Beer Thread

Cisse

4 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

What a coincidence!!!! we drank a bottle of this tonight and my wife Kristin reviewed it on the Beers Of Europe website. What a fantastic beer. Can also recommend the Kloster Scheyern Doppelbock which we had the other day

Coincidence indeed - and it's taken over from Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock as my favourite German tipple. We have 2 bottles of the Scheyern Doppelbock - will try one tomorrow. Beers of Europe have become my 'go to' site for German and Belgian beers since the thing which cannot be mentioned here (oh, and for Tynt Meadow - it's cheaper from there than buying directly from the Monastery).

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Coincidence indeed - and it's taken over from Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock as my favourite German tipple. We have 2 bottles of the Scheyern Doppelbock - will try one tomorrow. Beers of Europe have become my 'go to' site for German and Belgian beers since the thing which cannot be mentioned here (oh, and for Tynt Meadow - it's cheaper from there than buying directly from the Monastery).

Will look out for the Eisbock. We had a mixed German Christmas beer selection which included Nordbrau Ingolstadt Eisbock that we liked. Also have a bottle of Kulmbacher Eisbock waiting to be sampled. 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Eddie, they have Tynt Meadow in stock according to their website!

Is this the magical potion you were on about, or is it a "lesser brew" so to speak?

It is indeed the magical Leicestershire Trappist holy water.

Just a few pence over £60 for 24 bottles and free delivery. I got a box a couple of weeks ago, so I'm sorted at the moment. We usually have 3 orders a month from BoE - a box of (mainly) German for the missus, a box for me and 15 or 16 75 cl bottles for afternoon sharing.

I did a 'short and sweet' review last year...

A deep brown, rich, absolute belter of a beer, malty with toffee/chocolate notes. This beer has grown on me over the last two years. Leave some for me

It certainly has grown on me - the beer has improved by leaps and bounds since they started the brewery at the monastery in 2017 or 2018, and it is truly worthy of the Trappist badge and is, in my opinion, world class. I would place it as the equal of Westmalle Dubbel or Chimay Blue. Not in Westvleteren class yet, but what else is (apart from possibly St Bernardus Abt 12 or Rochefort 10).

Seeing as it appears to be BOE or nothing, I've put an order in.

Het Kapittel ABT 750ml
Het Kapittel Prior 750ml
Kasteel Cuvee du Chateau 750ml
Kasteel Dunkel 750ml
Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel 750ml
Lindemans / Mikkeller Spontanbasil 750ml

De Dochter van de Korenaar Crime Passionnel
Van Eecke Cuvee Watou
Ter Dolen Armand
La Biere des Collines Quintine Ambree
Scotch Silly
Bush/Scaldis Ambree
De Ryck Arend Tripel
Noir de Dottignies
Leffe 9 Rituel
Bonsecours Blonde
Boerken Belgisch Bier
Caracole Ambree
Schlenkerla Rauchbier
Schlenkerla Rauchweizen
Weltenburger Hefe-weissbier Dunkel
Anarchy The Great Elmyra
O Brother Bat Country
Mad Dog Wee Heavy

Edited by Coconut

50 minutes ago, sage said:

I wonder what it is going to be like nipping over to Belgium and bringing stuff back?

Anybody heard how strict they are being on personal stuff?

Just checked. The official limit is 42 litres per person. So 126 bottles. 

I'd better tell my tee total lad he is coming to Belgium with me this Autumn.