which PREVIOUS Rams players to you despise most? *sponsored by SRG

Mostyn6

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Newcastle H, Newcastle A, Fulham H, Fulham A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H, Portsmouth H, Liverpool H, Bolton H, Sunderland H and Man City H, and arguably Everton away, plenty of effort in all of these games.

Do not confuse effort with ability. People find it easy, but the likes of Darren Moore and Eddie Lewis, regardless of quality, both tried their hardest that season, I can never say a bad word about either when it comes to commitment.

Would add West Ham away to that as well.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

this is just a list of people that were rubbish. 

Jonathan Hunt should be remembered for his last minute winner v Middlesbrough. The same game where Wanchope got sent off for taking a swing at Andy Townsend. 

And Mikkel Beck scored. For them. 

My ultimate football fantasy - scoring a last minute winner for the Rams and tw@tting Andy Townsend!

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol at your idea of honesty. As for played a year for free, no he didn't he was paid an amount for two years whereas it was originally over one, I think was the way it worked. So actually it probably worked out better for him and us.

but written into his contract that he had to play when fit, which meant he got his appearance bonus and made him undroppable and cost more to the club in the long run. Although he was shaken (apparently) when word got out about his clause to play, so he stepped aside for a game!

31 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Newcastle H, Newcastle A, Fulham H, Fulham A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H, Portsmouth H, Liverpool H, Bolton H, Sunderland H and Man City H, and arguably Everton away, plenty of effort in all of these games.

Do not confuse effort with ability. People find it easy, but the likes of Darren Moore and Eddie Lewis, regardless of quality, both tried their hardest that season, I can never say a bad word about either when it comes to commitment.

I can say a bad word about Eddie Lewis, simply because he's Eddie Lewis.  Eddie F***in' Lewis, at left back!!!  That entire season was some sought of cosmic joke...

As this thread has been revived I'll add to.

Not being a Derby fan for long I think I can safely say that Robbie Savage does my nut in. I just find him obnoxious, annoying and his voice gets on my nerves. He's just one of those pundits now where I just have to switch off whilst he's on the telly or radio.

Savage is probably a legend amongst Rams fans I would presume therefore my comments won't go down well. Just my opinion from a non Rams fan at the time so I guess I can be excused.:whistle:

The other player I remember from watching Derby when they were in the Prem was that centre half with the bandana. Was it Leacock or Mears or someone like that? Forgot now.

Everytime I saw him he was absolutely atrocious. All over the shop. I just wondered how the hell is this guy a pro footballer. Got to be one of the worst defenders i think I've ever seen and I've seen a few lower league equines.

7 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

As this thread has been revived I'll add to.

Not being a Derby fan for long I think I can safely say that Robbie Savage does my nut in. I just find him obnoxious, annoying and his voice gets on my nerves. He's just one of those pundits now where I just have to switch off whilst he's on the telly or radio.

Savage is probably a legend amongst Rams fans I would presume therefore my comments won't go down well. Just my opinion from a non Rams fan at the time so I guess I can be excused.:whistle:

The other player I remember from watching Derby when they were in the Prem was that centre half with the bandana. Was it Leacock or Mears or someone like that? Forgot now.

Everytime I saw him he was absolutely atrocious. All over the shop. I just wondered how the hell is this guy a pro footballer. Got to be one of the worst defenders i think I've ever seen and I've seen a few lower league equines.

He's not.

He's really, really, really not.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol at your idea of honesty. As for played a year for free, no he didn't he was paid an amount for two years whereas it was originally over one, I think was the way it worked. So actually it probably worked out better for him and us.

So in effect, by playing two years at half rate when he was entitled to one year at full rate, is the same as playing a year for free. 

Lol at me if you want, I don't think savage was a particularly good player or signing, but I do think he was honestly rubbish. 

57 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but written into his contract that he had to play when fit, which meant he got his appearance bonus and made him undroppable and cost more to the club in the long run. Although he was shaken (apparently) when word got out about his clause to play, so he stepped aside for a game!

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So in effect, by playing two years at half rate when he was entitled to one year at full rate, is the same as playing a year for free. 

Not if what @Mostyn6 says is right, nor of course for tax purposes is it the same.

10 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Surprised me that. Anyone want to elaborate for an outsider?

IMO, I don't know anyone who does see him as a legend for this club. It's like another poster said (I can't remember if this topic or another) he had one memorable/outstanding game for us (which I believe was vs QPR where he kept an in-form Taraabt quiet all match). 

He ran around a lot, and p****d the opposition off, which is his game and some fans may like him for that, but I don't know who class him as a legend. 

9 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Surprised me that. Anyone want to elaborate for an outsider?

Even those of us who don't mind Savage just see him as a reasonable championship level midfielder. Let's be honest the guy was never a game changer, even in his heyday, and was most certainly winding down by the time he arrived at Derby. There are plenty who still despise him because of his personality, diving, Leicester connection etc..., but most think he did ok. Never even close to legendary status though. If you can find a single Derby fan who thinks otherwise they want their head checking. I know we haven't exactly got the most auspicious recent history, but I still expect more than a couple of seasons slogging it out in the lower mid table of the 2nd tier to achieve legendary status.

5 hours ago, rynny said:
  1. Robbie Savage
  2. Robbie Savage
  3. Robbie Savage
  4. Robbie Savage
  5. Robbie Savage

5 hours ago, irobinson said:

Burns and Savage

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:
  • Robbie Savage - conned a living, fooled many clueless fans with his chasing lost causes, whilst not really influencing anything.
  • John Gregory - more for his reign as manager, had the club's pants down and thought he was better than he was.
  • Martin Albrechtsen - Any love I have for Nigel Clough is because he saw what I saw in Albrechtsen. Weak, uncommitted, lazy.
  • Luke Varney - Oh dear god. Thankfully he hardly played. So clueless.
  • Paul Connolly - captain? full back? He turned his back on almost everything, was he scared of the football?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ha haha haha ha ha, Yeah right. Savage = total tosser, took the money and took us for a ride. Which has been done before but not by such an obnoxious excuse for a footballer as Savage was.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

did he? did he really? or was you one of those easily suckered by him sprinting towards the oppo goalkeeper, when he had zero chance of getting the ball, but receiving applause for his efforts, whilst spending the next 10 minutes blowing bubbles whilst the opposition midfield ran rings around Bailey (or whoever else was partner in CM).

It never surprised me that 9 times out of 10 games, the man of the match was the opposing central midfielder, such was the level of ineffectiveness that Savage's shadow-chasing and ankle tapping histrionics had on the game! Also, "Leader"?? really? What exactly did he lead us to? He had one good game, and he didn't even have a good game then, it was Taraabt having a stinker!

3 hours ago, rynny said:

You see busting his balls, I see running around like a headless chicken chasing shadows.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

His attitude to the game, other players and fans is though.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

That isn't the reason. There have been 3 players in football that I have had a strong dislike for (as I said despise is too strong a word and was added for effect and not to be taken to heart)

Robbie Savage, always found him to be a controversialist wannabe, trying to be panto bad guy when he was more like the dame. His diving for the penalty here, celebrating it. Trying to be a hardman but hit the deck at every opportunity, the league cup final dive against Spurs, Dublin's head butt, when the ref "knocked him out". He had very little football ability, in his prime and even less when he was here. He annoyed me when he was here, with his constant charging down a keeper who had kicked the ball away about 5 seconds before hand and left us open in the middle of the pitch, that stupid over the shoulder clearance at throw ins that always went to the opposition, the stupid songs he was putting up, the scarf waving, the sitter he missed at West Ham, possibly one of the worse misses I have seen, almost on par with Kanu's at WBA.

The other 2 are Neil Lennon and Joey Barton.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would say these (mainly the same posters :lol:) agree with you @Tony Le Mesmer about Savage and why he wasn't revered by some Derby fans, I know @David likes him though :whistle:

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

did he? did he really? or was you one of those easily suckered by him sprinting towards the oppo goalkeeper, when he had zero chance of getting the ball, but receiving applause for his efforts, whilst spending the next 10 minutes blowing bubbles whilst the opposition midfield ran rings around Bailey (or whoever else was partner in CM).

It never surprised me that 9 times out of 10 games, the man of the match was the opposing central midfielder, such was the level of ineffectiveness that Savage's shadow-chasing and ankle tapping histrionics had on the game! Also, "Leader"?? really? What exactly did he lead us to? He had one good game, and he didn't even have a good game then, it was Taraabt having a stinker!

It's pretty patronising to just say "if you don't agree with my opinion on a player, you've obviously been fooled", like I'm an idiot who is easily decieved.

I wasn't fooled by the lost cause chasing, and no he wasn't all that quick at that age but I still thought he did the best job he could with his limitations. 

Archived