Return of the Mac

toddy

I'm not sure Mac is the answer. We have a situation already in which the plan seems to be all-out defence on the pitch, all out attack on the bench.

Mac had a habit of throwing on three forwards when we were losing, thus leaving us exposed.

I don't think it matters who the manager is until January. We lack proper defenders and have no consistent defensive midfielder. Until we get these, we won't see a return of the flowing football we crave from the other five and will always be liable to ship goals when the pressure is on.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd rather we had too much attack than the opposite..that's what I go for even if it means losing 5 to 4....at least we are entertained

I feel like thats the approach Forest are going for this season. 

In past years (Mac years) this has gone well for us, 

But looking back, Do you really want to be drawing 3-3 away at places like Millwall at the end of the season when all you need to do is scrape a 1-0 win to get the 3 points?

4 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

But looking back, Do you really want to be drawing 3-3 away at places like Millwall at the end of the season when all you need to do is scrape a 1-0 win to get the 3 points?

Yes... I like my football entertaining not brutally efficient...

I'd rather have the heartache of the Stevie Mac seasons than the bore of the Billy Davies era...

Just now, cheron85 said:

Yes... I like my football entertaining not brutally efficient...

I'd rather have the heartache of the Stevie Mac seasons than the bore of the Billy Davies era...

Of course, I think everyone would rather the Wolly with the Brolly than The wee scottsman. 

21 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

This is something of a fallacy, we only started shipping goals under Mac when we had a whole bunch of injuries in a short space of time before that our defensive record was pretty good.

On 28/09/2016 at 15:03, cannable said:

"I love it here. I don't want to let people down. Like it or lump it I'm staying here!" - Steve McClaren, 06/01/15

"I hear the speculation, I see it, but I'm 100% committed to Derby County at this point. I've been saying it for months, that my total focus, my total commitment, is on Derby County. For three-quarters of the season we were one of the best teams in the league. I really felt when we went top of the league we could get in to the Premier League. In the last two months injuries have come thick and fast to important, experienced players and we lost momentum. It derailed us and we failed to get back on track. There is still a lot more to come from this team." - Steve McClaren, 06/05/15

"I'm very disappointed with the decision. The club means a huge amount to me, and I was not looking to leave. While we were all unhappy with the way the season ended, I still believe real progress was being made. I do not believe or accept that rumours linking me to the Newcastle United job were a factor in the team's performances this year, as had been alleged. I wanted to remain with the club and was confident in leading the side to a successful season next year." - Steve McClaren, 26/05/15

McClaren rejected Newcastle's approach in January in the wake of Alan Pardew's exit and again said 'no' with three matches of the season remaining, on both occasions deciding to remain at Derby County, where he was eventually sacked last month after missing out on the Championship play-offs. - The Daily Mail, 11/06/15

I'm not really sure what more fans could ask for?

You don't get appointed on the board of a premier league club in a week after being sacked from a championship club.

He only denied rumours so Mike Ashley didnt pay his buy out clause.

I've heard enough rumours that McClaren did the dirty on us enough to not want him back

9 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

You don't get appointed on the board of a premier league club in a week after being sacked from a championship club.

I've heard enough rumours that McClaren did the dirty on us enough to not want him back

FACT: He turned them down twice.

10 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

If you believe this then our actions make no sense. Why would we sack him instead of waiting for Newcastle to pay the compensation?

27 minutes ago, Anon said:

If you believe this then our actions make no sense. Why would we sack him instead of waiting for Newcastle to pay the compensation?

In this instance, MM was doing the right thing for the club. NUFC obviously didn't want to pay the compensation and so opted for a game of brinkmanship. Mel had to remove the bad apple form the barrel as he wanted to get things going for the new season. Just a shame that the Clement appointment didn't work out, for whatever reason.

Can't say I haven't mulled this over in my head more than a few times in the past year or so, and since he failed miserably at Newcastle (who wouldn't) I genuinely would consider re-hiring him.

I'll start off by saying I think the Newcastle stuff gets blown way out of proportion by some people. How much of the trouble caused by that situation was McClaren's doing and not people who's ego got hurt that a manager of a championship team would consider an offer from one of the biggest teams in England? We'd been massively successful, that's a side effect of success that you have to deal with.

I also think if everything hadn't gone tits up with injuries and we'd been storming our way to the league title that no one would have given a tupney **** that he hadn't ruled out going to Newcastle, but things were absolutely atrocious and people scapegoated the Newcastle unrest.

But, even if you do think the Newcastle stuff was a big deal, you can almost guarantee it won't be happening again.

McClaren's fallen off the face of the map, I doubt any team in the championship is realistically going to be giving him a job and definitely no one the size of us. The way I see it, we could basically have him by the balls. He's bloody lucky to get another chance with us, he's not going to be getting any other job offers anytime soon and he's definitely learnt the hard way that the grass isn't always greener.

It goes without saying that the style of football is great and it's easily the best football I've ever seen Derby play. The flaw of that period was always that our scouting wasn't really up to scratch and we really weren't making the right moves in the transfer market. We got really unlucky with injuries, but we never had sufficient back-up at striker (we really needed another hold-up ST) and some of our big signings like Albentosa really didn't pan out.

I'm a big advocate of Martin, so you can call me bias but I find it hard not to be bias about the best period of football Derby have had in my personal memory.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

My only worries about Mac coming back is fan attitude towards him. If he has a couple bad results things might turn sour very quickly.

To be fair, that would be the case regardless of who the manager is, in the era of social media etc. Depressing isn't it.

27 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Can't say I haven't mulled this over in my head more than a few times in the past year or so, and since he failed miserably at Newcastle (who wouldn't) I genuinely would consider re-hiring him.

I'll start off by saying I think the Newcastle stuff gets blown way out of proportion by some people. How much of the trouble caused by that situation was McClaren's doing and not people who's ego got hurt that a manager of a championship team would consider an offer from one of the biggest teams in England? We'd been massively successful, that's a side effect of success that you have to deal with.

I also think if everything hadn't gone tits up with injuries and we'd been storming our way to the league title that no one would have given a tupney **** that he hadn't ruled out going to Newcastle, but things were absolutely atrocious and people scapegoated the Newcastle unrest.

But, even if you do think the Newcastle stuff was a big deal, you can almost guarantee it won't be happening again.

McClaren's fallen off the face of the map, I doubt any team in the championship is realistically going to be giving him a job and definitely no one the size of us. The way I see it, we could basically have him by the balls. He's bloody lucky to get another chance with us, he's not going to be getting any other job offers anytime soon and he's definitely learnt the hard way that the grass isn't always greener.

It goes without saying that the style of football is great and it's easily the best football I've ever seen Derby play. The flaw of that period was always that our scouting wasn't really up to scratch and we really weren't making the right moves in the transfer market. We got really unlucky with injuries, but we never had sufficient back-up at striker (we really needed another hold-up ST) and some of our big signings like Albentosa really didn't pan out.

I'm a big advocate of Martin, so you can call me bias but I find it hard not to be bias about the best period of football Derby have had in my personal memory.

I agree completely, 

However, We could easily see him going to a team like Villa and doing well at their place. 

If we do go back to Mac, We will see a divide within the fans and possibly the players. 

A lot of people including myself feel he disrespected the club that he "Loved" and became a successful manager again. 

If he was to come back it would take a lot of convincing to get certain fans around the idea. I feel the players who were here as well would have to come to terms with it but may struggle to trust him again.

And Mr Morris? If he was putting his nose in Pearson's team because he didn't trust him enough to do his job. Do people really think he'll trust someone who snaked the club? Highly doubt it. 

Archived