Rowett on Radio Derby

G STAR RAM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, philmycock said:

What's the problem, it's normal in football conversations in the pub, when we win we're Real Madrid, when we lose we're Leyton Orient, best is to just sit back and watch the action cuz none of us can change owt, we just analyse!

It could be worse, we could be like Real Madrid fans who smash up their own players cars whenever they lose and wave white hankies

To be honest I struggle to explain what my problem is but I can try.

its the fans that seem to think that unless you can pick out negatives you're being hoodwinked. Those that seem to think it's cool to assassinate the character of the chairman. Those that can ignore the fact that despite a few less than ideal things happening this season we are still top half. And those that think it's our Devine right to be promoted. 

I don't think I'm stupid for just supporting the team and looking forward to next season with the hope of seeing some wins along the way. 

On 4/24/2017 at 21:03, Spenno said:

I agree but don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Where Pearson had the people skills of a cornered feral cat rowett seems very skilled at dealing with people and this might go some of the way to explaining how he managed to achieve the results he did with a very poor birmingham team. I think the point he was making is that there is more than one method of winning football matches and we have been very one dimensional for the last couple of seasons and I would have to agree with him on that point. I'm looking forward to hopefully playing with more pace and purpose and if that means less pointless possession between the full backs and centre backs then all the better. So far I've been impressed with the way he has conducted himself. 

Was Pearson really ever that measured? :mellow:

I've just watch that video and wow, Derek from mickleover and ramage demonstrate what is wrong with English football as a whole. The need to crop people to let them know they're there and the need to hoof the ball forwards. The first thing that xabi Alonso said when he came to England is that the English mentality needs to change. I get the impression from some fans around me at games that they'd rather see a player go in and crop a player to show "passion" rather than come up with a wonderful bit of skill.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I get the impression from some fans around me at games that they'd rather see a player go in and crop a player to show "passion" rather than come up with a wonderful bit of skill.

Yeah why not? You sound like one of those fans who can't see the skill in good defending either.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

It wasn't aimed at you specifically. I think I did what you did to reveldevil. Took frustration with a few other posters and let it out at the first thing I took issue with

Post freely. Please

I thought you said G'night!......Crikey, then 4 minutes later your back on, who's contradicting who here? Unless you like the best power nap in the world. Enjoy a good nights sleep.

Let's face it Nigel Clough, Mac 1 or Mac 2 (as some like to call him on here etc) or Pearson or Rowett have not yet managed to get Derby promoted out of the championship, and that is the most important fact and we can throw all the other failing managers into the mix also, as all the others are just statistics of history now that really don't matter that much, as you or anyone can do whatever you like with such statistics, at the end of the day, we as fans are all going to prefer different managers/coaches for whatever personal reasons and our choices, it's human nature, and that's exactly what you get on this forum, therefore nobody is wrong and nobody is right.

We all need to get along and again try our best as supporters to get behind the latest manager and hope that he is the one, that can take Derby County back to the Premiership and keep us there, whenever we get there, please enjoy your football club and your fellow fans, after all it's only football!

As for Gary Rowett, he talks about getting the balance right, and lets all hope he does that, and his and our team deliver exactly the results we all hope for. As for you Alpha, 4 minutes is not enough sleep time enjoy 8 hours and get the balance right, remember the good old days before computers, how much time do we all waste on these poxy things!

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah why not? You sound like one of those fans who can't see the skill in good defending either.

In all fairness the modern train of thought is that skilful defending is maintaing a good shape, pressing at the perfect time and intercepting the ball.

That being said, Jamie Hanson smashing Osborn was a wonderful thing and I love a good two footer!

23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I've just watch that video and wow, Derek from mickleover and ramage demonstrate what is wrong with English football as a whole. The need to crop people to let them know they're there and the need to hoof the ball forwards. The first thing that xabi Alonso said when he came to England is that the English mentality needs to change. I get the impression from some fans around me at games that they'd rather see a player go in and crop a player to show "passion" rather than come up with a wonderful bit of skill.

I don't think it's "wrong" mate, it's just a very British trait to like a hard tackle from a roughian who patrols around like a mad dog IMO. It's entertaining in itself and has been for decades. I like a player with a bit of bite, a player when things aren't going your way can ignite a game through a tackle or foul. I'm not saying I want people's leg's broken - far from it but in a poor game devoid of any quality there's nothing better than seeing a good crunching, fair tackle. It can even lift the crowd/atmosphere. When I first had my ST it was Adam Bolder, a very average player in a poor team but would give you that bite and edge when needed, Seth Johnson followed and look at what a favourite he was. 

That's not the sole view though, you only have to look at how the national team (Senior and all below) are now trying to play football. The last 10 years has seen a sudden emphasis on ball players, players who are comfortable under pressure and technically there's some very good young talent about, albeit not quite the finished articles yet. There's been a definite mentality change but you'll never wash out a few of our traits as a nation. It's what makes us British/English sometimes and I wouldn't want to see the end of that. 

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Going around kicking people doesn't show good defending, it shows immaturity. Alonso said slide tackling should be an absolute last resort and you should stay on your feet as much as possible. That's why Shackell got a lot of criticism from Derby fans last season, despite him actually being smart by jockeying.

You can show passion in other ways, you don't have to go around kicking people. Rowett referred to the Dortmund team under Klopp as one of his inspirations in that video. Everyone loved them because they pressed the ball intelligently and always gave their all. They didn't run around like headless chickens but used their brains.

Anyway I thought Gary Rowett was brilliant on Radio Derby, he spoke well, and I think he's brilliant, he's a radio star.

I heard us on the wireless back in 72
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through
Oh a oh (Since I was young)

They took the credit for your second symphony
Rewritten by machine on new technology
And now I understand the problems you Gary Rowett can see
Oh a oh

I met your children (I haven't really)
Oh a oh

What did you tell them?
Gary Rowett is the radio star

BBG Pictures came and broke your heart
Oh, a, a, a, oh

And now we meet in an abandoned studio
We hear the playback and it seems so long ago
And you remember the jingles used to go
Oh-a oh

You were the first one
Oh-a oh

You were the last one

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far
Oh-a-aho oh
Oh-a-aho oh

36 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think it's "wrong" mate, it's just a very British trait to like a hard tackle from a roughian who patrols around like a mad dog IMO. It's entertaining in itself and has been for decades. I like a player with a bit of bite, a player when things aren't going your way can ignite a game through a tackle or foul. I'm not saying I want people's leg's broken - far from it but in a poor game devoid of any quality there's nothing better than seeing a good crunching, fair tackle. It can even lift the crowd/atmosphere. When I first had my ST it was Adam Bolder, a very average player in a poor team but would give you that bite and edge when needed, Seth Johnson followed and look at what a favourite he was. 

That's not the sole view though, you only have to look at how the national team (Senior and all below) are now trying to play football. The last 10 years has seen a sudden emphasis on ball players, players who are comfortable under pressure and technically there's some very good young talent about, albeit not quite the finished articles yet. There's been a definite mentality change but you'll never wash out a few of our traits as a nation. It's what makes us British/English sometimes and I wouldn't want to see the end of that. 

That's fair enough but we as a nation are not going to win anything with that sort of mentality. I mean you don't have to have bruisers to successful. Arguably the greatest club side of all time, Barcelona under Guardiola, didn't have any bruisers in their team. Even Mascherano was encouraged to be less aggressive than he was previously . I don't go to matches to see legs broken. I appreciate and can understand your view but on the other scale, you have thugs like Jonathon Douglas who go around being reckless with their challenges which result in players getting career threatening injuries like George Thorne's. Makes me cringe at those sort of players because they obviously have the ability to make it professionally but choose to act recklessly instead and enact the hard man persona instead. Even I could do that!!! Scott brown from Celtic is the worst one that springs to mind. Take the wales v Ireland game as a example, every man and his dog could see that there was going to be a serious injury with the way every player raised their feet high which unfortunately proved to be true with seamus coleman's injury. I appreciate the technical ability of a Hughes or an Ince producing a bit of magic than a player doing a two-footer that could potentially end the other player's career. It's a complete myth that you need players that aren't afraid to go in for a crunching tackle. Maybe 20 years ago but the game has evolved

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's fair enough but we as a nation are not going to win anything with that sort of mentality. I mean you don't have to have bruisers to successful. Arguably the greatest club side of all time, Barcelona under Guardiola, didn't have any bruisers in their team. Even Mascherano was encouraged to be less aggressive than he was previously . I don't go to matches to see legs broken. I appreciate and can understand your view but on the other scale, you have thugs like Jonathon Douglas who go around being reckless with their challenges which result in players getting career threatening injuries like George Thorne's. Makes me cringe at those sort of players because they obviously have the ability to make it professionally but choose to act recklessly instead and enact the hard man persona instead. Even I could do that!!! Scott brown from Celtic is the worst one that springs to mind. Take the wales v Ireland game as a example, every man and his dog could see that there was going to be a serious injury with the way every player raised their feet high which unfortunately proved to be true with seamus coleman's injury. I appreciate the technical ability of a Hughes or an Ince producing a bit of magic than a player doing a two-footer that could potentially end the other player's career. It's a complete myth that you need players that aren't afraid to go in for a crunching tackle. Maybe 20 years ago but the game has evolved

It's not the sole mentality though, is it. It's not as if we throw our technically gifted players straight onto the scrap heap to make way for these types of players. It's just a part of our game, which I like. 

You don't have to have bruisers when you've got some of the best players in the world, of course not but they still had edge, they still had strength. Maybe not quite the stereotypical english kind of player that we produce but Puyol, Mascherano as you've mentioned and Busquets through the spine of that team gave them plenty of bite when needed. 

I think the "I don't go to matches to see legs broken" is unfair and taken out of context a little, I clearly said I don't want people's leg's broken too, I like hard but fair tackles. They're totally different to what you then attack in the rest of your post. I think you're incredibly harsh on Douglas, is he really a thug? A poor mis-timed tackle which lead to an unfortunate injury, not the first in football and certainly not the last. 

As for it being a myth, i'm not so sure it actually is one. Nobody is saying it's the be all and end all of a successful team but i think it certainly helps. We're a Championship team and the league's very cynical at times, I think we've missed a player who gives us something in this department, it might have even released others around him to showcase their abilities too. A la John Eustace. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Going around kicking people doesn't show good defending, it shows immaturity. Alonso said slide tackling should be an absolute last resort and you should stay on your feet as much as possible. That's why Shackell got a lot of criticism from Derby fans last season, despite him actually being smart by jockeying.

Some of the best individual defending I've seen from a Derby player in years in was when Shacks was last man and he shepherded the onrushishing striker from straight down the middle into the corner.

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

You should have seen Dave Mackay. 

He made tackling an art form. In fact i can't think of him without remembering his sliding tackles. 

Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

You can show passion in other ways, you don't have to go around kicking people. 

You should have seen Bruce Rioch when his gander was up.

my god. Sometimes you had to close your eyes.

fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Adam Bolder, a very average player in a poor team but would give you that bite and edge when needed. 

Anyone who was at bramall lane will never forget this 'tackle' on chris morgan

Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock on Adam Bolder's tackle on Blades captain Chris Morgan:
"If I can see from 60 yards that is a broken-leg tackle, surely the referee can see.

Morgan was a dirty / hard / uncompromising centre half who had fractured one players skull.

he went thundering in for a 50:50 with Bolder and Bolder won leaving Morgan hobbling around. 

Magnificent. 

Looked a bit like this.....

I can't confirm it but I heard that he ran half the length of the pitch and took a M'bro player out the game with a vicious tackle and the Chairman of Everton said to him that we don't do things like that at this club. He was sold shortly afterwards.

He was mad. I remember when he went near anyone to tackle, we used to shout 'kill Bruce' and he usually did.

Middlesbrough left back called Bailey (a teenager), Rioch put him out for weeks.

I remember going to Cardiff in a FA Cup game in I think 77. It kicked off outside their Main Stand after the game. Rioch was in a window of the stand, maybe the players lounge shaking his fist as if saying " Get into them."

From Everton fan site

15 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

In your opinion was Rioch a thug or did he have a case of red mist? 

Bruce wasn't a thug. He was hard when he had to be. And sometimes when he didn't. 

He'll be remembered for his goals and his thumping shot. 

Maybe Dave Mackay encouraged him to win a few battles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ExHQcAvlJJU

Archived