which PREVIOUS Rams players to you despise most? *sponsored by SRG

Mostyn6

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

How can anyone despise Savage? Whether or not you think he was very effective, he busted his balls for Derby and was a leader at a time when we very easily could have been relegated. 

You see busting his balls, I see running around like a headless chicken chasing shadows.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is all in the name of fun, a bit of light hearted humour. Obviously most did not despise these players, it is a harsh word, but it is there for the effect and the humour.

As @Mostyn6 said,

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

If you don't have answers, don't moan, just go away and talk on other threads, thanks

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Note sure anyone can use the word despise against any player willing to wear the shirt.

I can understand if people have issues with former players, but despise?

They should be honoured to wear the shirt!!!!!!

Despise, maybe but agree with @eddie, HATE......... need some context (always telling the kids this when they 'hate' everything they don't want to do/eat at a particular time), probably just dislike.

As others have gone off thread and quoted non players.....

Billy Davies

3 Amigo's

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

David Speedie - he dived a lot, in an era when no one else did it, he was the biggest whinger and cheater of his era.

I played against his son a few times in youth football. He was a chip off the old block. Speedie's whinging was just as vociferous from the touchline.

I can't really think of any ex-player I have hated, unless they have left under disappointing circumstances I always follow their career and wanted them to do well.

One player I am surprised hasn't been mentioned by others is Paul Williams - didn't he force a move when we were relegated in 1991?

ps I have always loved Danny Higginbottom, good committed player and one me a few first goal prizes at 25/1 during his last season with us.

Steve Cherry for me, not for letting in a goal direct from a corner, we'd never had the replay without his great save at Plymouth. No, when he went to Walsall, more than once he was less than complimentary about Derby in the local press down here in Brum.

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

this is just a list of people that were rubbish. 

Jonathan Hunt should be remembered for his last minute winner v Middlesbrough. The same game where Wanchope got sent off for taking a swing at Andy Townsend. 

And Mikkel Beck scored. For them. 

Wasn't it an overhead kick? 

Or has my memory made it better than the reality

I will take the risk that eddie will think me intellectually ineffective and, much worse, a half fan, but I have only ever loathed, despised and hated one player that has pulled on a Derby shirt. Mick Coop.

Signed from Coventry, a right back that played for England he was probably past his best when he played for us. That did not though give him the excuse to put in no effort, to show game after game that he couldn't be bothered and didn't want to play for us. Uselessness I can accept - and have seen a fair amount of over the years - but plain not trying (as opposed to giving up when the cause is gone) I have only seen practiced by Mr Coop. May he rot.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

How could anyone dislike Trevor Hebberd? Great midfielder and how I loved that 30 yarder he blasted in on his debut. I agree it's hard to really despise any former players. I always despised Tommy Docherty for dismantling our wonderful team to replace it with utter dross.

The ex players I disliked and was appalled to ever see them near our club were:

• Martin Kuhl (just a thug)
  • Nathan Tyson (the most idiotic signing of recent times)
  • Derek Hales (because he was no Kevin Hector)
  • Jay McEveley (it was as if he'd never seen a football match before he came to Derby. Never have I seen a player brought for one attribute, athleticism, who had zero clue how to actually play the game and cost us myriad points as a result)
  • Gary Teale (he was useless but more than that, in the away leg of the League Cup semifinal he was directly responsible for conceding all three first half goals that ended our hopes of going to the first cup final of my lifetime)

Derek Hales, now he was a pudding!

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Not a reason to despise him though. 

That isn't the reason. There have been 3 players in football that I have had a strong dislike for (as I said despise is too strong a word and was added for effect and not to be taken to heart)

Robbie Savage, always found him to be a controversialist wannabe, trying to be panto bad guy when he was more like the dame. His diving for the penalty here, celebrating it. Trying to be a hardman but hit the deck at every opportunity, the league cup final dive against Spurs, Dublin's head butt, when the ref "knocked him out". He had very little football ability, in his prime and even less when he was here. He annoyed me when he was here, with his constant charging down a keeper who had kicked the ball away about 5 seconds before hand and left us open in the middle of the pitch, that stupid over the shoulder clearance at throw ins that always went to the opposition, the stupid songs he was putting up, the scarf waving, the sitter he missed at West Ham, possibly one of the worse misses I have seen, almost on par with Kanu's at WBA.

The other 2 are Neil Lennon and Joey Barton.

My choice for an ex Ram footballer is Paul Kitson , good player but his attitude stank , always preferred Marco , but the person i have probably disliked the most with a Rams connection must be Phil Brown , what was he all about with his stupid comments , ridiculous hair and perma tan , grow up man for god sake

For me, the whole squad of 07-08. ONE win, ONE!

I may have anger-tinted glasses on looking back, but I can't remember a game where there was any effort put in by them, the management, the board. The whole club just seemed to shrug it's shoulders at the situation and go "who gives a ***t?". 

I can't think back to any of those players without a slight bit of resentment toward them. 

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

but I can't remember a game where there was any effort put in by them

Newcastle H, Newcastle A, Fulham H, Fulham A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H, Portsmouth H, Liverpool H, Bolton H, Sunderland H and Man City H, and arguably Everton away, plenty of effort in all of these games.

Do not confuse effort with ability. People find it easy, but the likes of Darren Moore and Eddie Lewis, regardless of quality, both tried their hardest that season, I can never say a bad word about either when it comes to commitment.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Newcastle H, Newcastle A, Fulham H, Fulham A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H, Portsmouth H, Liverpool H, Bolton H, Sunderland H and Man City H, and arguably Everton away, plenty of effort in all of these games.

Do not confuse effort with ability. People find it easy, but the likes of Darren Moore and Eddie Lewis, regardless of quality, both tried their hardest that season, I can never say a bad word about either when it comes to commitment.

Like I said, I think I've got the opposite of rose-tinted specs on when I remember that season. I was only a yoof at 21. 

37 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm a bit surprised by the sav hate, not very good, annoying character, but kind of honest and played a year for free. 

Lol at your idea of honesty. As for played a year for free, no he didn't he was paid an amount for two years whereas it was originally over one, I think was the way it worked. So actually it probably worked out better for him and us.

Archived