the football, we wait and see. Exciting to try something new.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I texted in a question, after 1st ringing in only to find I'd rang my mum by mistake and she was no use!

I found GR's reply to Owens question on Saturday interesting, when he intimated that players couldn't be coached to be better out of possession.

Is that just our players, or all players who can't be improved via coaching?

Codswallop. Any monkey can be trained off the ball. It's the 'on the ball' that's talent.

Rowett comes across really well, which he knows and is probably a large factor behind him doing these types of things. 

He talks, the fans buy into it. The reason some managers won't/can't do these types of things is they can't/don't come across as well as they would hope. Pearson would have called Ramage an ostrich and McClaren would be chuckling and slurping from an empty coffee cup for an hour. It's not to say the latter two aren't skilled, but they just can't perform on the same stage as Rowett. 

I think it was interesting enough, providing you read between the lines in almost every question, but I'm disappointed more wasn't made of Thorne. Martin is clearly in the plans next season, as a number 10 (perhaps), although Ramage may have planted some doubts there. 

Rowett seems to have a very similar viewpoint on Hughes, which was nice to see, as he may, hopefully, start putting his stamp on games more regularly. 

Also, I expect to see him go in for a former player or two. If you've had 'conversations' about it, then it's likely questions will materialise. 

12 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Codswallop. Any monkey can be trained off the ball. It's the 'on the ball' that's talent.

As an example, I suggest you watch Ince then. It's called positional play. He plays positionally where he shouldn't be; when he's off the ball, which is most of the time.

I just question where his off the ball training went to. Probably hence GR's comments.

15 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I see Rowett as a combination of Clough and Clement, just more positive. I think if anything this season has probably proved that Pearson was right to change the team up, just he made a complete disaster of it. Things have gone stale and we need something fresh, how that changes the attractiveness of the football, we wait and see. Exciting to try something new.

I can see the Nigel Clough similarity, not so sure about the clement - although he does speak well and clement always did that.

Archived