Mel Q&A with Marketing Derby

Day

Is this an olive branch to Steve Mac? 

"I think the hiring of Steve McClaren was brilliant," said Morris. "A lot of people hated the decision at the time, but in actual fact it made this club what it is, even today. He created a style of play that allowed people like Chris Martin – a free transfer – to perform and do a fantastic role at this club. We have not seen football like that for many, many years. We built on that and the idea was to continue with that – and still is."

If it is, I'd be happy to have him back in preference to Chris Powell - I like Chris Powell and he is the best left back that I have seen play for Derby - but SM's management credentials are the stronger of the two imo. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I'm just wondering whether it is worse to pay your money go to the match and boo at half time when the score is 0 - 0. Or listen on the radio and boo.

What do you guys think?

Less than 1500 a season listening to RD boooooo    lol. 

49 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting that Tom made 18 tweets yet 15 pages are pretty much all focused on one, the booing. Yet nobody openly admits to booing on here so it really doesn't apply to most. Trying to brush it off as a nothing issue because other club fans boo, 2 wrongs don't make a right, the booing has been pathetic, sadly it is becoming more and more common in football now, doesn't mean we have to join in or justify the reasons for booing.

That's one more post to add to the boo discussion. 

Boooo. 

Most of the posts however are the comment about players not coming here because of the booing, and appears to be placing blame on fans for showing their unhappiness at the performance, and Derby missing out on players.  I'm suprised he has gone down this route, and this along with the expectations comment imo is out of order.  A lot of people spent a good portion of their salary watching Derby, and frustrations can boil over, this is not a modern day football thing, it has always been there, I remember the hatred aimed at the bald eagle at Barnsley, the treatment of Stern John in a Derby shirt to name just two.  

Maybe because the booing probably isn't picked up very loud on your TV you haven't noticed it before, but it's always been there, the same people probably responsible, and still will be during this, the next and any other manager we bring in, however this isn't the reason we have been **** under his tenure as owner, and id rather hear about what went wrong and lessons learned with the previous managers than what appears to be a rant at the fans / supporters or whatever he wants to call them.

29 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

"I think the hiring of Steve McClaren was brilliant," said Morris. "A lot of people hated the decision at the time, but in actual fact it made this club what it is, even today. He created a style of play that allowed people like Chris Martin – a free transfer – to perform and do a fantastic role at this club. We have not seen football like that for many, many years. We built on that and the idea was to continue with that – and still is."

If it is, I'd be happy to have him back in preference to Chris Powell - I like Chris Powell and he is the best left back that I have seen play for Derby - but SM's management credentials are the stronger of the two imo. 

I'd say it's him explaining why McClaren was so successful. He carried on Clough's work rather than by doing things his way. People don't like to accept it but Clough implemented the style of play, not McClaren. We were scoring McClarenesque goals for about a year before his time. We played the top two that season before Clough was sacked and they BOTH parked the bus against us, runaway champions Leicester only beat us because of a freak own goal! 

McClaren tweaked the system and let everybody loose with Eustace providing security.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I bet most players would say booing effects their performance and mentality. Which is enough reason not to do it, surely?

And I bet a lot of fans would say piss poor performances from the players ruins their weekend...surely that would give the players enough reason to not put fans in a position where they felt booing was necessary!

Ok...waders on....not commented on any of this so far. Here goes. 

Firstly I have been quite firm in previous seasons about supporters booing. I don't agree with it one iota. Our chairman is correct in my opinion in that it certainly isn't conducive to positive playing conditions within iPro stadium for our team. 

However... To say players are reluctant to come to a club where supporters boo at half time tells me much about the character of these players and quite frankly I wouldn't want them playing for us. I don't want players who prefer an easy ride. 

Fans at Derby were disgruntled and starved of much entertainment during Tim Wards tenure. Even during Brian Cloughs first season. So they rolled their sleeves up, realized what was needed and started signing players with character, players with guts and players who would shed blood for the cause. You could point to other clubs and say they had better players 1-11 but none had more heart. 

You really can't say many of our current crop fit the " shed blood for the cause" character. Keogh be about it for me... 

So come off it Mel... It's not the supporters you should give slight to. Have a look at the character of player you, Sam Rush and " this months manager" are hoping to sign. Take a look at Eddie Howes Bournemouth for example... And for heavens sake give our poor fans something to cheer. Because they will you know...they will cheer like billyo given half a chance. 

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

I think this is a hint to mac.

Come and ask for your job back but you will have to make the first move. 

re booing.....listened to Tony Cascarino talking after the England game about the booing of Rooney.......he said in this country players get of lightly because supporters only boo from his own experience on the continent it gets much more extreme.Went on to say though being booed is not nice for the players family the player himself as well but they need to man up if they allow it to affect them.

Boo to all this talk of booing, it's a smokescreen. Not saying deliberately so by MM, he was right to mention it, but it appears to have become the reason we have failed. There is an air of negativity about the club, but that is borne from the apparent chaos the club appears to be in.

The club has been a shambles since S-Mac had his scarlet head turned by Newcastle, poor decision after poor decision, in choice of managers and players. When he finally gets a proper manager in, it all goes tits up within weeks.

Booing is pointless and counter-productive but lets not give it any credit for the mess we have found ourselves in this season.

So much I could boo about on here.....

The chairman is niave to think he shouldn't receive any critiscism from any corner.

As I've been away from the forum just one more comment from other week regarding Radio Derby blackout. 

It certainly feels there is a them vs us scenario now been created by the club. 

41 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Ok...waders on....not commented on any of this so far. Here goes. 

Firstly I have been quite firm in previous seasons about supporters booing. I don't agree with it one iota. Our chairman is correct in my opinion in that it certainly isn't conducive to positive playing conditions within iPro stadium for our team. 

However... To say players are reluctant to come to a club where supporters boo at half time tells me much about the character of these players and quite frankly I wouldn't want them playing for us. I don't want players who prefer an easy ride. 

Fans at Derby were disgruntled and starved of much entertainment during Tim Wards tenure. Even during Brian Cloughs first season. So they rolled their sleeves up, realized what was needed and started signing players with character, players with guts and players who would shed blood for the cause. You could point to other clubs and say they had better players 1-11 but none had more heart. 

You really can't say many of our current crop fit the " shed blood for the cause" character. Keogh be about it for me... 

So come off it Mel... It's not the supporters you should give slight to. Have a look at the character of player you, Sam Rush and " this months manager" are hoping to sign. Take a look at Eddie Howes Bournemouth for example... And for heavens sake give our poor fans something to cheer. Because they will you know...they will cheer like billyo given half a chance. 

Chapeau to you Sir !

7 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Boo to all this talk of booing, it's a smokescreen. Not saying deliberately so by MM, he was right to mention it, but it appears to have become the reason we have failed. There is an air of negativity about the club, but that is borne from the apparent chaos the club appears to be in.

The club has been a shambles since S-Mac had his scarlet head turned by Newcastle, poor decision after poor decision, in choice of managers and players. When he finally gets a proper manager in, it all goes tits up within weeks.

Booing is pointless and counter-productive but lets not give it any credit for the mess we have found ourselves in this season.

Don't see how it's a smokescreen when it's one tweet out of 18 that Tom put out there on his own personal timeline, 140 chars with no context in how the answer came, this was a q&a event for Marketing Derby, as far as I'm aware it wasn't a media event to reach out to fans.

3 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

I agree, and that was my point, but you can't say it hasn't dominated this thread?

It has but it's unfair to call it a smokescreen, it's one tweet that most have picked up on for whatever reason. I'm sure he said it, Tom wouldn't lie but what was the question for the answer? The context.

Hi Mel, what do you think to the recent booing....

1 minute ago, David said:

It has but it's unfair to call it a smokescreen, it's one tweet that most have picked up on for whatever reason. I'm sure he said it, Tom wouldn't lie but what was the question for the answer? The context.

Hi Mel, what do you think to the recent booing....

I said not from Mel particularly, and I meant smokescreen in the respect it's stealing the limelight from all the other things that were said. I think we're sort of agreeing.

Just now, Purpleram said:

I said not from Mel particularly, and I meant smokescreen in the respect it's stealing the limelight from all the other things that were said. I think we're sort of agreeing.

Apologies, not many agree with me so when it happens I get confused :p 

Archived