Rowett on Radio Derby

G STAR RAM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamNut said:

You should have seen Bruce Rioch when his gander was up.

my god. Sometimes you had to close your eyes.

fantastic. 

Yep quite a few opposition player were goosed by Rioch 

dont think this love of a hard tackle is just some British thing ,, look at the Italians over the years , the argies and plenty others ,, it's just that the games changed now and to be honest it's for the better ,, yes there's a real skill to defending and tackling that I personally don't want to see lost from the game but by the same token it's good that we are trying to stop the soul destroying scenario where skilled players could be targeted to injure and smash out of a game resulting in poorer games and often team then being without their better players for a run of games or even longer , 

7 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It's not the sole mentality though, is it. It's not as if we throw our technically gifted players straight onto the scrap heap to make way for these types of players. It's just a part of our game, which I like. 

You don't have to have bruisers when you've got some of the best players in the world, of course not but they still had edge, they still had strength. Maybe not quite the stereotypical english kind of player that we produce but Puyol, Mascherano as you've mentioned and Busquets through the spine of that team gave them plenty of bite when needed. 

I think the "I don't go to matches to see legs broken" is unfair and taken out of context a little, I clearly said I don't want people's leg's broken too, I like hard but fair tackles. They're totally different to what you then attack in the rest of your post. I think you're incredibly harsh on Douglas, is he really a thug? A poor mis-timed tackle which lead to an unfortunate injury, not the first in football and certainly not the last. 

As for it being a myth, i'm not so sure it actually is one. Nobody is saying it's the be all and end all of a successful team but i think it certainly helps. We're a Championship team and the league's very cynical at times, I think we've missed a player who gives us something in this department, it might have even released others around him to showcase their abilities too. A la John Eustace. 

This is what I meant @McLovin but you chose to take an extreme viewpoint. Anyway I've watched enough namby-pamby, ticky tacky (sic) foreign teams to know that quite a few of the aren't averse to using a 'bit of steel' when defending.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Anyone who was at bramall lane will never forget this 'tackle' on chris morgan

Morgan was a dirty / hard / uncompromising centre half who had fractured one players skull.

he went thundering in for a 50:50 with Bolder and Bolder won leaving Morgan hobbling around. 

Magnificent. 

Looked a bit like this.....

I was watching that game with a blades fan, was one of those tackles that mafe everyone get up on their feet. He wasnt best pleased until I pointed out that Morgan had been on the other side of that challenge more than his fair share and was due one, at which pointed he just nodded and sat back down :lol:

A couple of positives.

He sees Martin as a link-up man rather than a target man. 

He understands WHY it's gone wrong. It's not this nonsense about players not caring. The squad isn't balanced and we don't have an XI that can cover all bases. 

10 hours ago, bucktwo said:

My all time favourite match the Newcastle cup game ... 11 years old and the quality of each rams goal was amazing .... how much for a Rioch George Hector type triple signing this summer ??

Was that the 4-2 game?

Rioch, George and Hector most of the younger fans will have know idea how good those 3 really were.

Do you remember Rioch playing a make shift centre forward for the Spurs game and hitting 4 in a 8-2 win?

Just now, toddy said:

Was that the 4-2 game?

Rioch, George and Hector most of the younger fans will have know idea how good those 3 really were.

Do you remember Rioch playing a make shift centre forward for the Spurs game and hitting 4 in a 8-2 win?

That was the first win of that season which I think was dave mackays last as manager?

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Why not? Possibly to develop into one of 2 deep midfielder 's  in a 4231. 

I do often wonder how much footballers really do develop in their late teens/early twenties. If they 'have it' you normally spot it straight away. 

He's as old as Thorne was when he was running the show at Wembley. Hanson's been steady. 

Perhaps if he beefs himself up a lot and tries to model his game on BJ.

19 minutes ago, cannable said:

I do often wonder how much footballers really do develop in their late teens/early twenties. If they 'have it' you normally spot it straight away. 

He's as old as Thorne was when he was running the show at Wembley. Hanson's been steady. 

Might be useful as one of those who do the grafting to let the better players play.

Agree he ain't gonna be one of the stars.

Hanson reminds me a bit of Seth In the latter part of his career - brave, committed, good passer etc. Not Seth a la left-sided England midfield but cm in playoffs for us!   That would be nice. We need at least one of those types and I would like to see him given a chance.

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anyone think rowett might fancy Jamie Hanson next season? Had a bit more experience now (at Wigan)?

I think he could definitely do a job , thought it was strange when he got loaned out. Thing with Hanson is he needs to be utilised in one position and not keep being used in various positions. Pick a position ( deep lying midfielder) and let him work on that. His passing range is as good as if not better than our current crop of midfielders, just needs to work on the timing of his tackles.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

When I think of youth players that didn't look up to it, I always think of Tudgay. Went to my school (coulple of years older than me), wasn't the best player at school, wasn't very good for the reserves, had a bad injury and was on a monthly deal, next minute he was the only fit striker on the books and had to olay in the first team, and didn't look out of place after a run of games. I think Hanson needs a run of games for us in a single position (not really followed his progess at Wigan so may have got that)

12 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I don't know why but I really don't rate Hanson.

I'm with you but I know. Wrong decisions is his biggest weakness. No matter is it tackle or pass, too often he picks wrong way to do it.

Lack of footballing brain, some might say. Defensive version of Bennett.

What I've seen him, only time he looks comfortable is CB. That's where he should play, but simply can't in this league.

Archived