Derby Vs Barnsley

rynny

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Happy for the lads. Nice to see a midfielder further forward and closer to the CF.

How was the link between the back four and the forward players? Johnson I know isn't the best on the ball, therefore there is a lot of responsibility on De Saart in that regard.

If he's off his game we could struggle. Hughes would be the ideal player there but he doesn't seem fully fit.

De Sart imo poor again. Butterfield better second half, but as you say I can see how we may struggle with it, especially away from home, although Johnson was terrific and probably my MOTM

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having done my best to ignore Nugent before we signed him, for the obvious reason he always scored against us,  I didn't realise what a cracking player he is.

Full of energy, and seems to be a great teammate to work with, could turn out to be a very astute signing.

Good performance all round, with everyone contributing something, thought Baird was excellent once again, and Butterfield knitted things together well second half, with Jonno back in beast mode.

On a less positive note, not sure a long floaty throw should reach that far without the keeper claiming it, especially when he didn't have a man in front to stop him, but maybe I'm being harsh.

Promising signs, we can only improve with Keogh to come back, and more understanding of the different demands of this new system.

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why should we be in the top 6 or very close to it? Derby under McClaren have taken 41 points from 25 games. That's 1.64 per game, or 75.44 over a season. Playoff form.

If you hadn't realised. We gave everyone a 10-point head start over the first ten games.

And McClaren has done this without our top scorer Martin, a £10m midfielder in Hendrick, Fozzy and an entire summer transfer window to improve the squad further.

Your expectations are ridiculous. 

Totally correct and saves writing it again 

So much better today, effort, fight and some attacking prowess. Thought Nugent was excellent, his work rate was unbelievable. Johnson proves what a asset he can be, best I've seen Russel play in a while he actually went at the opposition. Ince as he has been all season was great, and his work rate was up there with Nugent today. Only slight on our performance for me was Mr De Sart again, sorry but this kid isn't the answer, I read on here he technically gifted with great passing skills? I'm to be convinced, would rather have Hanson in the team than him. 

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

De Sart imo poor again. Butterfield better second half, but as you say I can see how we may struggle with it, especially away from home, although Johnson was terrific and probably my MOTM

Think bringing Hughes back in would solves that issue, Thorne however is the man that would really take the midfield to the next level

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

would rather have Hanson in the team than him. 

Thanks, now i remember my dream last night.  i was coaching Hanson and all i remember is that he had huge teeth.  That's gotta be a good sign

5 minutes ago, ramit said:

Thanks, now i remember my dream last night.  i was coaching Hanson and all i remember is that he had huge teeth.  That's gotta be a good sign

You dreamt about a 21 year old young man? 

1 hour ago, valleyram said:

Here if ur happy beating Barnsley at home things are worse than I thought 

Why wouldn't be happy with beating a team above us in the league with the second best away form in the division?

Comments like this make you look silly I'm afraid.

Just got back home. Was disappointed to see neither Hughes or Butters starting but I suppose we needed to shake it up a bit. First half we were lucky not to be behind, Barnsley were all over us like a rash and we were second best in centre midfield. We improved towards half time though. 

Butters came on and the team as a unit were much more cohesive and impressive. Unfortunate to go behind but our class told as we put two of a handful of great opportunities away. Not sure how Barnsley escaped once or twice when Ince hit the post and then Hughes should have scored as Butters laid him in. 

Barnsley threw everything at it last ten minutes and could have got a point which they'll probably feel they deserved. But I reckon we warranted the win. 

I thought Johnson was immense second half, Russell and Ince effective and happy to see Nugent get the goal his hard work merited. 

Sorry for not criticising any players, Mac or devaluing the victory. Quiet in here tonight... a few 'regulars' missing. :ph34r::lol:

Had to work today so just catching up. Stats suggest that the game was a humdinger with loads of shots. 

Good to read that we're taking some positive steps. Not to get ahead of ourselves but hopefully our slide has been arrested. 

Hopefully de sart will come good as he seems to be the technical type of midfield playmaker that mac likes. Good to hear that nuge is having a positive influence also.

On to Tuesday and I am going to have to rethink my negative predictions. :thumbsup:

Just got home... A win today was massive, I don't really care who the opposition was..

First half was patchy and we were lucky to be in the game at the break. Thought Bar nes ley were pretty solid.

Second half much better shape and much more of a threat. Nugents work rate was massive today and a real highlight..MOTM.

Plenty of gobby Barnsley out and about as well :thumbsup:

Cant make Preston in midweek but will be at Brighton and looking forward to it. COYR.

After losing six of our previous ten and three of our last four, that is a welcome result, especially given the experimental nature of the side.

But it won't count for very much if we don't build on it on Tuesday with another positive performance and result.

The top six is a bridge too far. But we still have to aim to finish as strongly and in as high a position as we possibly can.

With a strong and respectable finish, that momentum and confidence could well carry through to next season for those players who will still be here and it transmits to the fans too.

I think we are willing to give McClaren time and the summer will be most telling in terms of where we are headed.

The key now is to show something - the cliched green shoots of recovery, if you will - so let's hope today was a sign of better days ahead.

Another winning run would be most welcome.

Russell man of the match by me followed by Nugent then ince...

Russell caused then endless problems running  into their box and one of his shots on goal,a lovely looping effort was just tipped over as it headed in.

Nugent worked his arse off,chased every ball and had the killer instinct in the box when required...

Ince,is just ince...Worked hard and once you give him a sniff he will score

I haven't seen the stats but Ince hit the post, Johnny had one tipped over and another one was cleared off the line.

add in the blocked shots, the skewed ones and those deflected off target and it was an entertaining, competitive afternoon. 

The huge difference in "feel good" from a spectators POV was we actually competed and fought for the ball when we didn't have it. It's work in progress and we will need to do more against better sides to get a similar result but today the attitude was better particularly in the middle of the park and upfront where Nugent battled his opponent at every opportunity. Rather than stand off waiting for the ball to come to him. Johnson was all over the pitch stretching to get balls out from Barnsley feet. 

Feel much happier tonight but the trick is going to be carrying that through to the next game.

Archived