Rowett on Radio Derby

G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

As an example, I suggest you watch Ince then. It's called positional play. He plays positionally where he shouldn't be; when he's off the ball, which is most of the time.

I just question where his off the ball training went to. Probably hence GR's comments.

Maybe the constant shopping and changing of coaches had something to do with it thanks to Chairman Mel.

Maybe the players don't give a crap anymore... 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Maybe the players don't give a crap anymore... 

Not so sure about this point as players have a personal pride that goes beyond what they earn. I do agree totally with your first point though, which began when Clement was here/left.

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can see the Nigel Clough similarity, not so sure about the clement - although he does speak well and clement always did that.

Yeah, that is the Clement part. Not sure if any further likeness would be good yet...

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

A couple of things I did find interesting, firstly the reference to Eustace as the type of player Derby have missed. Secondly he suggested bringing in players who could do the things others weren't so good at to allow them to do what they are good at. Maybe that second point seems common sense but I took it as meaning a few more "grafters" to allow our more skillful players more scope to be free.

It saddens me a few more managers haven't realised not everyone has to be a fleet-footed ball-playing superstar capable of beating three players then spreading the ball 90 yards. The best football i've seen from the Rams in my lifetime had Van der Laan and Daryl Powell in the team and they couldn't manage a step-over if their lives depended on it, but they'd sweat blood in trying to get the ball to someone who could.

It's all well and good having ball chasers and workhorses as your "grafters", but having a grafter who is good at their roll and good at making the lives of your better players, well, better makes or breaks a team. Case in point: Kante.

I think I made it to Derek's phone call where he started by mentioning he's a season ticket holder, so everyone knows he has a right to say whatever's he wants because he's paid £300 to look at a field wth the rest of us every couple of weeks, talking about 'what irritated him about our home performances this season' and I just couldn't listen anymore.

Q who is in the recruitment team and how does the recruitment system work 

Rather than.....

Q will you have absolute final say on transfers

A yes

Open rather than closed questions.

Another good question from craig

Q what system will you be playing?

A 4231 and 433 then.....people say you can't play 442 but you can e.g. Brighton and burnley?

what?

7 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I texted in a question, after 1st ringing in only to find I'd rang my mum by mistake and she was no use!

I found GR's reply to Owens question on Saturday interesting, when he intimated that players couldn't be coached to be better out of possession.

Is that just our players, or all players who can't be improved via coaching?

:lol:

How in the hell we managed to sign teamful of stupidest footballers ever? Now I'm starting to blame our scouting too!

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I texted in a question, after 1st ringing in only to find I'd rang my mum by mistake and she was no use!

I found GR's reply to Owens question on Saturday interesting, when he intimated that players couldn't be coached to be better out of possession.

Is that just our players, or all players who can't be improved via coaching?

That comment concerned me actually when i heard it.

So a player is what he is by about 21? After that he cant learn anything new?

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

No i wasn't.

Perhaps you'd do me the courtesy of explaining why i should think everything is rosy in the Derby garden, and not be allowed to express my concerns regarding the club, without being called negative?

Perhaps you call trawl my previous posts, and point out my latent negativity to myself, on which I'd apologize?

Otherwise, maybe you could accept that we all see things differently, and maybe accept a forum is the perfect place to express different opinions without taking that so called negativity to the game?

I don't think you should take it so personally. I didn't quote or tag you in my original observation. There are lots of posters who have got very negative about the new manager, the team, the chairman. I don't like to see assumptions being made that the whole thing will go to **** 4 months before next season has started, and that's just my opinion. 

For me it seems pretty clear that rowett like a lot of us fans feel there is not enough steel in the team , now that does not mean we have to have a team full of steel with no talent and just grinding out results with horrid on the eye anti football and I think that's where we go wrong on this forum at times by getting up in arms when pace and power are mentioned we (some) assume that we are going to abandon any other type of player ,, I liked the way rowett spoke in terms of blend and having enough of one type of player to allow the other type of player to do what they are good at , sheer 100 percent hard work , passion and determination are the basics and the building blocks , he clearly sees that and that's where in my view we have lost our way , clough put all those in place and Mac built on them ,,, lift off ,,, I'm betting we may all be a little uninspired during the summer because we all want the exciting stellar signings that we think wow that will really lift us , but we really need to freshen up the spine/core of the team that is no frills do or die and doesn't wilt or fall down when physical team jump on us and get in our faces , then we add the talent , good managers naturally see that blend and know how to build a team that has the right balance to get the job done over a long season against varying types of teams ,, I'm hoping rowett is that manager , he certainly makes all the right noises ,, time will tell

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I only caught the last 20 mins on the radio but I do think Rowett comes across well. I am not sure what people are really expecting from his answers, no manager would reveal their in depth plans on a local radio phone in.

A couple of things I did find interesting, firstly the reference to Eustace as the type of player Derby have missed. Secondly he suggested bringing in players who could do the things others weren't so good at to allow them to do what they are good at. Maybe that second point seems common sense but I took it as meaning a few more "grafters" to allow our more skillful players more scope to be free.

I see Rowett as a combination of Clough and Clement, just more positive. I think if anything this season has probably proved that Pearson was right to change the team up, just he made a complete disaster of it. Things have gone stale and we need something fresh, how that changes the attractiveness of the football, we wait and see. Exciting to try something new.

Indeed! I think it gave us lots of glimpses of who the manager is and what he might be aiming for. I'd forgotten the Eustace bit. But yeah the bit about getting in players who are good at 'other things' to allow some of our current players to do what they're good at was an interesting way of saying the squads unbalanced - which he also said. Also of course as he said it allows him to sit down with players and say 'you're not in my plans' and have a good reason for it. Rather than just saying you're rubbish I want you out! :D

I expected it would be dull with stock answers. It was that. And I gleaned nothing from it. I'll see what happens next season before making any kind of judgment on GR as a manager, but after a promising start it's been the same fare served up to us for much of the season. I felt he had it sussed after Fulham. But he's played and played around in midfield (just like NP and Mac ended up doing) and that early optimism vanished. 

I would like him here for a few windows at least, give him time. But I've not been overly impressed so far and we all know Mel will have him out the door by October if we aren't top half.

7 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

It saddens me a few more managers haven't realised not everyone has to be a fleet-footed ball-playing superstar ...

Which is indeed what GR said. He was positive about the pros of players who 'don't have pace' - it wasn't quite those words but there had been much made of needing more pace in the side (particularly from Ramage with his Vydra is no.10 stuff). Rowett emphasised the need for other characteristics (can't remember his exact two words) physicality as well as pace.

I've seen nothing to suggest any improvement on the pitch. However he hasn't had a transfer window yet to get the types of players he needs to execute his style of play he wants.

i suspect he will get at least all next season unless we are rock bottom at Xmas and looking pants

Archived