which PREVIOUS Rams players to you despise most? *sponsored by SRG

Mostyn6

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is quite heartening that so many ex players still hold he club in warm regard and especially the fans. 

Despise is a strong word but some players have only been for the money, not given their all and left and spoken badly about us so I understand fans disliking them. 

Kenny Burns winds me up just because he does it to get in with the Red Dogs. 

But number one on my list for the mess they helped make at the club and their lack of real effort while here, and also the legacy of crippling payments we were left with to continue to pay them was Ravenelli. Surprising I'm sure to some, but for what we paid him, and continued to pay him he was the architipycal mercenary and it screwed us over for a long long time. 

• Robbie Savage - conned a living, fooled many clueless fans with his chasing lost causes, whilst not really influencing anything.
  • John Gregory - more for his reign as manager, had the club's pants down and thought he was better than he was.
  • Martin Albrechtsen - Any love I have for Nigel Clough is because he saw what I saw in Albrechtsen. Weak, uncommitted, lazy.
  • Luke Varney - Oh dear god. Thankfully he hardly played. So clueless.
  • Paul Connolly - captain? full back? He turned his back on almost everything, was he scared of the football?

40 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Rob Earnshaw. Far and away. Not because he went to forest, but for how he  behaved during that season and how happy he was to bang on about gating it/us. 

Apart from him, no, distain for some, but no malice. 

I had the misfortune to be working in Norwich when Earnshaw first signed for them. He was put up in the same hotel I was staying at - couldn't believe the arrogance of the guy - he had a huge Humvee which he frequently parked on the yellow lines directly outside reception - though only when his favoured parking spaces (the disabled bays) were full. There were a few other Norwich players staying there at the same time who were fine, but Earnshaw thought he was Billy-Big-******** and came across as a complete **** - as you can guess, I was delighted when we signed him (not!).

Despite that, my least favourite ex-player by a country mile is Savage - I just dislike everything about the clown....

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:
  • Paul Connolly - captain? full back? He turned his back on almost everything, was he scared of the football?

I quite like Connolly. He was an honest pro that always tried his best. He's one of those players who gives us Sunday league players hope because when you watched him you could imagine that you could still get a professional contract if a scout stumbled across you having a half decent game one morning when you weren't too hung over. I'll never forget the game against Sheffield United where he managed to make David Cotterill look like Garrincha.

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

How can anyone despise Savage? Whether or not you think he was very effective, he busted his balls for Derby and was a leader at a time when we very easily could have been relegated. 

Ha haha haha ha ha, Yeah right. Savage = total tosser, took the money and took us for a ride. Which has been done before but not by such an obnoxious excuse for a footballer as Savage was.

Kenny Burns - Fat, illiterate, c***, Forest

Daddy's Boy Camp - Arrogant, mardy, Forest, s*** attempt at a beard

Kenny Miller - Epitomises everything that was wrong with THAT season, looks like my Mrs' cocky nephew who decided to have a fight at our wedding

Rob Earnshaw - Ugly, Forest, Baggie, god awful goal celebration

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

How can anyone despise Savage? Whether or not you think he was very effective, he busted his balls for Derby and was a leader at a time when we very easily could have been relegated. 

did he? did he really? or was you one of those easily suckered by him sprinting towards the oppo goalkeeper, when he had zero chance of getting the ball, but receiving applause for his efforts, whilst spending the next 10 minutes blowing bubbles whilst the opposition midfield ran rings around Bailey (or whoever else was partner in CM).

It never surprised me that 9 times out of 10 games, the man of the match was the opposing central midfielder, such was the level of ineffectiveness that Savage's shadow-chasing and ankle tapping histrionics had on the game! Also, "Leader"?? really? What exactly did he lead us to? He had one good game, and he didn't even have a good game then, it was Taraabt having a stinker!

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Despise is a strong word. Life's too short to despise anyone who played football for a living just because they happened to play for your club.

But I ******* hated Trevor Hebberd.

How could anyone dislike Trevor Hebberd? Great midfielder and how I loved that 30 yarder he blasted in on his debut. I agree it's hard to really despise any former players. I always despised Tommy Docherty for dismantling our wonderful team to replace it with utter dross.

The ex players I disliked and was appalled to ever see them near our club were:

• Martin Kuhl (just a thug)
  • Nathan Tyson (the most idiotic signing of recent times)
  • Derek Hales (because he was no Kevin Hector)
  • Jay McEveley (it was as if he'd never seen a football match before he came to Derby. Never have I seen a player brought for one attribute, athleticism, who had zero clue how to actually play the game and cost us myriad points as a result)
  • Gary Teale (he was useless but more than that, in the away leg of the League Cup semifinal he was directly responsible for conceding all three first half goals that ended our hopes of going to the first cup final of my lifetime)

I find this thread a very strange one.

There is no one who has played for us that I despise. I tend to reserve my despisation (which probably isnt a word) for players of other teams. There are players like savage who i hated before he came here, but when he was here, he was one of my favourites in a team of very ordinary players like theo robinson and ben davies who were never solid championship players.

I really dispised mcclaren after he went to newcastle because I still feel he and his agent worked with the press to try get that move to Newcastle, and I didnt like Pearson before he came here, and his refusal to change his approach with bad results, means i still dont like him. But cant say i think that about any ex players..

Infact getting at ex players for some pretty poor reasons, is something i dont get involved with. I dont see the point in getting shirty about a player who gave us his all, and then ends up at Forest. So what. I have no good reason to despise camp, Earnshaw, Collymore. Infact I dont get it when certain players receive over the top abuse.

Diof the dirty spitter.

Joey Barton, for obvious reasons being a thug, talking crap, punching players when he is being sent off etc

David Speedie - he dived a lot, in an era when no one else did it, he was the biggest whinger and cheater of his era.

savage pre derby, for constant winding up of opposition players and his dive, then celebrating winning a penalty after conning the ref.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

How could anyone dislike Trevor Hebberd? Great midfielder and how I loved that 30 yarder he blasted in on his debut. I agree it's hard to really despise any former players. I always despised Tommy Docherty for dismantling our wonderful team to replace it with utter dross.

Martin Kuhl (just a thug)

Nathan Tyson (the most idiotic signing of recent times)

Derek Hales (because he was no Kevin Hector)

Jay McEveley (it was as if he'd never seen a football match before he came to Derby. Never have I seen a player brought for one attribute, athleticism, who had zero clue how to actually play the game and cost us myriad points as a result)

Gary Teale (he was useless but more than that, in the away leg of the League Cup semifinal he was directly responsible for conceding all three first half goals that ended our hopes of going to the first cup final of my lifetime)

didnt think much of Teale, tyson, or mceveley after they left us. but I just cant say i can despise them. far too stronger word. I reserve this word for managers like Pearson and Warnock,

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

• Martin Kuhl (just a thug)
  • Nathan Tyson (the most idiotic signing of recent times)
  • Derek Hales (because he was no Kevin Hector)
  • Jay McEveley (it was as if he'd never seen a football match before he came to Derby. Never have I seen a player brought for one attribute, athleticism, who had zero clue how to actually play the game and cost us myriad points as a result)
  • Gary Teale (he was useless but more than that, in the away leg of the League Cup semifinal he was directly responsible for conceding all three first half goals that ended our hopes of going to the first cup final of my lifetime)

His hair. That's all it was.

I think we are confusing players who were just crap with those that supporters have a genuine dislike for (perhaps 'despise' is a bit strong) - there are dozens that have been poor/atrocious footballers when they pulled on a Rams shirt, then there are 'the others' who for one reason or another were seen as not giving a monkey's; taking us for a ride; generally unpleasant characters; etc....though there's actually a third category such as Burns, who was quite well liked when he played for us, but is now doing his best to utterly hated by Rams fans....

Archived