Mel Q&A with Marketing Derby

Day

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Me neither, seems like a sly dig at the fans and let's be honest it's a small minority who boo.

Think I would have been tempted to say the fans are very reluctant to part with £25 to go and watch a team with no obvious plan playing out drab 0-0 matches without hardly any shots on target!

Some fans need a dig. And you'll find the one's that moan about that comment the most will be the one's that don't mind having a dig at him.

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you say that, but players talk to other players. What do you think Nick Blackman would say to a player who was considering an offer to join?

He would say "if i can get in the team you've got no worries"

Interesting that Tom made 18 tweets yet 15 pages are pretty much all focused on one, the booing. Yet nobody openly admits to booing on here so it really doesn't apply to most. Trying to brush it off as a nothing issue because other club fans boo, 2 wrongs don't make a right, the booing has been pathetic, sadly it is becoming more and more common in football now, doesn't mean we have to join in or justify the reasons for booing.

That's one more post to add to the boo discussion. 

Boooo. 

Just now, David said:

Interesting that Tom made 18 tweets yet 15 pages are pretty much all focused on one, the booing. Yet nobody openly admits to booing on here so it really doesn't apply to most. Trying to brush it off as a nothing issue because other club fans boo, 2 wrongs don't make a right, the booing has been pathetic, sadly it is becoming more and more common in football now, doesn't mean we have to join in or justify the reasons for booing.

That's one more post to add to the boo discussion. 

Boooo. 

I think people boo when the team play crap. 

I never boo .

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

I think people boo when the team play crap. 

I never boo .

Curtains, for once I think I agree with you.....I mean I've never seen a team get boo'd off for playing great.

One excuse I like the most is the boo'ing was for the ref, what happened to the classic the referees a anchor? Not doubt who you are aiming your venom at.....then again that's like abusing the guy who's about to cook your kebab, big no no unless you like extra sauce.

Walk out early, have a balti pie, that will work.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Curtains, for once I think I agree with you.....I mean I've never seen a team get boo'd off for playing crap.

One excuse I like the most is the boo'ing was for the ref, what happened to the classic the referees a anchor? Not doubt who you are aiming your venom at.....then again that's like abusing the guy who's about to cook your kebab, big no no unless you like extra sauce.

Walk out early, have a balti pie, that will work.

I wish all life's issues was sorted by balti pie or kebab. Hmmm pies and kebabs. Pies or kebabs. I like both so life would be just great. What about a kebab pie?!

Some of the posts on Facebook fan groups are beyond reason. 

'Pack up and get out you moron' is just one but there's lots like that. 

I don't know what to say about it other than there are ****** and it's the people voicing opinions like that, not Mel. 

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I haven't noticed a mass exodus of players from clubs where the fans boo them I also haven't heard of players having get out clauses written into their contracts in case their fans have the temerity to boo them

Because the players would say that was the reason why they left! Or maybe they just feign injury and think stuff you I'll keep dragging a wage without playing for you.

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you say that, but players talk to other players. What do you think Nick Blackman would say to a player who was considering an offer to join?

He would probably say that you will get booed if you put in totally abject performances, I can speak from a position of authority on this matter

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet most players would say booing effects their performance and mentality. Which is enough reason not to do it, surely?

I don't think booing is helpful at all. 

Have you ever tried to stop  someone booing it's impossible  if they are so disposed.

8 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The truth hurts sometimes, a lot of "fans" need to take a good look at themselves and their actions on match days so we can get that feel good factor back. 

Morris was right in his distinction between supporter and fan. Quite rightly nobody has to blindly follow and everyone who pays money should be entitled to an opinion, after all we are largely an entertainments business these day, as is the whole of professional football but more supporters are needed between 90 minutes of football to try and raise the players to greater heights, any form of abuse is not likely to produce a positive result.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I find this very disturbing. Recruiting, key part of any business, and he does it himself?

No wonder we have failed horribly with this. Hopefully he has learnt from this and leaves it to the professionals.

Otherwise, great time to come out. And talk about recruiting new manager in two weeks. Well, it'll take 13 days until Finnish league is over and Valakari is able to move... :ph34r:

Hmm John McGovern at Forest does similar right? Think it's an hard one when you have an influential owner, for him not to be dominant in key appointments. Not saying you're wrong, just hard to find someone you trust to make those decisions without getting involved.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

I don't think booing is helpful at all. 

Have you ever tried to stop  someone booing it's impossible  if they are so disposed.

Yes I have, as have most people around me.

Doesn't work though, if you're stupid enough to boo you're stupid enough enough to see no harm in it.

Before anyone says it's all glory hunters who boo, it's often people who've seen it all before who are the worst.

Great to hear from MM about all this, the boardroom has been quite, perhaps understandably, but it's still good for all us fans to hear his opinion on what's going on. I'm glad he's admitted the clubs made some mistakes, and I hope he acts on what he's said and improves recruitment quality etc, even if I don't nessercerily agree with everything he's said.

On the booing part, I think it's quite harsh to make it seem like it's just a problem at our club, I'm sure other clubs have a bigger reputation for it than we do. I believe that booing is only acceptable when players aren't giving their all, which I think when the booing started was the true story early in this season and in parts of last season too, however others now seem to believe it's acceptable to boo just because we aren't winning, which isn't fair and isn't remotely helpful. If players give their all, they deserve all our support imo, complaints should be directed elsewhere

The more I hear from Mel the more I like him. No dull cliches, he says why we did stuff ( panic buys due to injuries etc ) and the statements of the obvious .. You need your fans behind you. It isn't that complicated, we all see it and understand it (well most of do ) 

He says it as a fan might. Not excuses but explanations of logic. The key is to take something from every experience, decision, success and failure and look forward.

i just think we are lucky to have solid foundations at this great club. Yes there will be arguments between foremen and bricklayers and even the site manager ... But you know what ? There isn't much wrong with what we have .. Let's love it and win some games 

Archived