Derby Vs Barnsley

rynny

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

After losing six of our previous ten and three of our last four, that is a welcome result, especially given the experimental nature of the side.

But it won't count for very much if we don't build on it on Tuesday with another positive performance and result.

The top six is a bridge too far. But we still have to aim to finish as strongly and in as high a position as we possibly can.

With a strong and respectable finish, that momentum and confidence could well carry through to next season for those players who will still be here and it transmits to the fans too.

I think we are willing to give McClaren time and the summer will be most telling in terms of where we are headed.

The key now is to show something - the cliched green shoots of recovery, if you will - so let's hope today was a sign of better days ahead.

Another winning run would be most welcome.

Agree, and with today's win it gives us that bit more breathing space. I honestly hope Maclaren keeps experimenting. He doesn't know all these players and how they combine in to a blend that best suits them as a unit, this is so very important. When you are competing for something or trying to save yourself then there isn't much incentive to "try things" because the risk is higher ...but where we are now is a golden opportunity to tinker around and learn something. 

Second half was best performance in weeks. De Sart going off was key, he had his chance today with Johnson doing his defensive work and he didn't deliver. Will probably go on to have a good career but he's not right for Derby at this time. Butterfield did well when he came on but isn't the long-term answer, but deserved a chance due to Hughes poor form.

Front 4 were awesome second half, Ince had his mojo back, Vydra looked threatening, Russell had his best game this season and Nugent's running, movement and link up play brought out the best in Vydra and Russell. Excellent game.

However my MoM was Johnson. Took responsibility from minute one, won every first and second ball giving us a platform to play, exactly how he played in our 10 match unbeaten run, need him to continue it for remainder of the season.

3 hours ago, LazloW said:

This is one of the strangest comments I've ever seen on here (amidst a lot of strange comments). Why wouldn't you be happy after winning a match?

However, I think it belies a more worrying trend of the modern fan. We expect to beat Barnsley and thus beating them should only illicit a shrug of the shoulders and a 'well, you did what you were supposed to do, do you want a f****** medal!?' I sometimes think that's why the atmos at home is sometimes a bit flat too. 

Anyway, I'm happy. The team I support won. I thought that was the point of being a fan.

Pfft. A typically simplistic outlook if you ask me! ;)

So pleased to see Nugent in the side instead of Bent giving us way better balance, then McCLaren spoils it by getting them to play that ridiculous long ball game. We must have pumped 15 of these long balls forward and won precisely zero of them; no wonder he took the creative players out of the midfield; they were surplus to requirements. It was only when we started passing the ball and keeping it on our lovely grass that we created any threat. Good win but very disappointing tactics for a while until sense prevailed.

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

So pleased to see Nugent in the side instead of Bent giving us way better balance, then McCLaren spoils it by getting them to play that ridiculous long ball game. We must have pumped 15 of these long balls forward and won precisely zero of them; no wonder he took the creative players out of the midfield; they were surplus to requirements. It was only when we started passing the ball and keeping it on our lovely grass that we created any threat. Good win but very disappointing tactics for a while until sense prevailed.

During the great winning run we weren't aesthetically pleasing. Fans were moaning about it. Even though we were winning. Personally, I'll take victories however they arrive. If they come with eye-catching football, all the better. 

Interested to see the team selection Tuesday.

So I couldn't go to the game as I'm about 1000 miles away right now and I was busy on a date so I couldn't listen to more than 5 minutes on the radio...

Can someone let me know how Vydra played today?? Keep hearing he linked up with well Nugent and we didn't miss the non-existent linkup play of Bent?

4 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

So I couldn't go to the game as I'm about 1000 miles away right now and I was busy on a date so I couldn't listen to more than 5 minutes on the radio...

Can someone let me know how Vydra played today?? Keep hearing he linked up with well Nugent and we didn't miss the non-existent linkup play of Bent?

He linked ok. Worked hard. Hope he gets a run of games.

10 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Wasn't given the ball a huge amount, but made good movements and when he did get the ball he moved it quickly and with purpose. Will be better in the hole and with a run of games

I thought it was an entertaining game. Barnsley worked their socks off and played well, they are a decent side. 

All the Derby players played well. Russell, Vydra, Nugent, Ince looked sharp, and Baird showed his experience in the last 10 mins with some great clearances. Brilliant reaction to the past 3 weeks. Praise to Christie as well. 

My only gripe.........in the fist 20 mins every time someone misplaced a pass the reaction of some of the crowd was terrible. Get behind the team, don't play the village idiot. And for God's sake, please stop shouting "shoot" when a Derby player crosses the halfway line.....

On to Tuesday. COYR

So........finally........please! .....can we all now accept that we are a better unit with Butterfield in the team and move on!

He is clearly the best of our current crop of options!!!

Scapegoaters, look elsewhere for your target to moan at, or better still eff off all together!!!

to Hell with this madness!!!!

47 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

So........finally........please! .....can we all now accept that we are a better unit with Butterfield in the team and move on!

Scapegoaters, look elsewhere for your target to moan at, or better still eff off all together!!!

He looked excellent today...

8 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So much better today, effort, fight and some attacking prowess. Thought Nugent was excellent, his work rate was unbelievable. Johnson proves what a asset he can be, best I've seen Russel play in a while he actually went at the opposition. Ince as he has been all season was great, and his work rate was up there with Nugent today. Only slight on our performance for me was Mr De Sart again, sorry but this kid isn't the answer, I read on here he technically gifted with great passing skills? I'm to be convinced, would rather have Hanson in the team than him. 

He was excellent going forwards today, clearly a gifted technical player, his issue was going backwards, he's a liability when defending. I still prefer him to Butterfield though Butters was much better today. De Sart suits that role in a 2, needs to bulk up a little first though.

6 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I thought it was an entertaining game. Barnsley worked their socks off and played well, they are a decent side. 

All the Derby players played well. Russell, Vydra, Nugent, Ince looked sharp, and Baird showed his experience in the last 10 mins with some great clearances. Brilliant reaction to the past 3 weeks. Praise to Christie as well. 

My only gripe.........in the fist 20 mins every time someone misplaced a pass the reaction of some of the crowd was terrible. Get behind the team, don't play the village idiot. And for God's sake, please stop shouting "shoot" when a Derby player crosses the halfway line.....

On to Tuesday. COYR

The shouting to shoot is akin to the wallys that feel the need to shout "get in the hole" whenever a golfer tees off. Hopefully it's disappearing out of the game.

On a side note, did anyone notice the size of Elliott Lee when he came on?

He looked like a pub player who'd won a competition!

Lots of respect for Barnsley - it was refreshing to see a team come with the intention of winning rather than just strangling the game and time wasting.

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Second half was best performance in weeks. De Sart going off was key, he had his chance today with Johnson doing his defensive work and he didn't deliver. Will probably go on to have a good career but he's not right for Derby at this time. Butterfield did well when he came on but isn't the long-term answer, but deserved a chance due to Hughes poor form.

Front 4 were awesome second half, Ince had his mojo back, Vydra looked threatening, Russell had his best game this season and Nugent's running, movement and link up play brought out the best in Vydra and Russell. Excellent game.

However my MoM was Johnson. Took responsibility from minute one, won every first and second ball giving us a platform to play, exactly how he played in our 10 match unbeaten run, need him to continue it for remainder of the season.

Have to agree about DeSart.. A real shame as after the WBA game I thought we had a player but not at this level.

Needs to play where he has more time on the ball.. Not in the Championship..

9 hours ago, The Arch Deacon said:

8 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He looked excellent today...

Blokes behind me "ooh it's backwards Butterfield" every time he was near the ball.

Like when Carson gives it him and he's under pressure should he be turning and attempting to dribble past their two attackers? No he should be playing it to a fullback and then moving into space. That's what people who don't play football don't understand as out Butterfield. 

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

After losing six of our previous ten and three of our last four, that is a welcome result, especially given the experimental nature of the side.

But it won't count for very much if we don't build on it on Tuesday with another positive performance and result.

The top six is a bridge too far. But we still have to aim to finish as strongly and in as high a position as we possibly can.

With a strong and respectable finish, that momentum and confidence could well carry through to next season for those players who will still be here and it transmits to the fans too.

I think we are willing to give McClaren time and the summer will be most telling in terms of where we are headed.

The key now is to show something - the cliched green shoots of recovery, if you will - so let's hope today was a sign of better days ahead.

Another winning run would be most welcome.

I think realistically our aim should be top 8. We need to gain 4/5 points on those above us by the end of the season. That's a realistic target and it shows intent for next year!

9 hours ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Agree, we have a number of good footballing options in midfield and butters is one, personally i have never had a problem with him.  The problem we have is the lack of strength in that area, somebody who gets the ball and runs at the defence and who has the strength of a lion

17 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think realistically our aim should be top 8. We need to gain 4/5 points on those above us by the end of the season. That's a realistic target and it shows intent for next year!

The Brighton game is key to our season or should be. We could make a late run into the play offs and others are still to have their bad run and they will have them.  We do need to go on a good run until the end of the season. There is always a team that builds up a head of steam and gate crashes the party, why shouldn't that be the Rams

Archived