Derby Vs Barnsley

rynny

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
Just now, TuffLuff said:

Quite like that formation to be honest, even in the first 30 minutes I thought we looked better. Once the little partnerships started to appear on the pitch we started getting the pace up and finally had some edge. Nugent was supurb, but my overall motm was Johnson. 

I liked Nugent and Vydra starting although Nugent looked tired at the end . Enjoyed the win Barnsley on top first 25 mins then all derby . So Barnsley goal was actually against the run of play and was glad we hit back straightaway .

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I liked Nugent and Vydra starting although Nugent looked tired at the end . Enjoyed the win Barnsley on top first 25 mins then all derby . So Barnsley goal was actually against the run of play and was glad we hit back straightaway .

Players like Johnson and Nugent have tons of character, if you watch Nugent he's constantly chirping at people and trying to put defenders off. We've missed that. Was really impressed with Vydra intelligence at times, links up nicely with players but Nugent making the ball stick upfront makes a massive difference for that.

Bit scrappy at times but a lot more fight and determination. Well done lads. Gave me a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon. 

At the back :

Carson a good goalie but jees I wish he'd get the ball out quicker. He did it once and we almost blew a hole in them via JR. Learn man learn ! Pearce was not his usual self for the first 30 minutes. Too slow picking passes but sorted himself out as the game progressed. Baird solid. Olson not as agressive as he has been and for me was out of position too often. Christie .. Well he was Cyrus .. Some good moments and then the lapses and bad decisions. In the second half when he realised their LB was frightened of him we made more progress. We need Obama on the sidelines saying to him "yes you can" 

In the middle: De Saart. Intelligent lad but really lacking in physicality. Johnson .. Excellent game. He has grit and strength that is missing in too many of our players. Broke things up, met them head on. BUtterfield. has the vision and can pass but needs to be quicker. I want to like him but he pulls out of tackles and isn't grunty enough IMO. 

Russell .. Best game for a long time, direct and full of guts. Vydra .. Would have preferred him closer to Nugent, a bit out of place on the left but put in a good days work and some nice touches. Anya looked effective when he came on. He can keep the ball well when he has it at his feet. Ince, the Talisman. Well played as usual but think I prefer him on the right. 

NUuuuugent !  ... MOTM .... He was knackered by the end, ran his bits off and looked really really good. Deserved that goal and boy did he love getting it 

Enjoyed 2nd half. Won that game in midfield, Johnson played well. That front four will flourish and fire when they get used to playing together for a few games 

Took us about 20 minutes to get used to the new system but when we did it looked good . Front fours movement was pleasing , looked better with Butterfield controlling the tempo of the game instead of de Sart.  Johnson was MOTM for me today , passing was good , was good in the air and good in the tackle , nice physical presence in the middle. 

I wonder if Mac hasn't for the most part accepted that the pay off slots are a long shot and used today to experiment a little. I'd love to see Vydra playing off Nugent with Ince and Russell on the flanks as I've a hunch there'd be goals in that formation. It sounds as if Nugent is still getting back to full fitness - it's only his second start since September so he's probably going to need a few more games to get to peak performance and that's definitely something I'm looking forward to. He's a savvy player and I think he gives us a lot of options for those concerned about us not having a plan B.

As for Will, I think he's looking leggy but he hasn't suddenly become a bad player. We should mind him well with an eye firmly on a big push next season. He's still a game-changer when he's fit and on his mettle.

Will be sinking a few pints tonight and they'll taste that much sweeter for the win.

COYR

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm sure the weather has just messed up their Internet connection. 

Any minute now a load of happy fans are going to balance up the negativity a bit. 

Here if ur happy beating Barnsley at home things are worse than I thought 

3 minutes ago, valleyram said:

3 minutes ago, valleyram said:

So we shouldn't be happy when we win? Just because you're not

11 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Well obviously we're happy we won, should we not be? I presume you consider this a game we should definitely be winning, if so why wouldn't we be happy? I'd be happy if we beat Man Utd at home or Mansfield at home.

It's also worth noting that Barnsley were above us in the league as well, so not exactly a banker. Did it take you over an hour after the game finished to think up something negative that you could post after a win?

Just got back, much much better today. Wasn't going to go as I was fed up of mcclarens lack of adaptability but once I saw that lineup I went straight out and got tickets, knew we were in for a much better spectacle. I've been banging on about switching to a 4231 and having Nugent and vydra playing together, thank god we finally saw it today, and boy did a pay off!

We created an absolute boatload of chances against what was a good Barnsley side, especially Matty James, he's one hell of a player, which we'd have signed him. Thought the front 4 all linked up excellently, it was the quick football between those 4 that was the main reason behind our victory today.

Ince got my MOM for absolutely running his arse off and constantly posing a threat, but Russell was also brilliant and added a lot of pace and energy, seemed much more confident than recently. Special mention to Nugent, who despite just coming back from injury battled for the entire game and it was a lot of his quiet work in the background that ensured our victory. Vydra also showed his intelligence, he knows what he's doing before the ball reaches him which is excellent, and played some brilliant balls at times. Still think he'd be better in the whole, but the more he plays in that formation the better he'll get imo, same for the rest of the attack.

That being said, the two midfielders still need a bit of work, Johnson was good and battled well, but feel we'd have been better with Hughes next to him. De sart struggled to win the ball, especially once he'd taken that knock, butterfield was better but still a little slow for my liking. Other than that though, we must persist with this formation and get it perfected, it's much more efficient in creating chances, keep a consistent front 4 and they'll build good partnerships. Need some centre halfs back fast tho, Pearce was woeful today, however he did have a lot of responsibility so he can be excused a little. 

The formation didn't make a massive difference but it helped to get a second striker active, and nugent was a big improvement.

Pleased to see vydra involved. He played his usual game. The huge praise today is in strange contrast to previous criticism. Predicted 2-0 at the game with nugent or vydra and ince to score, so will happily take the win. 

Schteve, rush, and keogh (in the stand) all looked slightly bronzed as if they'd been away?

Archived