Beer Thread

Cisse

On 04/03/2021 at 20:26, Eddie said:

That's always been one of the things that's impressed me about Belgium and The Netherlands - the rail travel. So fast, so reliable and so cheap, relatively speaking.

Subsidised no doubt by the UK rail services they run, with nothing like the same standards.

Other than electricity generation, is there anything more backwards about this country than our rail system?

We insist on a franchise system as best value, even blaming the EU for such a system, then let foreign government owned operations run said franchises and move the profits into the the domestic services they run?

Sidestepping the politics, this is what I've been drinking tonight...

beerh.thumb.jpg.03135b11826473ef5d56e39bac8e323f.jpg

The Fort Lapin Quad is much more complex than Barista Chocolate Quad. Sometimes, though, complexity isn't everything. Don't get me wrong - it's nice, but I would rank it a distant third on tonight's menu behind the Westmalle Dubbel (unquestionably world class) and the Duvel Citra, which is pretty damned outstanding too.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Currently enjoying a Chti which is nice and smooth. 

IMG_20210306_180911.jpg

I saw they had those at BoE a couple of days ago when I was struggling for Belgians and considered trying one - then I chucked a couple of Samichlaus in and all was right in the world.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Couple of these to help forget the tripe I have watched this afternoon.

7B990033-3F4B-49F6-868C-B2D5584968EA.jpeg

I watched a recording of West Indies v Sri Lanka 2nd T20.

It wasn't until 6:00 pm that I remembered we had been playing. To tell the truth, we had earlier shared a large Tripel Karmeleit and a couple of very nice Doppelbocks. I'm surprised that I could even remember to breathe.

(hic)

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I watched a recording of West Indies v Sri Lanka 2nd T20.

It wasn't until 6:00 pm that I remembered we had been playing. To tell the truth, we had earlier shared a large Tripel Karmeleit and a couple of very nice Doppelbocks. I'm surprised that I could even remember to breathe.

(hic)

That’s reminded me that’s the second pile of tripe I’ve watched today.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Beers of Europe order in

Abbaye des Rocs Triple Imperiale 75cl
Adnams Tally-Ho
Adnams Triple Knot Tripel
Ayinger Celebrator (x2)
Duvel 6.66 Blond
Fort Lapin Hoplapin
Fort Lapin Rouge
Fort Lapin Triple
La Corne du Bois des Pendus La Triple 10
Malheur 12
Mount St. Bernard Abbey Tynt Meadow (x2)
O Brother Deep Love Can
O Brother Exploded View Can
O Brother One Beating Heart Can
O Brother The Sinner IPA Can
Samuel Smiths Stingo
Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Meine Hopfenweisse (x2)
Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus (x2)
Trappist Achel Extra Dark
Trappistes Rochefort 10 (x2)
Troubadour Obscura
Urthel Samaranth
Wilderen Cuvee Clarisse

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 16:56, Coconut said:

Another Beers of Europe order in

<snip>

I had a Beers of Europe order arrive today - or rather, some of it. The knock on the door came while we were in the garden, but we heard it and collected 2 small boxes, just as the van was leaving. It didn't look right - the boxes weren't marked 'Beers of Europe' - and they were half the normal size. When we opened them, there were only 23 beers, whereas the order was for 48, and there was no invoice in either box. I took photos of the boxes, what had arrived etc, the boxes, the markings on the boxes and so on, then contacted both Beers of Europe and DHL. Basically around £100 worth of beer is missing. 

No reply from either company yet. I am seriously pissed off.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I had a Beers of Europe order arrive today - or rather, some of it. The knock on the door came while we were in the garden, but we heard it and collected 2 small boxes, just as the van was leaving. It didn't look right - the boxes weren't marked 'Beers of Europe' - and they were half the normal size. When we opened them, there were only 23 beers, whereas the order was for 48, and there was no invoice in either box. I took photos of the boxes, what had arrived etc, the boxes, the markings on the boxes and so on, then contacted both Beers of Europe and DHL. Basically around £100 worth of beer is missing. 

No reply from either company yet. I am seriously pissed off.

I had the same, from the same company. They'd split the orders, and not numbered the boxes. The balance turned up two days later.

18 hours ago, Rev said:

I had the same, from the same company. They'd split the orders, and not numbered the boxes. The balance turned up two days later.

This was definitely breakage. I checked with DHL and 24 hours later finally got a reply saying "Oh yes, sorry, our bad, contact the vendor to arrange a refund". Beers of Europe paid nearly £90 into my account earlier this afternoon, and I put a new order in.

If it had been a gift from somebody else, nobody would ever have been the wiser. There were three giveaways:

• No invoice
  • A completely different method of packing.
  • There was evidence that the labels had been removed and re-attached (cardboard residue still attached to the back).

Yes, I've probably been reading too many Jack Reacher books.

i felt it was time i performed a taste test on Icelandic beers i have not tried.  There are over a hundred of them, so i have plenty on the agenda.  Bought 4 today and tried 2. 

First down the gullet was a strange one from RVK named Magnús Frúktus, a fruit sour, Easter brew.  Nothing like any beer i've tasted, in fact am not sure it could be called a beer.  Had a hard time finishing the bottle, but admit the buzz was delightful in a fruity sort of way.

Next from Borgbrugghús, Satan Saison Nr.86.  Closer to being a beer but still too fruity for my taste.  If some beers make you bloated, beware of this one, it's 3 hours since i drank it and i am still suffering.  Get thee behind me, Satan.

More after Easter, if i dare

I feel conned: Some years ago in Cornwall I discovered this nice little local beer called Doombar. Gradually it has spread its reach to loads more areas and even chain restaurants. Somehow it seemed to taste different. Now I know why!

Bought a case recently and looking at the label it plays up the Cornish heritage, local ancient brewery, etc. Then right at the bottom it says BREWED IN BURTON!