Return of the Mac

toddy

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

I meant to say we won't  be hovering above the relegation zone in a few weeks time..

Are you suggesting that we will be in it?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, toddy said:

I meant to say we won't  be hovering above the relegation zone in a few weeks time..

Are you confident that a manager looking in won't see it like that ? 

Do you think somebody like Wagner won't think 'I'd rather say at the job I'm at and not get involved in trying to turn around a team so low on confidence'?

Just now, eddie said:

It doesn't matter who is appointed - there is no such thing as guaranteed success. Football is riddled with people who were written off by one group of fans at one club, only for him to emerge at another club and be a huge success. Then, an abject failure next time.

Who is to say that this isn't Chris Powell's time?

Many on here apparently .

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Do you think somebody like Wagner won't think 'I'd rather say at the job I'm at and not get involved in trying to turn around a team so low on confidence'?

Hang on a minute, so low on confidence, I thought Pearson was the cause of all the problems?

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Hang on a minute, so low on confidence, I thought Pearson was the cause of all the problems?

1) Pearson's tactical ineptitude and inflexibility lead to poor performances

2) Poor performances lead to bad results.

3) Bad results lead to low confidence. 

Pearson's 'work' isn't going to be fixed over night. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

1) Pearson's tactical ineptitude and inflexibility lead to poor performances

2) Poor performances lead to bad results.

3) Bad results lead to low confidence. 

Pearson's 'work' isn't going to be fixed over night. 

Confidence issue was highlighted by Pearson 1st game of the season.

51 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Powell great bloke but cant believe he is being touted for the job, he wasn't even under consideration was he when Pearson got it? 

If he gets it he will get everyone's support no doubt, but yet again it would feel like a Plan C at best for the second season running

I would much prefer decisive action and an immediate permanent replacement

Like Pearson?

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

He did and I found that weird because I don't think we looked low on confidence as such against Brighton. Where as we definitely started to after a couple of games into his reign.

28 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Nope he'll definitely be like 'I've won Huddersfield the Champions League five times in a row on FIFA16 so screw the money'.  Obviously.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

He did and I found that weird because I don't think we looked low on confidence as such against Brighton. Where as we definitely started to after a couple of games into his reign.

But you and I are not in the dressing room or training pitch.

To his credit I think Pearson identified problems early on, but was unable to get the players to perform. But we had confidence issues in January, February and March, we also had them the previous season around the same time frame. There has a problems within the side for a couple of seasons.

19 minutes ago, toddy said:

I would suggest that was uncertainty.

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

To his credit I think Pearson identified problems early on, but was unable to get the players to perform. But we had confidence issues in January, February and March, we also had them the previous season around the same time frame. There has a problems within the side for a couple of seasons.

He may have done but even in that case he took us from a top 6 team who occasionally looked fragile and turned us into a turgid team devoid of confidence, wallowing in the nether reaches of the table. All whilst trying to impose a system that didn't play to the strengths of the squads and actively fed into their weaknesses. 

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The man's good, he's not a bloody miracle worker!

R

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

the first thing that would happen is POSITIVE football, with a PURPOSE.

Which, is the only thing holding us back now. It was the same under Nigel Clough, where the apologists thought the players weren't up to it, and it's the same now. McClaren would have Blackman and co looking like stars of this league within a couple of months.

Ha ha ha. Blackman...star....ha ha ha brilliant, quite brilliant. (But Stevie would get the best out of him, by moving him on) 

On 09/10/2016 at 22:24, toddy said:

Not sure what problems he supposedly identified but any that he did were problems that he caused in the first place. He leaves this job with absolutely no credit.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure what problems he supposedly identified but any that he did were problems that he caused in the first place. He leaves this job with absolutely no credit.

He went on record to say there was a confidence issue in some players from first game - I mentioned in a tread I started back in August.

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

He went on record to say there was a confidence issue in some players from first game - I mentioned in a tread I started back in August.

So the man that was brought in because he was a brilliant man manager and could get more out of the players, identified a confidence issue before the end of the first month of the season?

If there was a confidence issue that early in the season what was causing it?

Joined this late and I've only read parts of the 22 pages but I think Pearson's tried to correct a few issues by changing everything. He mixe up the squad a bit, he stuck rigidly to a formation that didn't suit and rather than trying to build up the players confidence he continually highlighted how players were struggling with it. The last part always felt like it was an excuse for the poor results that he could hide behind. I'm sure players were struggling with it, at the same time they're trying to adapt to a new formation and integrate new players into the team. That's a lot to ask all at once (they're still people, don't bang on about money they're on, that doesn't make you a robot).

The players are used to, and perform best in, a 4-3-3 formation. Let them play that formation, speak to them about their game and behind closed doors tackle the confidence issue. The news players would find it better to integrate. For me Pearson was too stubborn, too stuck in a 4-4-2 is what I like and he did nothing to change my opinion that he is a manager in the ilk of Warnock, McCarthy, etc. 

I wouldn't want McClaren back. He came to us at the right time and it worked but I don't think it would a 2ns time around. Not sure how the players would react to his return. I would like someone with that ethos though. Someone who got us playing in a formation that suited. He didn't come in and change loads at once. He altered us slightly and it worked. We just need tweaking we don't need another manager coming in thinking that the club needs a massive shake up. We need to give the players a break. We talk about the club needing stability and it does and so do the players. We expect them to get us promoted but they've had 5 managers in around 2 seasons. They've done well under the circumstances 

Archived