Return of the Mac

toddy

1 hour ago, Lokidoki said:

It isn't when we try to play it lol

Well we did keep it tight at the back for a while at first... But we couldn't score goals. Then we started conceding, and once the fortress of two banks of four is penetrated, you're still not scoring goals. This is how 4-4-2 always ends, even for our opponents.

So in summary, chin up mate, we're a really good team! Two banks of four won't stop us when we're really on one. Have faith in us :)

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tombo said:

Have faith in us :)

The one thing I have with DCFC is faith, my first match was when I was 4 and my dad took me over the top of the turnstile at the BBG, that was how it was done then back in '61.

Since then I have seen some (meaning a lot of) football, with some years that I have got a lot to matches and others a few, such is life. When you are younger  (meaning 30 -50) you work to provide and sustain. 

I am proud that I saw all of the big matches of the 60's and 70's as a season ticket holder, that means, yes the biggies like Eusebio and Best at the BBG. I also saw us relegated many years ago at the old Ipswich ground.

This means I am burnished when I talk about managers and players and formations along with the fact that I have managed junior football teams too, where positional play is something that you instruct and drill and also try to cajole.

My problem is not with formations as for example what is 433, is it 4-1-2-3, or 4-1-2-2-1 (Derby's historical SM formula)? Or is it implementation?

It was obvious that PC was light years above anyone when it came down to the application of this concept i.e. strategic positional placement, however it did produce (for the most time) winning and  low leakage football that was albeit not too crowd (or Chair) pleasing.

I will therefore summarise my issue. SM was a one trick pony with one way to play; pass go and attack. Newcastle did not change my views. So what is SM gonna' bring now that hasn't been tried before? Apart from sucking up to a bunch of non-crowd pleasing millionaires that could not do a standard day job, what is he going to bring after 3 months when we (he's) have been rumbled again?

17 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

The one thing I have with DCFC is faith, my first match was when I was 4 and my dad took me over the top of the turnstile at the BBG, that was how it was done then back in '61.

Since then I have seen some (meaning a lot of) football, with some years that I have got a lot to matches and others a few, such is life. When you are younger  (meaning 30 -50) you work to provide and sustain. 

I am proud that I saw all of the big matches of the 60's and 70's as a season ticket holder, that means, yes the biggies like Eusebio and Best at the BBG. I also saw us relegated many years ago at the old Ipswich ground.

This means I am burnished when I talk about managers and players and formations along with the fact that I have managed junior football teams too, where positional play is something that you instruct and drill and also try to cajole.

My problem is not with formations as for example what is 433, is it 4-1-2-3, or 4-1-2-2-1 (Derby's historical SM formula)? Or is it implementation?

It was obvious that PC was light years above anyone when it came down to the application of this concept i.e. strategic positional placement, however it did produce (for the most time) winning and  low leakage football that was albeit not too crowd (or Chair) pleasing.

I will therefore summarise my issue. SM was a one trick pony with one way to play; pass go and attack. Newcastle did not change my views. So what is SM gonna' bring now that hasn't been tried before? Apart from sucking up to a bunch of non-crowd pleasing millionaires that could not do a standard day job, what is he going to bring after 3 months when we (he's) have been rumbled again?

Great post and a cracking assessment of SM.

Bringing him back as a re-titled manger will not mask any tactical deficiencies he has or for that matter improve his inability to identify a quality player.

He will now spend Mel’s hard earned to no avail, and in a couple of years we will still be kicking our heels in the Championship.

Feel free to dig this out and chastise me if this not the case.

15 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I don't mind Anya but I don't think he should be any more than a useful squad player. He just looks like an average tryer to me, without much ingenuity.

He makes Russell and Camara look like school boys.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yes, he was sacked. He may have deserved it for the collapse, some will say he did, but YOU say he left etc, which he didn't.

We all know he was sacked & no-one suggested otherwise. He takes responsibility for his departure - my point all along.

You were arguing he was a victim of circumstance - he wasn't.

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You don't seriously think that the apology was anything other than a PR stunt, an agreement between Mel and Steve on what he needed to say for all to save face. He was hardly going to continue to say he shouldn't have been sacked was he? Read between the lines for goodness sake. Anyway, exciting times ahead. Time to move on....

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

You don't seriously think that the apology was anything other than a PR stunt, an agreement between Mel and Steve on what he needed to say for all to save face. He was hardly going to continue to say he shouldn't have been sacked was he? Read between the lines for goodness sake. Anyway, exciting times ahead. Time to move on....

Surprised Mostyn didn't just churn this out!

Lets put it this way, if he genuinely believed he was hard done to last year, I think it very unlikely he would have said something totally to the contrary now. He could have just glossed over the subject.

But I agree with your sentiment - time to move on. 

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Surprised Mostyn didn't just churn this out!

Lets put it this way, if he genuinely believed he was hard done to last year, I think it very unlikely he would have said something totally to the contrary now. He could have just glossed over the subject.

But I agree with your sentiment - time to move on. 

But how would that have worked in practice, at press conferences with Mel and Steve side by side. 'Steve, do you think you were unfortunate to be sacked last time round?' Steve-'Yes, definitely, I pledged my support to Derby County at least 3 times. I said I was staying'. 'Mel, what do you think about this?'. Mel 'Well, that was not exactly how things were at the time Steve'.......

They would have agreed that an 'apology' like this had to be made. It would have all been carefully worded, the aim being to move on as positively as possible with everyone saving face. If Steve Mac doubters believe the apology was an apology great-if that means we can all move on and get behind Stevie Mac and the team, all the better!!

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Camara sure. But Russell has a far far better track record than Anya at this level.

Anya can actually beat full backs..........

He also looks great without Mac's input, so I image he will get even better....................

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Anya can actually beat full backs..........

Sure about that ? 

Because if you look at the statistics Russell has 1.1 successful dribbles per game as opposed to the 0.8 from Anya. Combine this with the fact Russell generally scores more and has higher numbers of assists....

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Sure about that ? 

Because if you look at the statistics Russell has 1.1 successful dribbles per game as opposed to the 0.8 from Anya. Combine this with the fact Russell generally scores more and has higher numbers of assists....

Anya has been playing at a higher level than Russell, but since Anya has been here, looks and plays so much better than Russell has done this season. I know which one I would have in my team.............

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

Anya has been playing at a higher level than Russell, but since Anya has been here, looks and plays so much better than Russell has done this season. I know which one I would have in my team.............

Yeah his past stats are still comfortably better even if you only consider championship appearances. 

I will concede that Russell has looked worse than Anya this season but nearly every other player has looked poor under Pearson. And maybe Mac will bring something out of Anya I haven't seen but from I've seen of him (from now and at Watford) he looks no more than a steady squad player and certainly not an improvement on Russell.

Archived