Rowett on Radio Derby

G STAR RAM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'I hate to be negative but....' :angry: Well don't be then!

wouldnt if be good if the fans gave the bloke a chance? Mel has been ripped to shreds for not giving managers a chance but some fans are whining about Rowett before he's had any influence at all. 

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

wouldnt if be good if the fans gave the bloke a chance? Mel has been ripped to shreds for not giving managers a chance but some fans are whining about Rowett before he's had any influence at all. 

In all fairness I was slaughtered for calling Pearson out on the season's eve :p

5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Sorry, obviously a 'Gary Rowett phone in' thread on a DCFC forum is completely the wrong place to discuss it.

I'll just bite down on any negatives i took from it, and think only of happy thoughts in future.

22 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'll don my tin hat, and say for me Rowett came across as a better mannered version of Nigel Pearson.

All pace, power and what we would do without the ball, rather than with it.

Happily referencing Burnley and Boro as how to get out of the division, neglecting to mention Bournemouth and Watford a couple of seasons back, who've managed to not come straight back down, unlike the other two (matter of time for the smoggies).

If i was a betting man, I'd give him until November.

I hate to be negative, and would love to be wrong, but i think the steps back to progress will be the undoing of him.

Feel free to bookmark!

I agree but don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Where Pearson had the people skills of a cornered feral cat rowett seems very skilled at dealing with people and this might go some of the way to explaining how he managed to achieve the results he did with a very poor birmingham team. I think the point he was making is that there is more than one method of winning football matches and we have been very one dimensional for the last couple of seasons and I would have to agree with him on that point. I'm looking forward to hopefully playing with more pace and purpose and if that means less pointless possession between the full backs and centre backs then all the better. So far I've been impressed with the way he has conducted himself. 

1 minute ago, Spenno said:

I agree but don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Where Pearson had the people skills of a cornered feral cat rowett seems very skilled at dealing with people and this might go some of the way to explaining how he managed to achieve the results he did with a very poor birmingham team. I think the point he was making is that there is more than one method of winning football matches and we have been very one dimensional for the last couple of seasons and I would have to agree with him on that point. I'm looking forward to hopefully playing with more pace and purpose and if that means less pointless possession between the full backs and centre backs then all the better. So far I've been impressed with the way he has conducted himself. 

A reasonable point, and i hope you're right. Hopefully we keep the baby, and throw out the bathwater!

5 minutes ago, Spenno said:

I think the point he was making is that there is more than one method of winning football matches and we have been very one dimensional for the last couple of seasons and I would have to agree with him on that point.

He didn't say 'we' have been one-d and when talking about plan b with Birmingham he said Plan A was all he needed (paraphrased).

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Will do. But I don't know what you mean!

Pearson took us backwards, in terms of both style and results.

If Gary does the same, with the same aim of improving us long term, i hope Mel gives him more time to show progress.

So far, apart from the fact Gary's much nicer to listen to, I don't hear too much dissimilar in their rhetoric.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Pearson took us backwards, in terms of both style and results.

If Gary does the same, with the same aim of improving us long term, i hope Mel gives him more time to show progress.

So far, apart from the fact Gary's much nicer to listen to, I don't hear too much dissimilar in their rhetoric.

Except it can already be seen that GR hasn't 'nose-dived' us like Pearson did! So I'm sure Mel will give GR time (and GR said Mel had given him carte blanche) and we will se what he can do.

Will be intresting to see who stays and who goes,assuming a clear out happens as most of us have vented that we have a team of individual overpriced overpaid mercenaries throughout the season.

What will be equally interesting will be the comments on here when players go,as I expect people to react negatively as too why one player goes whilst another stays or indeed why someone comes in that is considered more talentless than some one departed.

Just hope GR,gets the balance right can form a cohesive group of players and perhaps bring in a few jems. Whatever and whoever goes and comes should make for some intresting debate on the forum which might just make the c!osed season more intresting than usual.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except it can already be seen that GR hasn't 'nose-dived' us like Pearson did! So I'm sure Mel will give GR time (and GR said Mel had given him carte blanche) and we will se what he can do.

The same way he gave Clement carte blance to bring in his own January signings, only to sack him a few weeks later with us in 5th?

Or the same way he bought Mac back in October, having realised that the 'Derby Way' was in fact Steve's way all along, only to reverse ferret a few months later, after he'd lifted us from the relegation places to the fringe of the play offs?

You're sure he'll give him time, with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The same way he gave Clement carte blance to bring in his own January signings, only to sack him a few weeks later with us in 5th?

Or the same way he bought Mac back in October, having realised that the 'Derby Way' was in fact Steve's way all along, only to reverse ferret a few months later, after he'd lifted us from the relegation places to the fringe of the play offs?

You're sure he'll give him time, with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

No of course I'm not 100% sure, who could be? But I think he's smart enough to learn from past mistakes - perhaps thinking that tweaks, with PC and Mac, were all that were needed. Maybe now he's sees not and thinks differently.

I think the time given to Rowett might depend on who's appointment he is. What I mean by that is I've read on here Rush convinced Mel that McClaren was the man to succeed Pearson. 

Mel may have been sceptical but was won over by his silver tongued CE. Now, if Rowett is a Mel appointment, I feel a slowish start to next season might be tolerated more than if he is another suggestion by old silver tongue. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

No of course I'm not 100% sure, who could be? But I think he's smart enough to learn from past mistakes - perhaps thinking that tweaks, with PC and Mac, were all that were needed. Maybe now he's sees not and thinks differently.

Fair point, and I'd point out I'm not anti Rowett.

I just see little evidence so far he's the Messiah, indeed i wouldn't expect to.

But to question his plans to take us forward, based on his responses during a radio call in, is surely reasonable?

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

But to question his plans to take us forward, based on his responses during a radio call in, is surely reasonable?

Sure, why not. Just replying with positives for you to consider. With not much to go on I'd rather be positive, why not. :)

Archived