Return of the Mac

toddy

10 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I actually think Mel needs to apologise to Steve McClaren. 

McClaren knew Mel wanted to get rid of him, but still remained. The fact that McClaren, WISELY refused to burn any bridges with Newcastle is neither here nor there for me, as McClaren alluded to, he could get the sack any time so it's silly to rule things out definitively.

10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Mel looked him in the eye, and although Mac assured him he wanted to stay and 'put things right', in his own words, Mel still sacked him because his heart wasn't truly in the job, in Mel's opinion.

He sacked a Manager who wanted to stay, who had been so good for us, because Mel knew best.

Agree. And then Mel proceeded to try to deprive McClaren of his rightful payout based on his belief. Before anyone jumps up and argues that Mel was right or wrong in his opinion, it is actually legally irrelevant. He was in no position to win that argument.

That said, while I would love McClaren to return in theory, I cannot see it working. Unless we immediately and continuously win, it would only be a matter of time until the lack of trust - on both sides - gets in the way. I wish it were different but, to me, McClaren returning will end in tears for both him and the club.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Agree. And then Mel proceeded to try to deprive McClaren of his rightful payout based on his belief. Before anyone jumps up and argues that Mel was right or wrong in his opinion, it is actually legally irrelevant. He was in no position to win that argument.

That said, while I would love McClaren to return in theory, I cannot see it working. Unless we immediately and continuously win, it would only be a matter of time until the lack of trust - on both sides - gets in the way. I wish it were different but, to me, McClaren returning will end in tears for both him and the club.

The last paragraph could be said about anyone. Neither fans nor chairman, it seems, have the patience for the long haul.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

The last paragraph could be said about anyone. Neither fans nor chairman, it seems, have the patience for the long haul.

Absolutely true. The proof of that is there for all to see in the last three seasons at Derby...and many other clubs.

But McClaren would return to Derby with less goodwill from the fans than any other manager imaginable (except Billy Davies surely?). He would receive less tolerance from the fans in the event of a bad run than anyone else in my view.

Could you imagine the atmosphere of a meeting between manager and owner in those circumstances? You could easily imagine the slightest tensions getting out of hand in those circumstances.

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I won £100 quid on Pearson's appointment, and once there's more than one bookie offering odds on Mac, I'm going all in.

All in for Mac?

I think we should play poker with some serious money! :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Nooooooooo can believe people are even talking about him... move on.

he was the best manager we had for years took us to wembley and he will take us up and keep us in the prem  this time round

To re-appoint him would be a huge mistake. Whether you believe he was disloyal or not, given the viciousness of a small but extremely vocal element of the current fan-base, at the first sign of a problem he would be vilified and I'm certain, be driven out of the Club, bringing us back to the situation we find ourselves now.

If Pearson goes and it's not going to be Chris Powell, then I would look to someone like Michael Laudrup.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

...at the first sign of a problem he would be vilified and I'm certain, be driven out of the club...

Just like now then? It could happen to any new manager. But it's unlikely Mac will return. Can we find an equal or better replacement? Why can't we identify anyone from abroad?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Just like now then? It could happen to any new manager. But it's unlikely Mac will return. Can we find an equal or better replacement? Why can't we identify anyone from abroad?

Given some of the ****** currently latching on to Derby County you could well be right about it happening to anyone but McLaren is going to be more susceptible to criticism than anyone (apart from that poisonous little Scot).

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mac's strength was that he was a great technical coach. Not great at player identification and although he organised our plan A brilliant,  he lacked flexibility. 

Need to think of the whole backup structure. The right people to surround mac with to leave him to do the bits he's good at.

Just bringing mac back in isolation would not move us forward imo. 

1 hour ago, cymru said:

Maca All the way bring him back please

I have nothing to add to this

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Nooooooooo can believe people are even talking about him... move on.

or this.

Bloody uncomfortable on this fence.

Could Steve be our version of Nigel Pearson for Leicester? Sacked when new owner comes in, club spends loads of money without improving, go through a couple of managers then return to him to get promoted?

Sousa=Clement, Sven=Pearson? ?

7 hours ago, rynny said:

Could Steve be our version of Nigel Pearson for Leicester? Sacked when new owner comes in, club spends loads of money without improving, go through a couple of managers then return to him to get promoted?

Sousa=Clement, Sven=Pearson? ?

if only.......

I guess it all depends whether Pearson can be sacked on gross misconduct grounds. If he can Derby won't have to pay up the remainder of his contract and money will be available to hire a top manager like Bruce,or McClaren or even Wagner who seems to be interesting Aston Villa. If Derby have to pay the remainder of Person's contract I see Powell remaining.

Archived