Mel Q&A with Marketing Derby

Day

Ive made it to two home games this year at the atmosphere really wasnt great, v Brighton on opening day it seemed some were itching to prove they knew better and get at it soon as they heard the team selection. Opening day is usually full of good will! 

Against Ipswich, it was better,but frustrated. There were boos at the end, but a lot applauded the team, because we were better that night. 

Against Cardiff, the atmosphere from the away fans was great. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ive made it to two home games this year at the atmosphere really wasnt great, v Brighton on opening day it seemed some were itching to prove they knew better and get at it soon as they heard the team selection. Opening day is usually full of good will! 

Against Ipswich, it was better,but frustrated. There were boos at the end, but a lot applauded the team, because we were better that night. 

I think frustration is a good word for the atmosphere at home. Got to admit I don't think the whole booing thing has been that big an issue (one thing we dcfc fans are really good at is making a mountain out of a molehill), but the general atmosphere hasn't been that great. I can't quite put my finger on why this was the case but Pearson did cause the team have this cold, almost robotic machine feel to it. I guess that with the added disappointment of previous seasons meant players had lost a bit of trust?

30 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think frustration is a good word for the atmosphere at home. Got to admit I don't think the whole booing thing has been that big an issue (one thing we dcfc fans are really good at is making a mountain out of a molehill), but the general atmosphere hasn't been that great. I can't quite put my finger on why this was the case but Pearson did cause the team have this cold, almost robotic machine feel to it. I guess that with the added disappointment of previous seasons meant players had lost a bit of trust?

When the captain of England is booed by so called supporters, it gives an indication of the mindset of certain people who attend football matches.

We've had four different managers take control of first-team proceedings since the start of 2016. We've also had a chairman go into the dressing room to berate the players. stories of drones, manager-chairman bust-ups and player revolts, a manager sacked when sitting fifth in the table and the club's best striker shipped out on deadline day on a whim.

Yet players are ultimately reluctant to come here due to a few hundred fans booing at half-time?

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yet players are ultimately reluctant to come here due to a few hundred fans booing at half-time?

Perhaps Mel has evidence of this? Otherwise you'd think it would have been easier not to say owt, especially after the Derby Way nonsense! Or maybe we all have to carry the can for failure!

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It was alright for the most part, but there were some absolute bellends there that night. One bloke in particular did nothing but shout abuse at Christie and Ince until another fan told him to support the team or leave. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Me neither, seems like a sly dig at the fans and let's be honest it's a small minority who boo.

Think I would have been tempted to say the fans are very reluctant to part with £25 to go and watch a team with no obvious plan playing out drab 0-0 matches without hardly any shots on target!

Maybe it was sly dig at that small minority which is fair enough IMO. If you're not one of the boo boys then it's not aimed at you. What's the problem? 

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

When he interviewed pearson.

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

In the summer 

I find this very disturbing. Recruiting, key part of any business, and he does it himself?

No wonder we have failed horribly with this. Hopefully he has learnt from this and leaves it to the professionals.

Otherwise, great time to come out. And talk about recruiting new manager in two weeks. Well, it'll take 13 days until Finnish league is over and Valakari is able to move... :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I find this very disturbing. Recruiting, key part of any business, and he does it himself?

No wonder we have failed horribly with this. Hopefully he has learnt from this and leaves it to the professionals.

Otherwise, great time to come out. And talk about recruiting new manager in two weeks. Well, it'll take 13 days until Finnish league is over and Valakari is able to move... :ph34r:

Is there an echo in here?

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

To be fair, the initial tweet didn't say that he himself had interviewed NP. More likely to be 2-3 people panel anyway.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Seems to be a perception on here that Derby fans are particularly prone to boo or not support their team. From what I've seen watching football at other clubs, Derby fans are nowhere near the worst for being demanding/getting on their teams' back. I've seen West Ham, Leeds, Forest, Sheff Weds fans heap some pretty dark abuse at their own teams/particular players - far worse than I've ever seen at Derby.

Yes, we'll have some entitled idiots who think that we're too big for the division or that because we've spent a few quid, we deserve to go up as Champions. These are the gloryhunters who stain every club & soon disappear once times get tough for a sustained period. 

I don't support booing of players/teams but we need to keep things in perspective & think its unfair of Mel to suggest we might be getting a reputation for it.

It's the fact that Derby fans have become more prone to voice their frustrations. The self-deprecation and humour of THAT season is gone.

I hate booing and will never see why anyone might think it could help, but it is, unfortunately, a fact of life now.

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe it was sly dig at that small minority which is fair enough IMO. If you're not one of the boo boys then it's not aimed at you. What's the problem? 

I don't think he should really be taking digs at anyone that pays their money to watch the matches, and despite the fact that he has put a fortune into the club, he would do well to remember that maybe these people kept the club running with their money when times weren't so good.

Just think using the fans to try and reflect away from the more important issues is a poor effort.

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Desperate to know whether the Derby Way has been abandoned. 

It's a horrible phrase but it's a sound philosophy. 

I get the feeling that it hasn't. 

Which makes me even more annoyed. Honestly, with 'The Derby Way' in mind I'd have taken the safety off after Kaiserlauten and pulled the trigger after Burton. 

Archived