Return of the Mac

toddy

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Yeah but the thing I've realised in recent years is that most Derby fans are stupid 

Maybe, but hopefully the one fan that counts isn’t stupid enough to bring SM back as manager.

I heard most, maybe all, of the Radio Derby interviews with SM about the Newcastle interest and no matter what words he used I always ended up with the feeling that he was dissembling. For some reason he just never came across as being that genuine. Sometimes tone and style of delivery matter just as much, if not more, than the words themselves.

I don’t think the Newcastle speculation affected the outcome that season but it was a constant irritation to the fans. It also crossed my mind that SM quite liked the renewed, wider media attention that came with being linked to a PL team. That made it doubly annoying.

I thought the outcome of that season was partly down to injuries and piss poor recruitment and partly down to SMs cluelessness as a manager when things started to go wrong. I would have given SM another season to try and turn it around but MM didn’t - and I didn’t feel that strongly about MM’s decision one way or another.

By the way, you could see the same SM cluelessness when he finally got his dream job at Newcastle. Then you look at what Benitez has achieved at Newcastle. Rafa for Derby. 

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ramesses said:

Maybe, but hopefully the one fan that counts isn’t stupid enough to bring SM back as manager.

I heard most, maybe all, of the Radio Derby interviews with SM about the Newcastle interest and no matter what words he used I always ended up with the feeling that he was dissembling. For some reason he just never came across as being that genuine. Sometimes tone and style of delivery matter just as much, if not more, than the words themselves.

I don’t think the Newcastle speculation affected the outcome that season but it was a constant irritation to the fans. It also crossed my mind that SM quite liked the renewed, wider media attention that came with being linked to a PL team. That made it doubly annoying.

I thought the outcome of that season was partly down to injuries and piss poor recruitment and partly down to SMs cluelessness as a manager when things started to go wrong. I would have given SM another season to try and turn it around but MM didn’t - and I didn’t feel that strongly about MM’s decision one way or another.

By the way, you could see the same SM cluelessness when he finally got his dream job at Newcastle. Then you look at what Benitez has achieved at Newcastle. Rafa for Derby. 

1 - Benitez hasn't achieved anything but spend £50m+ in one transfer window.

2 - Are you seriously suggesting we try and get Benitez from Newcastle?

3 - How can you seriously say that the Newcastle speculation didn't affect Mac?

4 - There was not 1 bad piece of recruitment that year, Bar Leon Best. 

5 - You would have given Mac another season? Not knowing whether he was leaving for Newcastle or not?

No thanks pal.

14 hours ago, ramesses said:

Agree with most of what you say. However, I think history may reflect that Derby County's tenure under McClaren was the best opportunity for promotion. That time unfortunately came and went without success and Rams fans will probably have to accept a lengthy period in the 2nd tier of English football. I have come to accept this and it sort of makes the on going soap opera at the iPro a bit more palatable.

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

Mike Ashley didn't want to pay the compensation and Mel Morris paid it instead

If Mike Ashley didn't want to pay compensation then why would he approach him in January? Or offer him the job with three games of Newcastle's season remaining? At either point he would have had to.

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

He didn't. The case went to a tribunal and Mac didn't get any compensation.

where did you glean this nugget of information?

As far as I know, SMc was sacked, without grounds, and fully compensated, hence the last couple of days negotiating his pay-off.

On Wednesday, October 05, 2016 at 01:52, Mostyn6 said:

where did you glean this nugget of information?

As far as I know, SMc was sacked, without grounds, and fully compensated, hence the last couple of days negotiating his pay-off.

He is wrong. Just tried to find result of hearing but  McClaren did receive his payout from Derby. Derby had no grounds to refuse them.

Sometimes in football, its about being the right man at the right time. At various times in our history, we've needed a complete rebuild (both Cloughs, Cox, Smith) & at other times, we've just needed a fresh voice in the dressing room - undoubtedly the latter is much easier than the total rebuild. I'm firmly of the opinion that Steve McClaren was fortunate to inherit a squad that had been remodeled, was lean, talented and just needed a bit of nous to realise its potential.

When we hired McClaren, his stock was so low he was an assistant manager at QPR. Whilst I don't always buy into the idea of loyalty in football (we'd have driven him out very early had results not worked out), I did find his less than vehement rejection of Newcastle's interest very annoying in the circumstances. I'd argue that McClaren got much more out of Derby than we did out of him - yes, we saw some great football but this was off the back of Clough's team & McClaren didn't even stick around to see the job out - jumping straight to the Premiership ahead of us.

Quite apart from the fact that the circumstances are now much different to October 2013 (much higher expectations, different owner, bloated highly paid squad), I would be very unhappy to see McClaren given another chance here. He had his time & it wasn't enough to satisfy his ambitions. Why would it be different 3 years later?

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Saying 'why would it be different?' is as valid - and no more - as saying 'why would it be the same?'

Don't follow that logic. The greatest indication of future behaviour is past behaviour - your assertion ignores human nature. McClaren is ambitious, has managed England & won national titles abroad - he doesn't think he belongs at a large-medium club in the second tier.

Archived